PDA

View Full Version : Christian Zealots Destroy Ancient Arctic Petroglyphs

Northerner
Sunday, August 27th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Randy Boswell
CanWest News Service
Saturday, August 26, 2006

Canada's only major Arctic petroglyph site -- a 1,500-year-old gallery of mysterious faces carved into a soapstone ridge on a tiny island off of Quebec's northern coast -- has been ransacked by vandals in what the region's top archeologist suspects was a religiously motivated attack by devout Christians from a nearby Inuit community.

For years, heritage advocates have sought special protection for the ancient etchings at Qajartalik Island, located about one hour by boat from the 500-resident village of Kangiqsujuaq. Experts believe they were created by the extinct Dorset culture, an artistically advanced civilization that occupied much of the eastern Arctic before they were killed or driven away by the Thule ancestors of modern Inuit.

More than 170 mask-like images, animal shapes and other symbols have been recorded on the island since the 1960s. Studies suggest Qajartalik was a sacred place, used for Dorset spiritual ceremonies and coming-of-age rituals.

Read more (http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/story.html?id=8abe338f-f3f6-4a2e-a701-082e61411817)

Gorm the Old
Sunday, August 27th, 2006, 01:20 AM
These "devout Christians" are no better than the Taliban."Of course", these petroglyphs, not being Christian in origin, must be the work of the Devil. I wonder if we're going to send troops in to oust these vandals as we did in Afghanistan.

Ælfhere
Sunday, August 27th, 2006, 03:18 AM
That's one thing I hate most of all about Abrahamic religions, they're hellbent on destroying all culture which existed before the point of conversion. Like it never even existed. I've heard how many modern Iranians refuse acknowledge their Zoroastrian past, passing it off as an idolatrous dark age. The Christians went on a rampage during the Reformation destroying not only heathen relics but Celtic Christian pieces of art too. And as Egil said the Taliban Afghans wiped out their pre-Islamic past. Mao's communism seems to have taken a liking to that idea too what with the Cultural Revolution and all.

Culture destroyers be damned. :thumbsdow

The Horned God
Sunday, August 27th, 2006, 05:10 AM
What's most sad to me is that the vandals were christianised Inuits, so all they weredoing was destroying the work of their ancestors, which forms their own cultural heritage.

I hope they got great satisfaction out of it.. :rolleyes: