PDA

View Full Version : How many here are actual Brewers? (Mead, Beer...)

Grimsteinr
Tuesday, August 1st, 2006, 05:18 PM
Well, and, how many here are actual Brewers?
Do you Brew Mead, Melomel, Cyser, Pyment, Methligin, Beer, Ale??
What do ya have working right now?

What are some interesting Brews you have concocted?
Do you go for Flavour? Or for high alcohol?

Do you use your Brews in Good Heathen Hospitality?
Do you use your Brews for Ritual, Blot or Summel?

I have been brewing, of and on, for Fifty years.
I have about 18 cases of 12 oz. long-neck beer bottles I strive to
keep full.
I have about 8 cases of Champagne Bottles, that I endeavor to
keep filled. I use Champagnes for Mead because I can seal them with
the same capper & crown caps as I use for beer bottles.

Right now I have on hand, approx. 2 cases of Sack-Mead and 2 cases
of Braggott-Mead.
Also have on hand, approx. 4 cases or Porter-Ale, 5 cases of light brown
and Amber Ale, 3 cases of Dark Lager, and a case of Old Stout.

I always have something working or aging or settling out.
It is what we do. The Brewer is an important Member of Our Heathen Community.
Aegir, Brewer to the Gods, is one of my Patrons.
Who's yours?
Any Aegir's Folk around?

Deja Brew,
Old Grimsteinr

Ewergrin
Wednesday, August 2nd, 2006, 03:38 AM
A few of the members here are homebrewers, but they seem to have disappeared for a long while now.

Homebrewing is something I would love to do one day, but I have never done it.

Gagnraad
Wednesday, August 2nd, 2006, 03:56 AM
Me and my father brew our own:

- Mead.

- Beer.

- Something which is known in Norway as Heimbrent. (92-96%)

I don't have the recipes here though, would like to share 'em.

And we brew for ourself and to make some money by selling it.

Ewergrin
Monday, August 14th, 2006, 07:45 AM
What's your favorite brew that your father and you have made? Homebreweing is something I would like to do with my sons one day. What other kinds of brews do you make?

brian
Monday, August 14th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I am inclined as well to brew some beer. A couple weeks ago, I was a bit inspired over reading how one would make a basic brew, but woe to me, I couldn't take the next step without the equipment.

I have to head out and get the supplies one day - I have the room in my basement to set it to ferment, at least.

Gagnraad
Monday, August 14th, 2006, 03:11 PM
What's your favorite brew that your father and you have made?
Probably Yule Beer. I remember last Yule, I drank that beer from morning to night. It's probably the best ale I'd ever drank! Can't wait till next Yule :)

Homebreweing is something I would like to do with my sons one day. What other kinds of brews do you make?
Homebrewing is fun, and fit perfectly as a father-and-son(s) activity :D

Well, me and my father create all sorts of ale. And we create that 92%-liquid called Hjemmebrent(Home burned)

We are trying to make Whiskey at the moment. :)

Gagnraad
Monday, August 14th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I am inclined as well to brew some beer. A couple weeks ago, I was a bit inspired over reading how one would make a basic brew, but woe to me, I couldn't take the next step without the equipment.

I have to head out and get the supplies one day - I have the room in my basement to set it to ferment, at least.
Well, me and my father don't use some special equipment. Just ordinary kitchen equipment :)

Innipunn
Tuesday, August 15th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Yupp, made mead off the recipie at www.moonsorrow.com and it worked off fine. A bit too fine actually, the stuff was a bit too easy to drink. I have never been as drunk as I got on mead. I added som Juniper to the recipie, it gave it a nice after-taste. The next time I will add more juniper to make it more bitter and less easily-drunken i think.

PS: Heimbreint in english is "moonshine". ;)
And yes, it's very normal to brew it in norway as our alcohol fees are extremely high.

Ewergrin
Tuesday, August 15th, 2006, 03:33 AM

I think there are home starter kits that start around 100$ or so, with everything needed for making your first batch.

Grimsteinr
Tuesday, February 27th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Been awhile........Hunnh?
Right now we are down to about 3 cases total of Sack & Braggot Mead.
But, duh dunnnn........We have 9 Gallon in 1 gallon jugs clarifying/aging,
in the utility room. And we are down to about 6 cases of various home-brewed Beers.

Presently, I have 2 five gallon batches of beer going, one of Amber English Ale,and one of a nice Dark Porter, sweet & malty.Also I have a 5 gallon batch
of good Amber Braggot bubbling away.Got the "Makings", for another 2 Batches of Beer in the Fridge.

I am not a big drinker, generally have only one beer with dinner, in the evening, unless we have company. And, we only use Mead for Ceremonial, or Ritual Drink, generally.
Dear old doctor, advised me about 35 years ago, that since I have a rough time getting to sleep at night, I should have a Whiskey,(instead of sleeping pills), to quiet me & my hyper-ness. So that's a bed time ritual, for me.
I like Crown Royal, Canadian Club, or about any Irish Whiskey. Tullamore Dew is Great, Jamison or Bushmills is okay too..

Of course, we have a Guest cup, (a bottleof Mead), nearly every time we have Company drop in.
And, the Kindred meets here, about every 6 weeks for Blot & Summal. That generally goes through 4 to 6 Bottles, of Mead and a case of beer.

So, if I don't keep some Brewing going on a regular basis. I soon fall sadly short of Brewed Beverages. It "feels good" just to set up a Batch, cook it,
yeast it, and see it start "Working. I highly recommend it.
Have Fun.

VikingBob
Sunday, July 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Well, I'm a cider maker, brewer, butcher and now gym instructor by trade ( I think that may cover a lot of the Norse virtues in a way! ;) )

I have the pleasure of living at an outdoor lesiure/ equine/ agriculture college in England and I have no shortage of raw materials to brew with.

Mead takes a long time to brew and mature, but I can give you a simple and quick recipe for a good honey ale, which makes and excellent stop gap while the mead and ciser matures.

You need- 1lb of malt extract, 1lb of honey, a good handfull of dried hops, 1 gallon of water and an ale yeast.

In a large pan, put the malt extract and hops and bring to the boil. Simmer this together for an hour, then add the honey. Simmer for a few minutes more then take off the heat. Add cold water to make the volume back up to 1 gallon and allow to cool, then transfer to a brewing or foodgrade bucket with a lid.

Start the yeast in a cup with a little warm water and sugar, wait an hour, then add to bucket. Cover and leave for a week.
After a week it should have stopped fermenting and begun clearing. You can now bottle it at this stage. You will need old beer bottles for this, caps and a capper, unless you can find beer bottles with the flip top type lid. Any homebreww supply store can supply these. You put half a teaspoon of sugar in each bottle, fill it with the beer, cap it and leave in a warm dark place for a couple of weeks to bottle condition.

Hersir
Tuesday, August 19th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I have brewed dunder using Valfar's recipie. It gets you drunk as a sailor but isnt very good for the stomach, hehe. Should try and brew some beer. As far as I know you dont brew hjemmebrent, but distill it. You cant get over ~20% alcohol with brewing if I remember correctly.

Grimsteinr
Sunday, January 4th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I ran across this thread. So, I thought I'd ask if anyone has been up to Brewing lately? I'm still at it.
Since I run an Asatru Kindred, I like to keep a couple cases of good Mead on hand, for our Blots & Sunbels, as well as a few cases of my Homebrewed Beer for sharing at our Feasts. A good beer goes well with dinner.

The local Brewing shop had an inventory sale last week, at years end, 15% off everything. So I loaded up. I have enough Malt extract on hand for 4, five gallon batches. That'll fill another 8 cases, of 12 oz. bottles.

I also bought 30 #'s of Honey. It'll make two 5 gallon batches. That has recently gone up in price again. Always up, never down.
Since the weather is s'posed to be rough this next week, I'll have time to get to the Brewing again.

Is anyone else Doing any Brewing?

Vingolf
Monday, January 5th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Does anyone here have the old recipe (mead) at hand? Links?

Grimsteinr
Monday, January 5th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I don't mean to be snarky here, but....
The simplest Mead is............
2 1/2 to 3 #'s of Honey to 1 gallon of water.
Dissolve the Honey in the water.
Add 1 pkg of wine yeast.
You can give it some "character" by adding 1 tblsp of lemon juice and/or
1 tblsp of strong tea.

Put it all in a large jug with an air lock, with water in it.
Within a 3 or 4 months you will have Mead.
Not great Mead, but Mead.
If you are content with that, there ya go.

The more study you put into Brewing, the Better Brewer you may become.
Mead is a living liquid. Yeast makes it so. Yeast is not just a substance.
It is a collection of living organisms.
Making Great Mead is partly science, partly art and partly Luck
More Knowledge, more expereience, improves all three.
As I said earlier I do not mean to be snarky.:)

Vingolf
Monday, January 5th, 2009, 03:19 PM
The simplest Mead is........ Dissolve the Honey in the water. Add 1 pkg of wine yeast.
I was more looking for the original/genuine mead (without modern yeast).

Something like this, I guess:

http://www.runristare.se/vikingtips/mjod/mjod.html

Hersir
Monday, January 5th, 2009, 06:01 PM
http://www.arild-hauge.com/mead.htm (Norwegian)

Grimsteinr
Tuesday, January 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I was more looking for the original/genuine mead (without modern yeast).

Something like this, I guess:

http://www.runristare.se/vikingtips/mjod/mjod.html

I was under the impression that any brew, made with Honey and water is
"genuine Mead".
Well, at least it is here in the U.S.
I'll have to skip your good articles as I only read English.

I know from experience that relying on wild yeast is chancy, at best.
I've tried it once, as an experiment with a one gallon batch. It was okay.

At the price of Honey, over here, and using 15 to 18 pounds for a 5 gallon
batch, I choose not to leave much to chance.
I make a Mead and a good Braggot, that is very palatable, and sufficiently strong, to be used in service to the Aesir & Vanir. I generally brew 20 to 30 gallons of Mead & Braggot, a year, for the use of our Kindred and for Yule gifts. It is always well accepted.

Let me know how yours turns out, please.

Grimsteinr
Wednesday, January 7th, 2009, 02:59 PM
After setting up & yeasting the batch of Mead and batch of Braggot, Monday,
yesterday, I cooked up a 5 gallon batch of Robust Brown Ale.
The ingredients were:
1/2# of Crystal Malt
1/2 # of Chocolate Malt.
4#(1.8kg) of Amber Malt Extract
3# of dry Amber Malt Extract
1 1/2 oz. of Cascade leaf Hops
1 oz. of Willamette Hop pellets.
I used a one hour boil.And, I yeasted it last evening.
It was working away merrily, this morning.
Is anyone else Brewing, today??

Vingolf
Wednesday, January 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Is anyone else Brewing, today??
Hmmm.. just getting started... How do you store the mead? In oak barrels?

jacktheknife
Wednesday, January 7th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Gentlemen,

Howdy, I live down here in northern Texas.
And I have been brewing for 15-16 years, {I can't remember}
but I brew 'Mein acht pfund Hammerbier' with DME {8 Lbs dried extract}
with specialty grains steeped in.
I have brewed as much as 2,000 12 oz bottles of ale
in one six month brewing season.
I brewed 50 Lbs of DME last month and made 6 batches of Mein Hammerbier.
This month however I am spending my time in the woods coon hunting with my Walker hound Sandymay.
{It is Janurary.}
and I need all my disability check for other things.
ie. Sandpaper for the knife shop, and materials for building coops for my poultry empire.

I have on hand two batches,
about 92, 12 oz bottles of 6 3/4 % alcohol ale.

I have never tasted mead.
And would like to try making Apfelwein.
And going to whole grain,
but I too work in my kitchen and cook on the stove.

It is good to find homebrewers here on Skadi forum.
I have a lot of stories I have written and can just 'copy and paste'
them here.

Thank you

J. Winters von Knife
http://jacksknifeshop.blogspot.com/

Grimsteinr
Thursday, January 8th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Hmmm.. just getting started... How do you store the mead? In oak barrels?

I don't lately make more than 20 to 40 gallons of Mead a year, all in 5 gallon batches.And a bit more beer. It is usualy 4 to 6 batches a year of each.

I make the Mead for the use of our Asatru Kindred, for our Blots & Sumbels.
It's also for Gifting and Welcoming drink when guests come to our Home
The Beer & Ale are used as beverage.
I rack my Mead, into 1 gallon jugs to clarify and mature. I generally have
10 to 20 jugs maturing. After that I bottle in champagne bottles and cap them with the same crown-caps I use on my beer bottles. Simpler that way. I have about 8 cases of champagne bottles and 18 cases of 12 oz. beer bottles. It's easy to store in the cases, in a small room in the basement.

I always have Mead or Beer, or both, in process, so I never run out.

sei_stolz
Monday, January 12th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hello,

I'm pretty new to this whole brewing thing myself, but it's sort of a family tradition, so I like to think that it's in my blood :) So far I've made about a dozen batches of different kinds of ales, and so far they've all turned out pretty good. If I may boast, one of my ales won best in show at a local competition and the only stout I ever brewed won best dark beer in the same competition.