PDA

View Full Version : Christian archaeology team believes it has found the Ark

Blutwölfin
Saturday, July 1st, 2006, 02:25 PM
A team of Texas archaeologists believe they may have located the remains of Noah's Ark in Iran's Elburz mountain range.

"I can't imagine what it could be if it is not the Ark," said Arch Bonnema of the Bible Archaeology Search and Exploration (B.A.S.E) Institute, a Christian archeology organization dedicated to looking for biblical artifacts.

Bonnema and the other B.A.S.E. Institute members hiked for seven hours in the mountains northwest of Tehran, climbing 13,000 feet before making the apparent discovery.

Read full article (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=nation_world&id=4319965)

Sigrid
Saturday, July 1st, 2006, 03:09 PM
Oh, I see, that means there was a 13,000 foot high flood and all the water just kinda quickly drained off and fell into space (because, as we all know the earth is flat) and then old Noah and company stepped out on top of a mountain and made camp, while his three sons contemplated the serious mission of repopulating the earth with three different races all from the same grandfather. :rolleyes:

Gagnraad
Saturday, July 1st, 2006, 03:45 PM
"I can't imagine what it could be if it is not the Ark," said Arch Bonnema of the Bible Archaeology Search
Du'u, he got no imagination whatsoever!
I bet it could be a Starship! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship)

Or perhaps, even a Deathstar! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Star)

Sigrid
Saturday, July 1st, 2006, 03:53 PM
In which case, Gag, Captain Kirk was not the first person to say: "Beam me up Scottie".

Gorm the Old
Saturday, July 1st, 2006, 04:43 PM
<sigh> Will there ever be an end to this nonsense of trying to prove a Jewish myth to be historical fact ? As to what happened to the water, Sigrid, obviously, it miraculously disappeared, just as it must have miraculously appeared in the first place.... If all of the water vapour in the Earth's atmosphere were to be precipitated simultaneously and instantaneously onto the Earth's surface, it would form a layer about 15 cm. deep. Most of it would run off the land, raising sea-level about 17.5 cm. Some colossal flood, eh ? Hence, the waters of the flood must have appeared miraculously and disappeared equally miraculously....Flood legends are confined to the Mediterranean Basin. There are none in the Americas nor are there any in Asia. Therefore, the biblical flood must have been a local event. It is thought that the Mediterranean basin was once nearly dry except for a large lake fed by the runoff from the surrounding land masses and was not invaded by the sea until sometime in the Pleistocene Epoch. There is little agreement as to exactly when this may have occurred , though most estimates are early enough that Man had probably not yet appeared in the circum-Mediterranean area....If it were witnessed by humans, this event might have given rise to the flood legends. An even more plausible hypothesis (for which there is no evidence) is that the biblical flood was a tsunami resulting from the impact of a large meteorite in the Mediterranean Sea. If 'twere so, the event was hardly world-wide and, in most areas less than one day in duration . It would not, of course, have been preceded by forty days and forty nights of rain. (N.B., in the Bible, as commonly in the Middle East to this very day, "forty" does not mean 40. It means some indeterminate large number.) It is more likely that, owing to the vapourisation of water by the hot meteorite, the impact event might well have been FOLLOWED by a protracted period of rain....So, how many ships got washed up onto mountains by the tsunami ? Two ? One on Mt. Ararat and one in the Elburz Mountains ? A determined search for arks may reveal several. Noah must have been a very busy ark-builder. Eh ? Such a potential multiplicity of "Noah's arks" reminds me of a cynical remark I once heard about relics. "There were enough pieces of the True Cross exhibited in Mediæval churches to stock a lumber yard"....So, there might be a kernel of truth to the flood legends, but its existence is purely conjectural. The flooding of the Mediterraneam Basin is probably much too early and there is no evidence for an impact event in the Mediterranean capable of producing such a huge tsunami.

Sigrid
Saturday, July 1st, 2006, 05:23 PM
Aw, Jeez, Egil, just when they were breaking out the Bollies and lighting the seven branched candlestick you had to go and spoil it all. :D

I like the Sumerian legend the best where they decided that there was a flood because their gods realised the grave error of having created humanity and that as this obstreperous creature had become grotesquely overpopulated and extremely noisy (Oi, they should have seen what happened later!!!) humanity was simply flushed down the fertile crescent and the gods began again. (An equally grave error.)

Gagnraad
Tuesday, July 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM
In which case, Gag, Captain Kirk was not the first person to say: "Beam me up Scottie".
Perhaps Captain Kirk actually is Noah? :runaway