PDA

View Full Version : 'Scotland is pagan' says Kirk

Blutwölfin
Thursday, June 15th, 2006, 11:10 AM
(old, but interesting news from 2002)

Scotland is no longer a Christian country, according to new research.
A Kirk survey found that the number of Scots claiming to have no religion matched the number of Church of Scotland members.

Half of those who claim allegiance to the Kirk go to church less than once a year and only a third attend once a month or more often.

The report, published in the Kirk's official magazine Life and Work, comes as the Church of Scotland meets for its annual general assembly.

The research was conducted by Aberdeen University sociologists Steve Bruce and Tony Glendinning.

It claims that only 12% of Scots now attend church regularly.

The overall picture shows "massive indifference" to organised religion and "an unwillingness to have it impinge on their lives," the report says.

"There is little hostility, but when it (the Kirk) has been abandoned by so many of its own people, it has little right to speak for or to the nation," the authors say.

After the Second World War, the Kirk could claim a third of the Scottish population as members.

Attendance has steadily declined and those who rarely or never attend have risen from 43% in 1972 to a current level of just over 60%.

The study asked 1,600 people last year about their faith as part of the annual Scottish Social Attitudes survey.

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/2007739.stm)

Sigrid
Thursday, June 15th, 2006, 12:00 PM
In this article Kirk appears to have used the world "pagan" instead of the word "secular", as though non-religious meant the same thing. However, what they did not mention is the number of Scots actually going pagan in Scotland. I saw an article on a web page round about the same time as this article, BW, where there was mention made of native Scots paganism as being the fastest growing faith in the country. So, apart from secularisation there is also restitution of ethnic spirituality. That is something they definitely won't want to mention. What a wonderful day when the Picts rise again, this time against the Empire of Marxist Labour as they rose against the Roman Empire. How grand if the Anglo-Saxons would join them as they often did in ancient times and present a defiant pagan front to those who are after their heritage and their land. And one must not forget the Nordic/Germanic element that runs so strongly through both these peoples.

Imperator X
Monday, June 19th, 2006, 02:35 AM
In the 'Wicker Man' film, there is a real island Summerisle, which keeps the pagan tradition alive. I highly recommend this film. This news is suprising because it seemed as if the Presbyterian Scots are zealous to the point of anti-intellectualism. I figure a nation which spawned rednecks here in the US must not be much better across the Atlantic. Who knows though, with all their pride in the clans and such.

nordicdusk
Monday, June 19th, 2006, 02:47 AM
In the 'Wicker Man' film, there is a real island Summerisle, which keeps the pagan tradition alive. I highly recommend this film. This news is suprising because it seemed as if the Presbyterian Scots are zealous to the point of anti-intellectualism. I figure a nation which spawned rednecks here in the US must not be much better across the Atlantic. Who knows though, with all their pride in the clans and such.
Yes thats an fantastic movie.

Sigrid
Monday, June 19th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I have a problem with the fact that the Scottish National Party is left wing. If they were truly folkish, or clannish they would be situated to the right of centre. But "one Scotland, many nations" is the war cry everywhere. Paganism in Scotland would have to go together with a political view that wouldn't be aggressive or detrimental to that folkish spirituality. Unfortunately secularism can harbour anything and often harbours universalist liberal humanism to the degree that these people are actively opposed to anyone who thinks Scots actually means Scots.

I haven't seen The Wicker man. I will try and get it on DVD.

Imperator X
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 04:30 AM
The problem is people just throw around the term "pagan" to mean anything from atheist to bleeding heart humanist liberal. True paganism comes from Folk traditions, and just as important, information, scholarship, and knowledge. I speak to so many so called pagans only to have them tell me they have no true knowledge of rites, nor due they even follow a distinct deity or pantheon.

Reconstructionism all the way.

Sigrid
Wednesday, June 21st, 2006, 07:23 AM
I'm not a reconstructionist as such, but I am a pagan.

Rites and things done in the past can cause religions to become organised and dogmatic and closed and their acolytes oppressed by prescriptiveness rather than open communion.

But that is just my view, I don't consider it to be against your view. It's just the way I am and I have experienced the collar of organisations and their prescriptiveness and I cannot live in this. Some people like it and desire it, I am too wild for it. The bit and bridle make me restless for open country and only the wind on my back.

Organisation, reconstructionism, etc has a very important place for those who need to be organised and lead. A lack therefore can be a problem, as Vidarsson has mentioned elsewhere in this forum, just can't remember where exactly. :)