PDA

View Full Version : Origins of Red Hair?

Tomas.
Tuesday, June 13th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I, as a redhead, have been wondering about the origins of red hair. There are so many sources that say red hair came from here or there that I am rather confused (or is red hair a phenomenon that developed independently in different populations?)

nordicdusk
Wednesday, June 14th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I was reading an artical on about this in which it sad that red hair comes from Scandanavia during Viking raids of Britian and Ireland.The majority of red heads are from Scotland closely followed by Ireland.Dont know if thats any help to you or not.

Tomas.
Wednesday, June 14th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I thought so. I need to know for certain though. I've been wondering due to a deep connexion I feel with Norway whether I have scandinavian ancestry.

nordicdusk
Thursday, June 15th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Sorry i could not help any further good luck with your scearch let us know what you discover.

barry
Thursday, June 15th, 2006, 12:28 AM
There is more red hair in England than in Germany/scandinavia put together
so its difficult to say that it came to England in viking raids,
also red hair is even more common in ireland and scotland, both areas had little if no scandinavian migration, at least according to a recent genetic
survey done in colaboration with the ;Blood of the vikings; T.V. series.
Although there was a large scale Danish folk migration into England, according to this survey,
and infact the anglo/frissian y chromozone was found to be so similar to the Danish y chromozone
that they can not be differentiated.

Apparently the red hair gene was brought to uk, in the neolithic by people who were genetically
of basque origin,the gaelic y chromozone being of basque origin.

i know its strange, not too much red hair amongst the basques today, but the genetic evidence
is strong.

Of course red hair is still common in scandinavia and northern europe in general, and no doubt
many people in the uk who have red hair get it from an Anglo/or Norse ancestor, because there
are different origins to red hair in europe.

Weg
Thursday, June 15th, 2006, 02:46 PM
because there are different origins to red hair in europe.

Yes, I think so as well. Several origins to red hair in Europe, like there is certainly several origin of blond or brown hair.

Sigrid
Thursday, June 15th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Many Vikings are red, hence Eric the Red, etc. The surname "Read" is from the Viking "Red" as well as from the word for "advice". Many Celts have red hair. The Romans described the "Germans" of the time as amost all red haired and blue eyed. The ancient Thracians are described as red haired. Take your pick, Tomas, we are all of a piece actually, no matter what the suspicious activities of the media would like to show. Red hair is a gene and cannot suddenly appear if not there from birth and it is also on the extinction list, so you are a rare man, hang onto that uniqueness for all you are worth.

nordicdusk
Thursday, June 15th, 2006, 04:41 PM
My mate has red hair and he hates it so much.All he gose on about is how stupid he looks with his red hair.I keep telling him to be proud but he dose not listen.

barry
Thursday, June 15th, 2006, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=Sigrid]Many Vikings are red, hence Eric the Red, etc. The surname "Read" is from the Viking "Red" as well as from the word for "advice". Many Celts have red hair. The Romans described the "Germans" of the time as amost all red haired and blue eyed.

No doubt red hair is common in Deutschland and scandinavia, but it is much more common in England, statistically more than in other northern european lands ,except Scotland and Ireland where it is more common.

As for the celts, they where more of a linguistic cultural grouping than an ethnic grouping.

The British celts have a y chromozone found in the welsh and irish which shares a common link to the Basque y chromozone, and one source for the gene that makes red hair comes from north western iberia, but as i,ve said red hair has different origins in different parts of europe.

The continental celts whose earliest known origins are infact in central europe and southern Deutschland had a gene type similar to people who come from that area today.

Celtic languages seems infact to have been common in europe prior to the la tene period,when the iron age celtic culture is traditionally thought to have begun,this begs the question, what exactly is it that constitutes celticness~?

I,ve got to say though, i love red heads, i,m talking about women folks, want no confussion.

Sifsvina
Friday, June 16th, 2006, 07:28 AM
There are lots of the darker red/auburn hair in the Belarus area. That's where I get mine;-) I think there are a number of different types and origins. I think it has something to do with the general depigmentation of a people as redheads are some of the most pale and least able to tan.