PDA

View Full Version : Engineered virus makes cancer cells "eat themselves"

Frans_Jozef
Tuesday, May 9th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Engineered virus makes cancer cells "eat themselves"

Researchers say they have engineered a virus that tracks down cancerous cells and forces them to devour themselves.

The scientists, with the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas, tested the treatment in mice with brain tumors. They described the results this week in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

The virus induced self-cannibalization among cancer cells, a process called autophagy, said the centerís Seiji Kondo. This shrank the tumors and extended the lives of the rodents, he added.

His team of researchers developed the treatment by modifying an adenovirus, one of a group of viruses that cause the common cold and various other infections.

Courtesy University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center (http://www.world-science.net/othernews/060502_virusfrm.htm)

nordicdusk
Sunday, May 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM
This is fantastic news if this can work in people.Hopefully it will be available as soon as possiable and not hidden my the goverment til they can devise a business plan.

Ulf
Sunday, May 14th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Viruses normally have unpleasant side effects regardless of whether they help you or not. It's interesting, but I don't think it will be the vector of choice for cancer and genetic therapy.

I think that synthetic vectors like liposomes will ultimately prove to be the best choice.