PDA

View Full Version : The Lemon Harvest

Sigrid
Saturday, May 6th, 2006, 04:38 PM
The citrus Elves have been busy. It's that time of the year again where I am and the family lemon harvest happened today. Well, it sarted today. We got one tree almost picked. I have two more all laden and bending low like pregnant goddesses so I'm in for a week of hard work squeezing juice and capturing "zest" for freezing. This year I want to try and make marmalade with the peels as there will be a record number and instead of making compost with them I thought this time I might make jam. (And then again maybe not, I'll see how things go time wise and jar-wise.)

The dogs love lemons for some reason :screwy and eat the peels. I think it is a kind of natural medication or supplement for them. They spent the morning stealing lemons out of the harvesting bucket. They wait under the trees and watch them get ripe then beg for a lemon, so they must really like them.

nordicdusk
Saturday, May 6th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Never heard of dogs eatiing lemons thats great he/she looks so happy

Sigrid
Saturday, May 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM
He's a lemon nut. He goes all soft and dreamy eyed when you ask him "where's your laymooon?"

Alice
Saturday, May 6th, 2006, 07:58 PM
That's so funny, Sigrid! My dogs are mad for grapefruit and most vegetables for some odd reason.

Vanir
Sunday, May 7th, 2006, 07:07 AM
That's a nice looking haul!
What are you going to do with your harvest? My Nan makes Lemon Butter from the excess of their tree, which is exquisite when lathered on toast...

To encourage the BuB'ers with small gardens, the citrus family are very hardy, and fruit in most conditions, and take readily to grafting, so give themn a go! you might have a Lisbon Lemon rootstock with Orange and Lime grafted also onto it, so that you can enjoy all three from the one plant.

I have a Lemon tree in my courtyard which I have grafted lime onto (as I like lemon/lime on fish) and it is a hardy provider

Good thread!

nordicdusk
Sunday, May 7th, 2006, 07:14 AM
My cat eats prawn crackers and i caught her eating chocolate to.

Sigrid
Sunday, May 7th, 2006, 08:12 AM
That's a nice looking haul!
What are you going to do with your harvest? My Nan makes Lemon Butter from the excess of their tree, which is exquisite when lathered on toast...

To encourage the BuB'ers with small gardens, the citrus family are very hardy, and fruit in most conditions, and take readily to grafting, so give themn a go! you might have a Lisbon Lemon rootstock with Orange and Lime grafted also onto it, so that you can enjoy all three from the one plant.

I have a Lemon tree in my courtyard which I have grafted lime onto (as I like lemon/lime on fish) and it is a hardy provider

Good thread!

The "haul" is only a third of what is out there this year on three little garden trees two of which I planted myself from seed. The tree that was there when we moved in is a rough skinned yellow coloured lemon and the two I planted from seed have rough skins and orange coloured skin. I had never seen this before but they are fab. It's interesting to discover how the flavour and sourness will be affected by each season's soil content. Some years more pith and less fruit, some seasons thinner skin and lots of juice and sometimes a little bitter like grapefruit and others quite sweetish.

I juice them and freeze the juice in collected ginger ale bottles. We bought another second hand freezer to store my harvests as they get more prolific every year and I now give frozen lemon juice to my sister-in-law and I think this year I'll be able to give some to others as well as keep the stock running until next harvest. I am a farmer at heart so this is giving me goose bumps. I have longed for a farm next to a river all my life. (So I could have otters of my own.) I got three lemon trees and a bit of sad lavender in the suburbs, but I live in hope, lol.

I have planted an orange tree and a tree bearing fruit the South Africans are mad for called a "naartjie" here. It is associated with rugby matches and has legends attached to it of supporters injecting naartjies with brandy and taking them to the game. :D

My citrus trees wait and grow for about three or four years before producing fruit. My orange has borne two or three little sour jobs per season these past few years and last year she produced a larger sweet orange, the rest fell off from pressure of bouncing yellow weaver birds who love the blossoms. :mad: This year she was laden with blooms but not a single fruit survived. She is fully foliaged though and looks glossy and strong so I hope that next year she will fruit. Her little sister the naartjie is still getting there but this season has suddenly grown her tall spike and is filling out so maybe she will give it a go next year with a few practice runs.

The lemon trees are now over five years old and each year they bring forth more lemons. It's amazing. For me harvesting stuff is a religious experience. They are the runic gebo. One feels blessed. And the climate is the determiner of all. Drought, too much rain, insect plagues (aphids, etc) all play a role. When you look up one day and see that a harvest is there it's like looking at magic.

I also planted a fig tree which has seeded itself, courtesy of the birds, in two more places. I have wasp larvae trouble with this one but the birds go ga-ga for the fruit and lovely louries have come to live nearby so they can pig out with the others every summer on figs and giggle when the fish stealers come for the goldfish, which alerts the dogs and so I turn a blind eye to their love of figs.

I planted an apple tree from seed two seasons ago and this year she had a small crop which the mousebirds ate while still green. :mad:

Any chance of that lemon butter recipe, Vanir?