PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Ancient and Modern Greek ?

Alkman
Monday, April 10th, 2006, 12:32 AM
"WELCOME TO AKWN THE SITE OF WORLD NEWS IN ANCIENT GREEK"

http://www.akwn.net

Gorm the Old
Monday, April 10th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Aside from pronunciation (a MAJOR difference) and a lack of modern technical terminology, what difference is there between ancient Greek and modern Greek ?

Blood_Axis
Monday, April 10th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Aside from pronunciation (a MAJOR difference) and a lack of modern technical terminology, what difference is there between ancient Greek and modern Greek ?
Enormous.

Basically, modern Greek are oversimplified. That means, most of the punctuations are gone, grammar & syntax are simplified, meanings of the words have been altered and a lot of words have become obsolete. That is, the vocabulary has become shorter. Even dictation is being simplified, with the variety of vowels that the greek language has being replaced by one single vowel for purposes of simplicity.

I did not realize how poor the modern greek language is, until I started learning ancient greek in highschool. Then I saw the wealth of the ancient greek language, it's enormous possibilities and the beauty of its poetry.

This plan for the oversimplification and desecration of the language, has been more prominent in schools as well as in the media during the last 10 years or so. I believe that it is done in purpose, so that the native population loses touch with their culture & heritage, as well as the swarming hordes of thirld world immigrants learn the easiest version faster, and in the end both are leveled & grinded in the melting pot :thumbsdow

Sigrid
Monday, April 10th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Dead right, Blood_Axis and the exact same thing has happened and is continuing to happen to the English language. It is being turned into the lingua franca of the third world. As an English graduate and an English person this makes me feel like dying. Strength to you and your people for learning ancient Greek and having a news service and for resuscitating your ancient way. :thumbsup

Gorm the Old
Monday, April 10th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I knew that the pronunciation of the Greek language had been drastically degraded, Y, H, and I all being pronounced as "ee", for example, but I was unaware of the extent to which the vocabulary has been impoverished . All languages change with time , of course. Consider the contrast between Modern English and the Old English of Beowulf, but what has happened to the beautiful classic Greek language is lamentable.