PDA

View Full Version : She

Sigrid
Friday, March 31st, 2006, 04:36 PM
She came to shelter inside as she didn't like the rain.

nordicdusk
Friday, March 31st, 2006, 05:31 PM
I very rarely close my windows in my room so every winter caterpillars hibernate and become butterflys in my room.Very nice to look at indeed.

Ælfhere
Friday, March 31st, 2006, 05:39 PM
Is that a butterfly or a moth?

Ewergrin
Friday, March 31st, 2006, 11:44 PM
Moth, I'd say. Looks lik an owls face!

TisaAnne
Saturday, April 1st, 2006, 12:18 AM
What a beautiful little guest she is... and I'm sure she was quite grateful to find shelter from the rain, inside your warm and cozy abode, Sigrid. :) Thank you for sharing her.

Seeing such a Springly vision rather enlivened my spirits as I sit here and listen to the rain outside, wishing my corner of the world would find such a shelter from this pelting, sun-eclispsing storm... Ah, how I cannot wait for the butterfiles, and other colorfully winged beasts to emerge from their sleeping stasis, in time to taste the nectar of these first Spring blooms.

Sigrid
Saturday, April 1st, 2006, 05:26 AM
Is that a butterfly or a moth?

That is a question my partner and I have been asking each other every time one of them comes in and we have a whole squadron out there this year because of the climate change where I am and all the rain we now get. When he was walking the dogs a few weeks ago a little flock fluttered up in his path. They are big, about 10cm wingspan. They used to be very rare but this year many more and they seem quite tame. Also unusual. We have bushbabies here and they will eat them at night as this is when bushbabies come out. So they'll need to learn some new rules about flapping around at random. (We have a family of bushbabies in the garden. We named them "the Moonies" because of their huge eyes.) Thanks to them and the geckos and lizards and variety of spiders and praying mantids, etc we have a reduced insect pest problem.

But back to the moth/butterfly: I think Evergreen is correct in deciding it is an Owl moth. I searched all my South African insect and butterfly books and couldn't find it. I searched the net and then finally found an SA site that listed pictures of two moths, one owl one hawk that both look very familiar and close to the picture I took yesterday of the glorious velvety brown big "eyed" girlie who came to seek shelter from the rain.

http://www.zandvleitrust.org.za/art-ZIMP%20biotic%20-%20insects%20-%20moths.html

Weg
Saturday, April 1st, 2006, 06:55 AM
It may sound stupid, but why "She"?...

Sigrid
Saturday, April 1st, 2006, 07:44 AM
She is looking for a place to lay her eggs before winter sets in and "she" has a mate flapping around her who wants to be the father of all those little leaf eaters that will create havoc next spring when they hatch as caterpillars.

Sigrid
Sunday, April 2nd, 2006, 05:36 PM
I finally found that Evergreen is definitely correct and that the specimen I photographed is a "cream striped owl moth" and its larvae feed on acacias.