PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had to defend yourself from an attack?

Blutwölfin
Sunday, March 26th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Have you ever had to defend yourself in real life? I don't mean with words in an argument, but against violence, an attack? If yes, how did you do that?

Gagnraad
Sunday, March 26th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Yes, I have.
Several times, actually:P
Once, a dude just started to attack me, he took me with surprise. And after realising what was going on, I blocked his blows, and gave him a punch in the stomach and one in the head... He went down ;)

The Horned God
Sunday, March 26th, 2006, 04:24 PM
@gag, sounds like you know how to handle yourself, at least you did so, effectively on that occasion.

I am fairly luckily, I have only once ever in my life had to defend myself. I was in secondary school (high-school) so don't believe was very likely to end up in hospital, no matter how badly things went for me.

I can't remember how it started. I had an argument with another guy over something petty; I didn't show him enough respect or some rubbish like that. First he tried to pick a fight by destroying a computer magazine I had brought to school, when that didn't work, (he was bigger than me and I wasn't about to start fisticuffs if I could avoid it) he waited until I was alone in the study hall one lunch-time and seized his chance. Luckily I happened to see him coming, I new by the expression on the f'ers' face that he had evil intent.
I happened to be sitting down in a row of benches, which made his attack difficult. On seeing him approach I, ever the brave hero, shrunk away by sliding across on the seat of the bench, and drew my legs up to my chest in a natural defensive reaction. At this point I was shouting at him repeatedly to get back, his face was a grim mask of brutality and determination, as it would be and I knew full well what was coming. So, just as he, unaffected by my warnings, was leaning across the bench about to plant a few right hooks on me as he thought... I let him have it full-force in the stomach with heel of my Dr.Martin shoe! His expression immediately changed in a way which I found most satisfactory. He was winded and had no option but to slink away with his tail between legs, never getting the chance lay a finger on me!:D
I breathed a sigh of relief.

It still wasn't quite over though, he tried again a few days later. He and another guy he managed to rope-in and whom I knew bore me some small minded grudge over an imagined slight, both tried to ambush me at the far end of the football field.
I used to spend most lunch times walking the perimeter of the school, talking with my friends.
But this time nothing much happened, I had my best friend with me as usual. He grabbed one of my would-be assailants the main one who had tried to attack me in the study hall, managing to get him in a full nelson.
The other one was too chicken to do anything and we just stood there staring at each other for a few moments.
When the first guy realized it was no use he gave up and my friend let him go.
And that was it, I always tried to keep at least one comrade with me at all times after that and know one ever tried anything again!
The End. :)

Ewergrin
Sunday, March 26th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Yes, I have been in many, many fights in my youth. Some I won, some I lost.

The last real confrontation I involved roadrage. Not mine, but his. Apparently some guy thought that I cut him off on the interstate, and he followed me to my exit. I came to a stoplight and he was right behind me. I saw him, in my rearview mirror, put his car in park and open the door. I immediately locked all of my doors and rolled the window up. He came pounding on my window, screaming at me, telling me to get out of the car.

Now, anyone who would do this sort of thing, in my mind, is unstable, at best. I told him to fuck off, and that enraged him even more. Now, keep in mind, at this point, several other cars were waiting beside and behind us at the stop light. Luckily, I had a 20oz straight claw hammer on my passenger seat. This guy starting walking back to his car, mumbling something about "I've got something for you, motherfucker..."

I was then a bit scared. Was he going to shoot me? This happened 5 years ago, and at the time, my yougest son was still an infant, and my wife had a broken leg at home (she had fallen down the stairs.) So I was nervous. As soon as he started walking towards his car, I grabbed the hammer and opened my car door and got out. I brandished the hammer in the air and told him that if he made another step towards his car, I would sink the claw end into his skull...This took him off guard, because apparently he assumed that he would just threaten and bully me and I would do nothing. He stopped. By this time, the light had turned green.. I jumped back into my car and floored it. I never had to worry about him again.

newenstad
Sunday, March 26th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I had several fights in former times but I´m not fighting anymore (only if someone forces me..;))...

I have visited some special hand-to-hand fight courses so I´m rather good prepared...

Ælfhere
Sunday, March 26th, 2006, 06:46 PM
No. I've never been in a fight before. I'm 6'4" and have been told that I'm rather mean looking so people avoid starting s*** with me.

Mathieu
Sunday, March 26th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Yes, once. While waiting for my train, I've been attacked by a bunch of black guys. I've been caught by surprise, so my both arms were held before I realised I was not dealing with just one guy. There was nothing much to do, you can handle 1, 2 guys, but outside the shelter I was in, they were another half-dozen. I've been lucky, they didn't hurt me besides some punches, because one of them saw the security guards entering the train station and they quickly left. I was quite naive back then, I didn't realise that being the only European in the station was making me an easy target (it was in the middle of the afternoon). At the police station, they told me they will never get them, because the cameras in the train station were unplugged...

Blood_Axis
Sunday, March 26th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Yes, I have been attacked by a stranger, ten years ago, in the elevator of my old building. I did my best fighting back anyway I could. There was not much I could do though, since I was grabbed by the neck and could hardly breathe, let alone impossible to scream. I was lucky enough that my attacker was momentarily distracted by a barking dog and I managed to kick him hard in the genitals. Otherwise he was too strong for me to do anything else. He run away, after the pain from the kick made him release my throat and I cried out for help. Later on, when I went to the police station in order to make a positive ID, I saw a vast number of raped and battered women, whose shoes I might have been into. That was a close call...pheew. :(

Gorm the Old
Monday, March 27th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Not since I was 11 years old. However, , having, at that time, been a sickly timid child, I spent every recess period in elementary school being beaten up. I loved school, but I HATED recess. I never saw the teachers on playground duty intervene in fights between boys or do anything to deter bullying. 69 years later, I still bear a scar on my forehead frtom an incident in first grade in which a boy chased me with a stick and, running up the stone steps into the building, I fell and hit my forehead on the edge of a step. Do not imagine that I got any sympathy from anyone. The nurse acted as if I were an infernal nuisance. After all, I was bleeding all over the floor of her office, creating a mess for her to clean up.

ikki
Monday, March 27th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Many times, either some loonie or pack of them jump me or on one of my friends.. whom i defend. Never lost a fight tho, sometimes my nose might be busted or such but never gone down, its always the other guy/guys..

PsycholgclMishap
Monday, March 27th, 2006, 05:08 PM
When my brother and I were younger I had to defend myself from him a number of times! Good ole sibling rivalry...

As far as being attacked on the street or in public...not really...and not as an adult.

When I was about 7 years old I saved a lil' neighbor boy from being kidnapped! This dark man with an orange mohawk in a purple Jeep tried to nab this lil' boy Jacob and I pulled him (the boy) out of the passenger side of the Jeep and ran with him into my apartments and told my parents what happened. Of course, the police came and I gave a description of the suspect.

And I once got so tired of being called names by this girl named Larissa in school I picked her up by her throat and slammed her against a wall and told her if she ever bothered me again I'd kick her ass...coincidentally, she transfered to another school the following day and I never saw her again...

Then...one time one of the kids who lived upstairs from me hit my lil' brother (he was only 7!) with a small flagpole (U.S.!) for no reason at all so I punched him in the stomach and he went crying to his mother...

Grimsteinr
Sunday, July 30th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Well, yes, but it has been years ago.
I've always been bigish, 6'1" about 200#
I worked as a bouncer at a club, a drinking place, in my younger years,
for a couple months. I always carried a little 12 oz. slapper, with a
lead head. Those'll take the fight out of most guys, quickly.
The main thing is to get them outside, before the Place gets torn up.

Be worse to do that nowadays. Everyone is CCW-ing, legally or not, now.
Be too easy to get shot now.
When I was 40-ish, I played with a trio, on guitar & bass, in bars.
I backed a couple guys down, on occasion, just by being intimidating.

I haven't had to swing on anyone in over 40 years. Out grew it when I
got married & started making a Family.
Way too old to mess with all that now.
I still don't believe in taking stuff, from anyone. Put on a few pounds,
& got lazy. But, I Try to stay in some semblance of shape though.

I Support the 2nd Amendment, in Practice.
'Nuff said!
Take care.

Tomas.
Sunday, July 30th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I was involved in a few incidents when people made fun of me and annoyed me in primary school. I lashed out. However, I've never been a violent person. I guess you could say I'm a gentle giant (I am six-foot-five and a half inches tall). I only fight as a last resort.

My last incident was about four years ago at school. Some idiot had blocked the door and me and my physical education class were trying to get through. I forced the door open and this guy kicked me. So I kicked him back and things began to carry on from there. I ended up pushing him into a vending machine (and a bin maybe...I'm not too sure though) and he landed on the floor. At that point I must have looked at him like I was about to kill him as his facial expression conveyed surprise. I left it at that as I didn't want to take it any further. Last year it came to me as no surprise when I heard that he had been expelled from school for fighting.

nordicdusk
Monday, July 31st, 2006, 09:14 AM
I have been pushed many times but i try not to use violence i dont feel comfortable with it i always try to walk away.Last fight i have was when i was in school many years ago.

Pørdy Mountain
Monday, July 31st, 2006, 07:11 PM
I have defended myself twice (well, sibling-fights will not be counted here.. ;)) One I lost and the other... well, I didn't loose.

That was when I had to defend myself and a friend from some crazy turkish girls at our school a couple of years back. Now, we didn't have anything to do with the actual fight to start with, but we sort of got caught in the middle of it. Blah, I usually hate people fighting, as I have gone to a school where that happened alot.. but ooh.. that girl deserved it. :outch:

Ryan Kirk
Monday, July 31st, 2006, 09:10 PM
This weekend just passed I got into a bit of a brawl with a friend at a party I had. Just a few too many drinks and some egging on by others. We know each other though and are friends, so anytime someone got pinned down or knocked over we would back off and let the other guy get up. I was sore the next day though, buddy took a few years of olympic wrestling back in the day and had a couple moves under his belt. I distinctly remember a few painful armbars and chokeholds that were not quite pleasant. Kind of makes me want to take some martial arts or wrestling training.