PDA

View Full Version : Redheads face extinction because of minority population growth

Blutwölfin
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 06:13 PM
[...] Recent reports quote scientists saying that redheads could become extremely rare or even extinct in the next 100 years. The reason, according to the theory, is that only 4 percent of the world's population - and only 2 percent in the United States - carries the recessive red-hair gene, and it becomes diluted when carriers have children with people who have the dominant brown-hair gene.

But as it turns out, those reports aren't exactly accurate. Redheads aren't endangered - just in danger of becoming outnumbered as populations of people of Latin American, Asian and African descent increase, says Dr. John Gray, a medical adviser to Procter & Gamble, the author of six books on hair and a family practitioner in the United Kingdom. [...]

Source (http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060317/LIFE/603170392/1086)

anaktas
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Evolution. There is nothing we can do. Maybe establish a Redhead supremacist party.:D

Sigurd
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolution. There is nothing we can do. Maybe establish a Redhead supremacist party.:D

I prefer the leptorrhine/mesorrhine supremacist one. Or of course the Dinaricist movement. Or the longipedal supremacist one... :D

Blutwölfin
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 09:35 PM

I will be their leader, of course.

Sigurd
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 09:54 PM

Can ex-redheads join too? :read:

Weg
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Yes, disturbing news. Maybe Blutwölfin should marry a redhead guy and Sigurd an ex-redhead girl. I'm curious for the latter experience, in particular.

I've always been wondering if I'd red genes myself; one of my grand-mother's maiden name was "the red" from Normandy and a grand-father of mine had a red beard. At least I know I've had some very anciant redheads in my family tree. So fascinating, especially for our readers! :D

anaktas
Sunday, March 19th, 2006, 10:54 AM
I prefer the leptorrhine/mesorrhine supremacist one. Or of course the Dinaricist movement. Or the longipedal supremacist one... :D
I am the chairman of the Vertical Forehead Front (V.F.F.) and of the Wagner's and Mozart's Nose Supremacy Party. (W.M.N.S.P.)
Join us in our struggle!

Praetorianer
Sunday, March 19th, 2006, 11:55 AM
My hair is red-blond and I really like it.It would be very sad if the redheads get lost... :(

Sifsvina
Monday, March 20th, 2006, 06:41 AM

I will give way to your claim, but only because I'm living as a blond;-)

My sweetie and I have a very similar auburn color naturally so we will be doing our part to keep the red going. Both my grandmothers were redheaded and his brother is quite a redhead, these are the one's I know of.

Frans_Jozef
Monday, March 27th, 2006, 07:11 PM
The red-gold pheomelanin pigment is available in a less copious and more scattered degree than its dark counterpart eumelanin, which in the parts of the world less affected by processes leading to blondism forms a far less close-knit group as usual the eyes meet.

However, the dosage of pheomelanin in Europid races varies in a continious gradation of colour:

http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2005/08/blo...boriginals.php (http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2005/08/blonde-australian-aboriginals.php)

http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/001516.html

Dark brown in Central Europe is often chestnut, which in childhood could have been blond, auburn or red; a rufous or tawny glint is usually retained during adulthood, or cloaked except under bright light.

Ash blond hair occurs due to absence of pheomelanin and largely concentrated east of, but all local fluidity taken into account, a line descending from Sweden over Prague and Linz to the Adriatic coast, the so-called Eastern Meridian. Seemingly this geographical caesura in categories of blondism corresponds with situations found among mammals and birdlife, wherein the texture of brown furs and plumages in West and Central Europe has shades of gold or red, in East Europe and Asia rather silvery and grey.

Ethelwulf
Tuesday, March 28th, 2006, 07:38 AM
One thing I've thought about recently, is how much of a victim, or another way to also look at it, co-exister with our environment we are, and how much this union affects both the way it looks and the way we look. So for instance, blond hair or red hair and pale skin are generally preferable for dwelling in northern realms. And so while I think certainly, they are low, I still believe that as long as humans are existing in these places, that the land will rule equally. Also, with genetics, we can preserve genes, yet, I would rather northern people not become so endangered, but thankfully, I don't think extinction of these qualities in our dynamic species will be so possible.