PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Name Your Children?

Blutwölfin
Monday, March 6th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Would you follow your family tradition (if you have one) and pass a name from father to son, from mother to daughter? Would you give your child a name related to its roots, e.g. a German, English or Scandinavian one? Or just chose one that sounds good, no matter where it comes from? Would you look for a special meaning the name should have?

Share your thoughts, please! :)

Vanir
Monday, March 6th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Would you give your child a name related to its roots
To focus our children's developmental emphasis appropriately....

Our first daughter is being named Freya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freya) and our first Son is (most likely) being named Angus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aonghus) (though I also like the name Finn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fionn_mac_Cumhail)) in the spirit of the Scottish/Germanic roots my better half and I both share equally.

I want my children's identities to be not only Northern, but whole and strong, giving them an adamant platform from which to understand whence they spring, and thus who they undeniably and irrefutably are.

It is from such fundament that Heroes might grasp for the Stars, freed from the spirit sapping burden of clawing through the mud and slime for their I.D tag.

Sincerity - clean and by the bone - is always the best and healthiest path in the long run.

PsycholgclMishap
Monday, March 6th, 2006, 05:21 PM
My first son will be named Frederick Anthony for my German and Italian heritage (although "Anthony" is often linked to Greek origin)...

anaktas
Monday, March 6th, 2006, 05:29 PM
(although "Anthony" is often linked to Greek origin)...
Don't worry, it is of Italian origin.

My son (definitely a son :D ) will be named Demetrios, after my father. Demetrios is an ancient Greek name. In addition, for more than two centuries the names in my family go as follows:
Demetrios-Stelios-Demetrios-Stelios and so on, father to son.

It is the tradition! I feel the obligation to keep it alive.

Zyklop
Monday, March 6th, 2006, 05:51 PM
For a boy, if it would be socially possible: Adolf (noble wolf), but more likely Rudolf (glorious wolf), Alfred (counseled by elfs), Gerhard (hard spear).

For a girl: Inga or Lena ;)

The Horned God
Monday, March 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
If the question ever arises would like to stick tradition and give my children either Irish names or family names preferably both together.
Personally I don't want to start narrowing down the selection at this stage, but If others like to visualise the future in greater detail than I, I suppose there is no harm in that. :)

On second thoughts If I were to have a few sons probably one of them would get named Eoin, the Irish version of John, pronunced like Owen mainly because it's a family name.

@Vanir. No better name than Finn! :D Finon might be worth considering as well depending on how many syllables there are in your surname. F.e: "Finn Smith" might be a bit abrupt where as "Finon Smith" would work nicely.

@Zyklop. Adolf would, I suppose be shortened to "Adi" which doesn't sound too threatening I itself, but still...
I wonder how many children I Germany at the current moment are named Adolf? It must be more that zero, surely?

Ewergrin
Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 05:54 AM
We gave our children names based on their heritage.

Gagnraad
Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 06:00 AM
I have absolutely no idea!:runaway

And maybe I am too young? Hehe.

We don't have any family tradition, except that every boy get an mechanics education: Which I have no interests for. I am the first in my family to don't care about it.

TisaAnne
Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 06:28 AM
I feel that I do not have much right in solely choosing the names of my future children, without first getting some input from their future father... There are many, many names that I am quite fond of, which have great cultural root, and strong, worthy meanings, but I will not make decisions on something of such monumental importance, as is the naming of my children, without first consulting with the man who will father them.

I do, though, have two names which I would like to pass on to my children... If, that is, my future man will be accepting of these names which bear great importance to me. I would like to call one of my daughters Ilsa, after my dearest, and most beloved grandmother... my life has been so definitively impacted by that strong, and remarkable woman, that I feel it is my duty to honor her memory by blessing a girl-child with her name, and hoping that she will turn out to be as fine, and worthy a woman as my grandmother was. Also, I would like to call one of my sons Reichert Otto, after my father... In his heart, I know he has always regretted not having any other children, besides myself, and I would like to ensure that his name will be carried on by one of my sons, instead of just dying with him... I want to give him the gift of longevity, where he was unable to do so for himself.

I plan to have a large family, so I'm sure there will be many more names to consider... but, as I said, I'll get to that when I have a man beside me who shall play an equal role in the naming of our legacy. :)

Weg
Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I'm not about to procreate any soon, but let's admit...

No trendy names, no shortened nor exotic ones. I've no preference of origin as long as it's European and it's a traditional French surname (can be of Germanic, Celtic, Latin or Greek origin).

For a boy, as a firstname, I've no idea yet. Like me as a second surname (a Germanic one) that's for sure, and even as a firstname maybe. The third name should be one of the two grand father's.

The tradition for women is an Hebrew name (like the Virgin's mother), so I don't think I'll follow it (or maybe as a third surname)... The Second would be the mother's name. And the third one, the grand-mother's.
I've more inspiration for girls (dunno why...) : Adélaïde, Aliénore, Astrid, Aurélie, Emilie, Armance, Camille, Blanche (:D), Clotilde, Cyrielle. It might sound odd with my lastname, though.

Sigurd
Tuesday, March 7th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Well, I am intending to wait a little with this . (And of course my future wife, that has not yet found herself, would need to be in agreeance). I will also never have 8 children; but I will try to settle to at least four with a future wife, so... I have incorporated 8 possibilities...:D Nevertheless:

My first son would be Sigurd or Siegfried. First of all I like the name (duh got it as a username :doh) , secondly it is a family tradition (my grandfather, my greatgrandfather), with more characters from the Niebelungen being thrown in there (We have the names Hagen, Kriemhild, Gunther, Gernot, Guntram throughout the family) and even more general Germanic ones (my aunt is Hildegund, we also have Hartwig, Ignaz/Ygnaz, Engelberth in my family).

A second son would receive a non-background bound Germanic name. Therefore, I would opt for names such as Athelstan or Hakon (Or alternatively, the German "Hagen", although that links up with the first).

A third son would get a German non background bound name, such as Helge or Thorsten.

A fourth son would receive a Scottish name, for that is where I spent the time when I formed my personality (Call me opportunistic!) - as such, names like Angus or Ruraidh would come into the equation.

For girls, my selection of names is much smaller, but still:

My first daughter would by default receive a name that is background (*i.e. Family bound). As such, she would probably get a name like Inge, after my grandmother. Possibilities remain Ilse (my great-grandmother) or Hildegund (my aunt).

A second daughter would get a name that has been incorporated into general Northern European naming Tradition, such as Erika, Gudrun or Astrid

A third would by default get a name linked up with a goddess or the female version of a god-linked name. As such, names such as Thorgunna or Freyja would arise.

A fourth, would, again receive a Scottish name such as Eilidh or Alainne.

Well enough for possibilities now. ;)

Eisenmann
Saturday, March 18th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Names I'm quite fond of would be Siegfried for a boy and Frieda or Freya for a girl.. :)

newenstad
Sunday, March 19th, 2006, 01:12 AM
I would name my boys Jan, Lars, Thorsten, Sven, Siegfried, Falko, Ansgar or Fritz...and I prefer Anja, Anika, Irmgard, Brunhild for my little girl...

:hveðrungur:
Sunday, March 19th, 2006, 06:06 AM
I've had names chosen for quite some time since ive always wanted children. The names would be Thorbjörn for a boy and Freydis for a girl.

Blutwölfin
Sunday, March 19th, 2006, 07:59 AM
I am stuck on Rúna or Martha for a girl and Sander or Eggert for a boy. At least for now. :)

SouthernBoy
Sunday, March 19th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Clarence, Walter, William, Thomas, Wallace, Richard, or George for a male; my wife will name my daugthers. :)

Weg
Sunday, March 19th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Clarence, Walter, William, Thomas, Wallace, Richard, or George for a male; my wife will name my daugthers. :)

Richard, that is a great name. Excellent choice.

Alkman
Sunday, March 19th, 2006, 11:34 AM
My first son will be named Alkman. ;)

Gorm the Old
Sunday, March 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Probably the way I have named my cats, after people whom I have admired. My present cat is named Tesla, after Nicola Tesla, the Serbian scientist, inventor, engineer, and visionary. My previous cat was named Cicero, after Marcus Tullius Cicero, the Roman statesman and orator.Most of the women I have admired have been operatic divas, so expect names such as Renata, Miliza, or Amelita. All of this is purely hypothetical, inasmuch as I am a septuagenarian bachelor.

freya3
Sunday, March 19th, 2006, 05:35 PM
We like naming our kids after people in our family who meant a lot to us...

I have named my first child Josephine, after my maternal grandmother. She was like a second mother to me and is no longer here w/us, so I thought it would be a nice tribute to her :)

My "bun" right now is named Jena, I had family members named Gina who were also great people.

Boys...Anthony, Thomas, Richard...all great names :thumbsup

Blood_Axis
Monday, March 20th, 2006, 12:27 AM
I always thought of giving my children two names (as I also have two), an ancient Greek one as a first name and a traditional germanic one as a middle name, for the two cultures I admire the most.

As much as I wanted to exclude christian names, now I will give my first son (if and when I have one, that is), the middle name "John", as a token of rememberance for my most beloved friend that passed away a few months ago.

Leofric
Monday, March 20th, 2006, 12:57 AM
In my family, children are named after ancestors or relatives who are especially good role models and are also usually given ethnic names. I am named for my father's favorite uncle and his favorite cousin and have a very ethnic English name. One of my brothers also has a very ethnic English name. My other brother has a very ethnic Welsh name. My wife's family has tended to do the same.

She and I plan to follow in this tradition. One difficulty we have is that she is ethnically German and Swedish while I am ethnically British (mostly English, but with Welsh, Irish, and Scottish ancestry as well). So we will have to have some mixing here and there, probably by having a first name from one side and a second from the other.

It just occurred to me to try names with cognates in our ethnic languages — I could call our son Frederick or William and she could call him Friedrich or Wilhelm. How's that for confusing the poor child?

I do think it's very important, though, to name children after someone who can then serve as a role model for the child. I also think it's valuable to give children names that mean something that can influence the child as s/he grows to become a wo/man.

Mathieu
Monday, March 27th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I, too, will name them after relatives (grand parents or great grand parents, etc). In french-canada (and probably elsewhere in the catholic world too) it is a tradition to give two or three names to the child : the first one chosen by the parents, the second one is the name of the godfather (usually an uncle) and the third one being Joseph (for a male). Bah, I will have to break this tradition about the Joseph one, it will have to be replaced by a name related to their ethnical heritage instead. :)

Frans_Jozef
Monday, March 27th, 2006, 07:18 PM
None, I am not interested and never was in children; while I might not climb up high, and fail miserablely, I'll hope to live on in my achievements and some good deeds, whatever their value may be...

Gefjon
Sunday, January 6th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Will you give them a name to reflect their heritage or just a name you like? Maybe a common name used in your area? I'd like to give Germanic names to my children if I have any.

Amorsite
Sunday, January 6th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Will you give them a name to reflect their heritage or just a name you like?

Both, I tend to like Germanic names anyway.

mischak
Sunday, January 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Will you give them a name to reflect their heritage or just a name you like?

Both. Assuming I eventually have children with my current boyfriend they would probably get German names and/or Biblical/Christian names.

I guess it's a similar situation with with my boyfriend's family, he and his sister have very common Christian names, while his brother's name is Thorsten.

Mrs. Lyfing
Sunday, January 6th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I chose Thomas Zackary & we call him Zack & Rachel Leigh & Leigh is my middle name, Thomas is the father name so they were both named in some way after parents ...:)

Cythraul
Sunday, January 6th, 2008, 05:10 PM
It will either be Germanic or Celtic. My heritage belongs to both and so shall my child's. I voted Celtic because I find the Celtic languages fascinating and therefore the names also. Of course, I love the Germanic language too, but I have encountered marginally more Celtic names I like the sound of than Germanic names.

Diarmuid
Sunday, January 6th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I would love to give my children Celtic first names since I'm pretty much all Celtic in heritage. I'm positive I have some Germanic in me too since I have some Norman-Irish names in my family and perhaps a few Viking ancestors distantly, but I guess I feel I should stick with the Celtic names.

Red Skull
Sunday, January 6th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Romance. I want my first-born son to be named Paulus.

I haven't thought of what the daughter should be called, but my fiancé likes the name Anastasia (Hellenic in origin, I believe).

Next World
Sunday, January 6th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I'll name my children however I feel that they should be named, when they pop out.

If they don't like it, they can change it when they grow up.

Soldier of Wodann
Sunday, January 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Germanic names for the boys, Greek names for the girls. Germanic girl names are quite ugly and masculine IMO, but Greek ones are very elegant. I've always been partial to the names "Alexandra" and "Selene".

Deary
Sunday, January 6th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Germanic or Celtic as they will be Celtogermanics like myself. My children should have names reflecting whatever ethnicity will be dominant in them or names of the same origin as their surname. Hopefully, I'll find someone of British heritage to marry since I like those names the best :) From English, I have chosen Pearl, Rose, Scarlet and Victoria for the girls.

Red Skull
Sunday, January 6th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Germanic or Celtic as they will be Celtogermanics like myself. My children should have names reflecting whatever ethnicity will be dominant in them or names of the same origin as their surname. Hopefully, I'll find someone of British heritage to marry since I like those names the best :) From English, I have chosen Pearl, Rose, Scarlet, and Victoria for the girls.
Victoria is Romance in origin. ;)

Deary
Monday, January 7th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Victoria is Romance in origin. ;)

Yes, but still a rather well-established name in England so much that it is often described as being English and Spanish. Oh well.

Matamoros
Monday, January 7th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Of course such a thing is not entirely my decision - I'm sure my wife would want a say too. But I would like to use a Germanic name, although I also like some of Romance origin.

a.squiggles
Monday, January 7th, 2008, 05:34 AM
it's been decided a long time ago, well, not so much decided as narrowed down to a huge list :D

i remember names i liked from fairy tales i read as a child and the majority of these are from baltic/finnic/slavis/celtic fairy tales, although there are some germanic and romance ones as well :)

Psychonaut
Monday, January 7th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Since both my wife and I share English heritage, we named our son Merrick James.

sophia
Monday, January 7th, 2008, 07:43 AM
If I have son's I'll follow the pattern in my dad's family (name the first after his father, the second after his grandfathers with his paternal grandfather his first name and so on - although if I ended up with many many sons... some will have a lot of names XD).

As for daughters I like Theodora, Alice and Stephanie at the moment.

Assuming that's alright with the dad of course :p

Matamoros
Monday, January 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM
If I have son's I'll follow the pattern in my dad's family (name the first after his father, the second after his grandfathers with his paternal grandfather his first name and so on -

I would like to do this too - but when it's come up in conversation previously, the idea of giving my son the same name as me hasn't been too well recieved. :( I still think I'll do it though. :)

Esther_Helena
Monday, January 7th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Assuming that I meet someone, we get married and have kids...
(for the time being at least)...

I want to give my kids one "normal" name and one unusual name. - I like the more unusual names, but I want to give my kids options. Just because I'm a scifi/fantasy geek doesn't mean they will be too.

I want to name a kid after an ancestor. Seeing as I currently only have half of my future offsprings' family tree, I can't really come up with anything yet.

I may name my first daughter after her father, depending on what his name is. I was named for my father as was my mother. Never mind that we don't actually use those names.

Thusnelda
Monday, January 7th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Both. There are very nice Germanic names like "Freya", "Thusnelda", "Barbara" or, regarding males, "Karl" or "Wolfgang".

But there are also other nice names, like Anna, Stefan, (Cas)sandra, Peter or Fränzi. :)

Oski
Monday, January 7th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I simply choose a pleasant and strong germanic name.

Blood_Axis
Monday, January 7th, 2008, 05:37 PM
...posting my misplaced post where it belongs :p

There's a popular greek saying (roughly translated but in a way that rhymes -damn I'm good! ;))

"Though still unborn, we call him John".

Used in every occasion where one prematurely judges or tries to define a situation that may never materialize in the first place.

I think it applies to me :p

Phlegethon
Tuesday, January 8th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Same here, but in order to be consistent I'd name them Styx (Στυξ), Acheron and Cocytus (κωκυτός). A daughter I would name Harpy (Άρπυια), for all females are harpies (or vampires, but that would be less of a Hellenic and more of a Slavic thing). ;)

Just realized that Styx is a female name as well.

Bärin
Wednesday, July 9th, 2008, 04:15 PM
What inspired you when you named your children, or how do you plan to name your children?

After the mother, father, or another relative
After a distant or famous ancestor
After a mythological or religious figure
After a historical figure
Not specifically after anyone, I just like names with good meanings
I pick a random name
or other?

ladybright
Wednesday, July 9th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I named my son after my Great grandfather and the Patronyimic of two of my great grandmothers, His middle name is from my husbands grandfather's middle name and his great grandfather's first name. Neither first or middle names were in use this generation and I like them both.

My Daughter did not look like any of the names we had picked out so we gave her one that my husband came up with. She is frequently complimented on it. Her middle name is the same as my paternal aunts (all 3 of them).

Historical figures are good but family names are even better. Ethnic name are a good thing. I have one.:D

Bärin
Wednesday, July 9th, 2008, 04:30 PM
In my family, the tradition was to give children Russian names. I'm not going to keep this tradition however. In my boyfriend's family, the names were given predominantly after historical figures. Me and my boyfriend thought how we would name our children since a long time ago, even before we were a couple. If we have a boy, we will name him Erich. If we have a girl, we will name her Margot. The names are after our favourite East German leaders. We haven't thought about middle names though. :confused:

GroeneWolf
Wednesday, July 9th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I got a verry little book (http://www.fenris-postorder.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_23&products_id=105) with an incomplete list of traditional Germanic names and rules for namegiving. And I also have a little book where one article deals with how old Germanic names where constructed. I plan on using them both as an aid to name my futhere childeren.

SwordOfTheVistula
Wednesday, July 9th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Wilhelm/William is a common family name in both sides of my family, so one of my kids will be named that. Beyond that, I'll let the mother choose.

Hanna
Wednesday, July 9th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Well I've my surname from my dad's surname, but my mom choose my first and middle name. Its not a famous name which is '' Hanna'' but I'm glad she didn't call me '' Paris''.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thusnelda
Wednesday, July 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I´m pretty confident that my children will get a name from the Germanic mythology or German history. :)

These names are my favourites for girls: Thusnelda, Freya, Siegrid, Brunhilde, Barbara, Ingrid.

And for boys: Armin, Helmut, Gerd, Theoderich, Alfred, Georg.

Blood_Axis
Wednesday, July 9th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I will give my children mythological names....greek mythology is so rich in well-sounding names with beautiful meanings, so why search elsewhere? :)

BeornWulfWer
Wednesday, July 9th, 2008, 11:26 PM
My Daughter was named by her Mother. I did have an input on the final decision, but I agreed with the name anyway.

My Son was always going to be named a good strong name which would stand him out from others and would have a meaning he would eventually achieve.

I picked his name out of an Old English dictionary.

I'm glad I named him this name now, as he is a very strong minded character with a temper to equal my own.

Perhaps it is true when they say you take on your names persona. :)

Deary
Thursday, July 10th, 2008, 12:35 AM
In my family, there is a little tradition of giving Southern names. Southern names are typically defined as double names. These are created by using the first name always in conjunction with the middle name (we put them to good use). Unlike the first name, the middle name is almost always one syllable, and sometimes the first name is shortened while in conjunction with the middle name. This makes it so it can be easily used and said as a sort of pet name. For instance, my name is Kathryn Lynn and my cousin is Jourdan Jean. Our family knows us as "Katie Lynn" and "Jourdey Jean". You might also be familiar with names like "Sammie Jo", "Betty Sue" and "Rose Marie". Sometimes girls will be named with one male name or with a surname, which seems a little odd, but it really doesn't sound bad. Double names are used for men too. Southern names are also usually distinctively Celtic and French. We too like to name our children after our states (Georgia, Virginia, Carolina, Florida and Tennessee being the most popular) and after our Confederate heroes.

So, I picked "other". I want my children to have Southern names, preferably ones that represent their British heritage as well :)

SouthernBoy
Thursday, July 10th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I will give my children Christian names. :)

Matamoros
Thursday, July 10th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I hope to name my first son after myself, but a lot of women don't seem too keen on this idea.

My mother is named Elizabeth, I am Charles, and if I name my son William that will be 3 generations named after successive crown princes or princesses! :D

Siebenbürgerin
Thursday, July 10th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I will try to give my children typically Transylvanian Saxon names, to reflect their heritage. They are derived from many sources: mythology, history, Christian names, and more.

Mrs. Lyfing
Thursday, July 10th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Naming your children is so fun! :) While I was pregnant I found a couple names I liked, but it took me seeing them to know for sure. ;)

My son was given his fathers first name and I decided we would call him by his middle name ...Zackary..." Zack "

My daughter, I gave my middle name, Leigh. I knew as soon as I seen her she was a Rachel. :)

Hanna
Thursday, July 10th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Naming your children is so fun! :) While I was pregnant I found a couple names I liked, but it took me seeing them to know for sure. ;)

My son was given his fathers first name and I decided we would call him by his middle name ...Zackary..." Zack "

My daughter, I gave my middle name, Leigh. I knew as soon as I seen her she was a Rachel. :)

You have a nice family and a loving husband and you''re married to your childhood sweet heart. What you could ask more ? Good luck:)

Plushtar
Thursday, July 10th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I am leaning towards mythological firgures, but I would let the mother have the decision.

Timberwolf
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 06:18 AM
What are some good Germanic names that have no connection to the Bible or Hebrew names?

GroeneWolf
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
What are some good Germanic names that have no connection to the Bible or Hebrew names?

You mean besides all of them ;) ? Werkgroep Hagel has made list of Germanic names (http://www.hagal.be/zinnige_voornamen.htm) ready to use.

Timberwolf
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Well the reason I said that was because most of the names I've found in common usage have a Hebrew origin. For example, Hans, Jens, Johannes, Joachim, Jakob, Michael, Matthias, and other ones like Klaus are of Greek origin. Thanks for the list though.

GroeneWolf
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Well the reason I said that was because most of the names I've found in common usage have a Hebrew origin. For example, Hans, Jens, Johannes, Joachim, Jakob, Michael, Matthias, and other ones like Klaus are of Greek origin. Thanks for the list though.

Yes, a lot of names have a non-Germanic origin. The Hebrew/Latin one's are easy to explain thanks to influence of the (Catholic) Church. However other non-Germanic names also came to our lands when French was the language for the elites to speak.

And you're welcome.

Octothorpe
Monday, July 28th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I named my daughter Samantha, as I wanted to call her Sam. Why? Embarassing admission: I'm a Lord of the Rings freak, and that was as close to 'Samwise' I could get (the elvish names were non-starters for my first wife!). As for my son, my (second) wife DX'd my choice ("Maxwell Edison"--yes, from the Beatles song) and went with something more 'normal,' Nathan. I love him anyway. :D

Patrioten
Monday, July 28th, 2008, 08:31 PM
If I ever have children, and if I have a son, he will get my first name as his middle name, as is or at least was the tradition, then he would get the first name of one of my ancestors, Wiktor, whom I consider to be a great man, a man of principle and deep religious faith, a patriarch who practised the family values of old and who was widely respected within his own community. That's the kind of example I'd like to set for any future children of mine, and by connecting my own flesh and blood to their own ancestors in such a manner, hopefully it would instill in them a sense of pride as they grow old enough to appreciate the wisdom and values of their forefathers.

MamaMacK
Friday, August 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
We named our son after a song we liked; our daughter was named by looking up names meaning "joy" and "gift" in a baby book because she was so unexpected.

Anlef
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008, 02:39 AM
My (future) children would be named after relatives, mostly (and preferably) Germanic-Dutch names, but not exclusively.

Names I like for boys: Rutger, Frederik, Wijnand, IJsbrand, Boye, Ede
Names I like for girls: Fenne, Inge, Linde, Elske, Wietske

Sigurd
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008, 04:08 AM
My maternal family - from which my own family names derives - has a long tradition of using good old Germanic names, in fact the Niebelungen feature quite commonly: Pretty much all names except Brunhilde and Giselher have been featured at some point down the timeline.

As such, I have decided ever since that my first-born son should be called Siegfried, as it combines all things convenient: It is the name of the folk hero I most cherish, it is the name of my beloved grandfather, as well as his father before him. I could not think of a more fitting name for my first-born.

Other than that I continue to prefer "traditional" German names that come from a Germanic source, in some cases names from mythology/history --- the usual.

Favourite names for boys are names like: Siegfried (as abovementioned), Hagen, Dietrich/Dieter (= Dietrich von Bern is equivalent and the legend name for Theoderich the Great, great folk hero), Armin, Guntram, Friedrich, Ingo, Thorsten, Rudolf, Arnulf, Ludwig, Baldur, Burkhart .... for the record actually most of them featured in my family at some point. ;)

Favourite names for girls are: Sigrid, Ilse/Elise, Ingeborg, Freyja, Astrid, Zisa, Notburga, Brunhild, Jördis, Gudrun. (again, some featured in the family line)

BTW, list is of course not "exhaustive".

Thusnelda

As meaningful as the name is - that's the question again: Whether to give one's children a name where, in school, there is an easy bad-blooded nickname to go with it. A child named Thusnelda will be mobbed from Day One with the use of the name as in "Tussi". Not want you want to have ... much like calling your son Kaspar. ;)

As such, that'd be the sort of name I'd be using as middle-name in a girl. ;)

Imperator X
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008, 04:39 AM
If it's a male... Dylan (Welsh) William (Norman) Arjuna (Hindu)

and if it's a female... Persephone (Hellenic) Amrita (Hindu)

The names are for 1 boy and 1 girl... so the boy will have 2 middle names.

Stormraaf
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I would prefer giving my children names with Germanic origins, excluding those which have no Afrikaans form. A few I like, which are also common amongst Afrikaners with my surname, is Karla, Kara and Karin for a girl. Haven't thought much about male names.

You mean besides all of them ;) ? Werkgroep Hagel has made list of Germanic names (http://www.hagal.be/zinnige_voornamen.htm) ready to use.
Great list. :)

Anfang
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008, 07:39 AM
That's a really nice raven stormgraff!

I Love names and naming. Names are so important.

We named our boy after his great great great great grandfather Who lived in Baden Baden n the 19th century. A good old germanic name.

My wife would not go for Gudrun or Waldtraut so we named her after a Roman Goddess.

In Our families we have some good names and In general I like the tradition of using old family names.

We have=
Female: Mercedes (She drives an audi), Irma, (Germanic meaning "source of all light) Heike (saxon) , Minerva
I love this ancient name, it is that of a Roman goddess but the source is the ancient Etruscan "Mnrva") (now that is just sheer indo european power consonants, lol) Erna Germanic "battle to the death" Heidi, Marina, Pura , Gisela, Josepha (After Franz Joseph of course, but I dont really like it) Currah (Celtic spanish)

Male: Oskar, Oswald, Helger, Felix(celtic) Arthuro, Frank, Gregor, Max, Adalberto , Vincent, Thomans , Ernesto (germanic battle to the death, latinized). Martin (celtic)

My favorite names are A,, Germanic, mostly Scandinavian N West German.

Female #1= Gunhild. #2 Gudrun # 3 Vendela. after those:

Alke Waldtraut, Famke, Erika, Luitgard, Heide, Emma,.Birgitta, Hel.

Male: No top three, Heimdall , Anders, Adolph, Hermann,Hokan, Gerd,balder Heinz, Hans

Reynard
Sunday, February 1st, 2009, 09:15 PM
My first son was named after his grandfathers.

My second son was given a Saxon Name.

Kriemhild
Sunday, February 1st, 2009, 10:50 PM
If I choose to have children, they will most likely be named after relatives - that's always how it's been done in my family. I'm named after my great-great-grandmother. But I wouldn't rule out a nice name from Germanic lore, i.e. Freyja, Kára, Wayland, etc. ;)

forkbeard
Sunday, February 1st, 2009, 11:25 PM
When choosing names think carefully if they can cause teasing or rhyme badly or have any negative connotation. I think the first names should honour family members, fathers, mothers uncles etc. This can ensure an inheritance in some cases.
The second name should be historical, since an unusual middle name is generally hidden and later in life curiosity will draw the child to the ancestors after which they are named and by whom they are protected.
Though neither Christian or Asatru I did carry a copy of Heimskringla into the birthing room for all the births of our children. Our brains still have an animal part, fearful and nervous of events such as birth.
Whilst in labour Heimskringla revealed to me our childrens names.

Hersir
Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
Every member in my family has norse names, so I want to continue that. Im not very fond of biblical names.
Maybe I will name a kid after a ancestor.

celticviking
Friday, April 9th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I like Alfred, Arthur, Roger, William, Charles for boys
and Gwen, Emily, Mary,Kate, Jane for Girls

But not sure yet haha

Hamrammr
Friday, April 9th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Definately family names! A boy would be given one of my family's names which is Johannes Petrus, Johannes Andreas or Jacobus Phillipus. This would only be full names and he would then be called Hans, Hannes, JP, AJ or something simialar to one of the full names. A Girl would be named after my wife's side- Dorothy Elizabeth or Barbara. This is all names that have been in the families for centuries now, from my side they could be traced back to 16th century Germany!:thumbup

Neophyte
Friday, April 9th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I am named after my grandfather and that is OK by me. :)

Stormraaf
Saturday, April 10th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Apropos my previous post where I stated a preference for names of Germanic origins: I'm fully comfortable with a hard-line, exclusive approach to following that rule. Names given to children says something about the parents as well, and to champion our Germanic qualities and attributes while willing to bestow upon our children names from other civilizations would be sadly hypocritical. Meaningful, euphonic, strong and/or elegant names which also sound natural in Afrikaner society, either in Dutch or in Afrikaans-adapted form, can be found in abundance in the Germanic pool.

This approach does place a rather heavy limit on which hereditary names of our forebears we (Afrikaners) can use, a great many of which is Romanised, Dutchified names of Hebrew origins. The name 'Abraham' of one of my grandfathers has not, and will not, be passed on. My own name is of Roman origin, Dutchified and common in Afrikaner society, but I would not wish that to be passed on either (just as well, since I wasn't named after a relative either).

What I'm opposed to just as much as perpetuating Hebrew naming is using neologisms based on the names of two forebears. I often find such combinations to sound unnatural.

theTasmanian
Saturday, April 10th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Family Names for me thanks ;)

Poor lil bloke :D

Kazimierz :-O Richard After my late Grandfather who taught me to shoot and my father as middle name

i am considering(with permission from she who must be obeyed) Heinrich or Friedich or Claus but i think the first option is better

Poor girl well Wiebke Julie after my late grandmother and wife mother
i don't mind Helga Ingrid or Frederica but again i think poor old Gran needs her name to keep going ;)