PDA

View Full Version : My Yggdrasil Leadlight Window

Vanir
Tuesday, December 6th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Finally my leadlight window is finished. I had always wanted a feature leadlight window of a Germanic religious theme and thought that the front window of my house was perfect to tell a tale of the World Tree, given it comprises a large upper pane (for the Tree) and a smaller lower pane (for the Roots) so went ahead with it. Took me ages to save up for it, though I am very happy with the result.

Pics about 300kb or so each, apologies about the size
photo 1 (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/%7Etiwaz/leadlight7.JPG)
photo 2 (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/%7Etiwaz/leadlight6.JPG)
photo 3 (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/%7Etiwaz/leadlight4.JPG)

The photos just don't do justice to the richness of the colours, and the various glasses used are beautiful in their own right. The glass chosed for the trunk and roots of Yggdrasil actually has a grain appearance, even with knots, like real wood!

The window is of Woden hanging from Yggdrasil, the tale of his self sacrifice to grasp the Runes told in Elder Futhark in the surrounding border.
Bifrost can be seen in the clouds behind, and Jormungander encircles the roots.

I kept it simple as I did not want it to be too cluttered. There are also physical limitations of the leadlighting craft that the artist Karl did well to work around as it was!

It took me months and months to find a leadlight artist who I was happy working with. I did not want anyone of non Northern blood to do it, otherwise it would be tainted. I want people who see it to be intrigued by it, and to have their interest in their own heritage hopefully awakened. (Even if only a seed is planted in their minds. Every little bit counts)

It looks spectacular during the day from inside with the sunlight shining through it, and looks striking at night lit up with the inside lights shining through it (I'll get some pics)

When I can afford it, I shall be having the same chap create another window of the same size for me, though I have several tales I would like to capture, and am not decided on which yet...

Blutwölfin
Tuesday, December 6th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Oh my Gods is this BEAUTIFUL, Surt! Absolutely breathtaking!

Cuchullain
Tuesday, December 6th, 2005, 10:32 PM
That is an excellent feature Surt, well done.;)

Slainte

klokkwerx
Tuesday, December 6th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Very Nice!

Sigurd
Wednesday, December 7th, 2005, 12:49 AM
That is pure beauty! ;) :thumbsup

Ewergrin
Wednesday, December 7th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Finally my leadlight window is finished. I had always wanted a feature leadlight window of a Germanic religious theme and thought that the front window of my house was perfect to tell a tale of the World Tree, given it comprises a large upper pane (for the Tree) and a smaller lower pane (for the Roots) so went ahead with it. Took me ages to save up for it, though I am very happy with the result.

Pics about 300kb or so each, apologies about the size
photo 1 (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/%7Etiwaz/leadlight7.JPG)
photo 2 (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/%7Etiwaz/leadlight6.JPG)
photo 3 (http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/%7Etiwaz/leadlight4.JPG)

The photos just don't do justice to the richness of the colours, and the various glasses used are beautiful in their own right. The glass chosed for the trunk and roots of Yggdrasil actually has a grain appearance, even with knots, like real wood!

The window is of Woden hanging from Yggdrasil, the tale of his self sacrifice to grasp the Runes told in Elder Futhark in the surrounding border.
Bifrost can be seen in the clouds behind, and Jormungander encircles the roots.

I kept it simple as I did not want it to be too cluttered. There are also physical limitations of the leadlighting craft that the artist Karl did well to work around as it was!

It took me months and months to find a leadlight artist who I was happy working with. I did not want anyone of non Northern blood to do it, otherwise it would be tainted. I want people who see it to be intrigued by it, and to have their interest in their own heritage hopefully awakened. (Even if only a seed is planted in their minds. Every little bit counts)

It looks spectacular during the day from inside with the sunlight shining through it, and looks striking at night lit up with the inside lights shining through it (I'll get some pics)

When I can afford it, I shall be having the same chap create another window of the same size for me, though I have several tales I would like to capture, and am not decided on which yet...

I am simply stunned. This is the most beautiful leadlight window I have ever seen. How much did this cost? How long did it take to create? Where on your house is this window located?

Sifsvina
Wednesday, December 7th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Wow! Very beautiful!

I want people who see it to be intrigued by it, and to have their interest in their own heritage hopefully awakened. (Even if only a seed is planted in their minds. Every little bit counts)

Even seemingly invisible dust can collect over time to make mountains;-) This is very visible and different enough to bring inquiries that are openings to sharing further knowledge. It took me a long time to "get it" myself. So much of what I appreciate now was covered in too much stereotypical cheese and "old is bad" for me to see it clearly earlier. A young girl is not attracted for long to a style that will get her sneered at for looking like Heidi:-) Now I don't care and not many dare sneer at me;-) Most of my "seeds" are through looks/dress and action.
:valkyrie

Vanir
Wednesday, December 7th, 2005, 10:27 AM
I am simply stunned. This is the most beautiful leadlight window I have ever seen. How much did this cost? How long did it take to create? Where on your house is this window located?
It cost me AU$2500 in the end, it took me awhile to gather the money (as bills kept getting in the way) but I feel it was a worthwhile investment. I didn't just want a fancy window, I wanted a work of cultural art, that might hopefully last a long time. It took about 3 months to to build on/off, though I had been planning it for over a year now.

It is in the window facing the street, so that at night, the inside lights shining through it light it up spectacularly. My area is effectively a little Anglo-Saxon enclave, so I hope to evoke in my neighbours a feeling of the beauty & depth, and relevance of their own heritage.

The artist who made it enjoyed making it so much that he told me he would make any further windows I planned charging me only the wholesale cost of the various glasses themselves, along with a token labour fee. He is very interested in Germanic Lore and Culture now, so at the very least I have awoken one Germanic soul in the course of this endeavour.

I am toying with the idea of telling the tale of Tiw and Fenrir in the next window, as I like the example of iron courage, duty, and sacrifice for greater good Tiw sets in losing his sword-arm to the Wolf. But that's just one idea...

Mistress Klaus
Wednesday, December 7th, 2005, 12:40 PM
:beer: I love it!!!

May it remain protected. I personally would be frightened to place such master craftmanship upon the potential access to the public.

Vanir
Wednesday, December 7th, 2005, 01:31 PM
:beer: I love it!!!

May it remain protected. I personally would be frightened to place such master craftmanship upon the potential access to the public.

One step ahead of you. Externally, it is protected by double-glazed impact resistant glass (in case of lawn-mower thrown stones, or people knocking on it to see if anyone is home etc) Repairing cracked or damaged leadlighting is very expensive, as they basically have to pull it apart and rebuild it. It is not often they can perform a "drop in" repair, and such repairs are never strong.

Weg
Sunday, December 11th, 2005, 03:56 AM
I love leadlight windows and yours is original. The ambiance in this room must be propitious to meditation.