PDA

View Full Version : What makes the wierder eye colors, is it just recessive genes?

Preußischer_Schatten
Wednesday, November 30th, 2005, 04:10 AM
What makes the wierder eye colors, I mean is it just recessive genes?

My great grandmother had purple eyes and my dad and I have yellow eyes (picture in the eye color poll)

Also, what about hair color mixtures, like darker hair with lighter colors, still a case of recessive and dominant?

What I am asking specifically is if any of these kinds of traits are simply typical to any part of the world or if they jsut happen because of biology. Anything anyone knows is appreciated.

Prost.

alphaknave
Wednesday, November 30th, 2005, 11:45 AM
What makes the wierder eye colors, I mean is it just recessive genes?

My great grandmother had purple eyes and my dad and I have yellow eyes (picture in the eye color poll)

Also, what about hair color mixtures, like darker hair with lighter colors, still a case of recessive and dominant?

What I am asking specifically is if any of these kinds of traits are simply typical to any part of the world or if they jsut happen because of biology. Anything anyone knows is appreciated.

Prost.

Yellow eyes are light brown. Purple eyes? I'd like to see a picture of that.

This sounds to be more of a Skadi type question.

Preußischer_Schatten
Wednesday, November 30th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Yellow eyes are light brown. Purple eyes? I'd like to see a picture of that.

This sounds to be more of a Skadi type question.

If yellow eyes are light brown then why are they yellow? They have bits of green too, it's a marbled effect. I know this sounds dumb but once this artist did a full color analysis of my eyes so I know what they are.

A picture, well my great grandmother is quiet dead so you'll have to go with me on this one since her daughter remebers her well.

Purple/maybe very deep deep blue.

Well, I don't know what the term Skadi is exactly because I am relatively new to all this, so you're going to have to help me out here.

Blutwölfin
Wednesday, November 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM
It's another forum that you find here (http://forum.skadi.net/).

Preußischer_Schatten
Wednesday, November 30th, 2005, 12:24 PM
...heehee thanks.

Sorry about that. :doh

Weg
Wednesday, November 30th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Quite logically, mixed colours occur among "mixed" population (different colours, subracial types). Doesn't mean you're a halfbreed though.

Sigurd
Wednesday, November 30th, 2005, 08:37 PM
"Yellow" would fall under Light Mixed, IMO.
Dark Hair Colour is usually where a darker hair type and a lighter type conflict, especially when the person used to have light hair in childhood. My hair is dark brown when it is really , but the longer it gets the reddish hint of my childhood seems to be coming back a little, and at the minute the general look of it appears to me "middle brown" ;)
Be reminded though, that one with brown hair and brown eyes may still be perfectly Nordish as such, the whole thing can "jump" a generation as well.

Well, I suck at genetic analysis, so we'll just leave it at that... :D ;)

alphaknave
Wednesday, November 30th, 2005, 09:03 PM
If yellow eyes are light brown then why are they yellow? They have bits of green too, it's a marbled effect. I know this sounds dumb but once this artist did a full color analysis of my eyes so I know what they are.

You speak of a marble effect changing from yellow to green. It sounds like the eyes are light brown/dark green. Eye colour is a spectrum:

0) Pink (Albino) (absence of pigment)

1) Blue (clear) (or "pure" blue)

2) Blue (darker) (or grey-Blue)

3) Grey (pure) (exact intermediate between "pure" blue and "pure" green)

4) Grey (darker) (grey-green)

5) Green (pure) (exact intermed. between "pure" grey and "pure" brown)

6) Green (darker) ( or green-brown, or greenish/brownish. The intermediate between brown spectrum and green spectrum)

7) Brown (hazel) (or light-brown)

8) Brown ( the "classic" brown)

9) Brown (darker) (or dark-brown, or brown/black)

10) Black (rather rare, inside europid race)

Blue eyes have very little pigment and look blue because of an optical effect similar to the reason the sky is blue. The sky contains particles of dust and smoke and when light reflects you get a blue colour. Same with your eyes. The pigment is little, but the light relects to give a blue look. For more on this topic there is a recent discussion here (http://forum.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=43290).

Preußischer_Schatten
Thursday, December 1st, 2005, 02:34 AM
Quite logically, mixed colours occur among "mixed" population (different colours, subracial types). Doesn't mean you're a halfbreed though.

I suppose that makes sense. But that part shows more with my hair. I do see what you mean though.

"Yellow" would fall under Light Mixed, IMO.
Dark Hair Colour is usually where a darker hair type and a lighter type conflict, especially when the person used to have light hair in childhood. My hair is dark brown when it is really , but the longer it gets the reddish hint of my childhood seems to be coming back a little, and at the minute the general look of it appears to me "middle brown" ;)
Be reminded though, that one with brown hair and brown eyes may still be perfectly Nordish as such, the whole thing can "jump" a generation as well.

Well, I suck at genetic analysis, so we'll just leave it at that... :D ;)

Aha...that's an interesting idea. My dad's mother has blond hair blue eyes, his dad had black, so my dad had blond hair and then it turned to black, my mom has red hair, so I have blakc hair with red and blond highlights (which is true)

I'm trying to apply your case to mine as far as hair goes XD.

And yes, the generation jump is true as well, two of my grandma's other sons have brown hair and brown eyes and then her daughter has blue eyes and blond hair.

You speak of a marble effect changing from yellow to green. It sounds like the eyes are light brown/dark green. Eye colour is a spectrum:

6) Green (darker) ( or green-brown, or greenish/brownish. The intermediate between brown spectrum and green spectrum)

Blue eyes have very little pigment and look blue because of an optical effect similar to the reason the sky is blue. The sky contains particles of dust and smoke and when light reflects you get a blue colour. Same with your eyes. The pigment is little, but the light relects to give a blue look. For more on this topic there is a recent discussion here (http://forum.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=43290).

That's interesting. In addition, I'm not sure if you saw my eyes or not in the other thread so here.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/637/eyes9jv.jpg

alphaknave
Thursday, December 1st, 2005, 03:13 AM
That's interesting. In addition, I'm not sure if you saw my eyes or not in the other thread so here.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/637/eyes9jv.jpg

They look brown in the middle, light green on the outer. This is pretty common among mixed people (i.e. one light, one dark eyed parent) in general. I have light brown (yellow) inside ring and a green/grey outside.

This (http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=39) tells a bit about hair colour, even though I don't really think he knows what he's talking about. I used his theory on me. MY mom has dark brown/black hair (so HHHHHHHh) and my dad has about the same (HHHHHHHh). My hair is dark blonde/light brown (HHHHhhhh or HHHhhhhh). According to his theory, the lightest my hair could be is HHHHHHhh. So, the way he descibes is probably one way, but there have to be other factors like ressesive factors. My aunts all have blonde hair (mom's sisters). So, blonde is there somewhere, but for some reason it did not show in my mom, but then did in me. That is ressesive.

Preußischer_Schatten
Thursday, December 1st, 2005, 03:46 AM
They look brown in the middle, light green on the outer. This is pretty common among mixed people (i.e. one light, one dark eyed parent) in general. I have light brown (yellow) inside ring and a green/grey outside.

This (http://www.thetech.org/genetics/ask.php?id=39) tells a bit about hair colour, even though I don't really think he knows what he's talking about. I used his theory on me. MY mom has dark brown/black hair (so HHHHHHHh) and my dad has about the same (HHHHHHHh). My hair is dark blonde/light brown (HHHHhhhh or HHHhhhhh). According to his theory, the lightest my hair could be is HHHHHHhh. So, the way he descibes is probably one way, but there have to be other factors like ressesive factors. My aunts all have blonde hair (mom's sisters). So, blonde is there somewhere, but for some reason it did not show in my mom, but then did in me. That is ressesive.

Both of my parents are light eyed.

Anyway, as far as hair goes, the darker colors are dominant the lighter are recessive as a rule. The blond hair and blue eyes thing probably skips a generation which is why for example my grandmother's mother had darker hair and lighter eyes and had my grandmother and her brother with a darker haired man with lgither eyes and had two kids, one with light eyes light hair and the other with light eyes dark hair.

-Biology time! hurray-
Rr + Rr= (Rr)(Rr)= The possibilities of RR (dark hair, dark eyes) Rr (dark hair, light eyes) Rr (Dark hair light eyes) and rr (light hair light eyes)

So they had one Rr and one rr

then

rr + Rr= Rr, Rr, rr, rr

and they had exactly that.

Then

rr + Rr= Rr, Rr, rr, rr

They had me, Rr.
-----------------

:doh major headache lol I hope I did that correctly, if I didn't, sorry, haven't had biology in 3 years.

alphaknave
Thursday, December 1st, 2005, 08:07 PM
Both of my parents are light eyed.

Anyway, as far as hair goes, the darker colors are dominant the lighter are recessive as a rule. The blond hair and blue eyes thing probably skips a generation which is why for example my grandmother's mother had darker hair and lighter eyes and had my grandmother and her brother with a darker haired man with lgither eyes and had two kids, one with light eyes light hair and the other with light eyes dark hair.

-Biology time! hurray-
Rr + Rr= (Rr)(Rr)= The possibilities of RR (dark hair, dark eyes) Rr (dark hair, light eyes) Rr (Dark hair light eyes) and rr (light hair light eyes)

So they had one Rr and one rr

then

rr + Rr= Rr, Rr, rr, rr

and they had exactly that.

Then

rr + Rr= Rr, Rr, rr, rr

They had me, Rr.
-----------------

:doh major headache lol I hope I did that correctly, if I didn't, sorry, haven't had biology in 3 years.

I've learned that you cannot use that box multiplication meathod correctly because hair colour is a continuum.

Preußischer_Schatten
Friday, December 2nd, 2005, 12:10 AM
I've learned that you cannot use that box multiplication meathod correctly because hair colour is a continuum.
It appears I've been mislead by my bio teacher :P

Thanks for all that information before btw.

alphaknave
Friday, December 2nd, 2005, 07:56 PM
It appears I've been mislead by my bio teacher :P

Thanks for all that information before btw.

No problem. :thumbsup My psycology teacher told me about hair color. I hope she was right.

Preußischer_Schatten
Friday, December 2nd, 2005, 08:30 PM
No problem. :thumbsup My psycology teacher told me about hair color. I hope she was right.
I hope so too lol.

Huzar
Friday, December 2nd, 2005, 09:51 PM

Well, well, well...............this particular scale is VERY good.......:P :D (it's mine ;) )

Weg
Friday, December 2nd, 2005, 11:58 PM
Well, well, well...............this particular scale is VERY good.......:P :D (it's mine ;) )

Hu it actually reminded me of something I had read on skadi. ;)

The Black Prince
Saturday, December 3rd, 2005, 12:07 AM
Hu it actually reminded me of something I had read on skadi. ;)

hehe :)

Although the 'yellow' eyse hear look more green(hazel) + a brown ring ;)

Weg
Saturday, December 3rd, 2005, 12:10 AM

Indeed. I have yet to meet someone with this sort of eyes.

The Black Prince
Saturday, December 3rd, 2005, 12:46 AM
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5127/ye5dv.jpg

I agree, just as on Skadi, the color is very light-brown (But looking yellow, especially from a difference :D )

Huzar
Saturday, December 3rd, 2005, 12:46 AM

ok, ok.............;);)

Indeed. I have yet to meet someone with this sort of eyes

:P :P

The Black Prince
Saturday, December 3rd, 2005, 12:59 AM
well they look quite yellow didn't they :D

Huzar
Saturday, December 3rd, 2005, 01:10 AM
well they look quite yellow didn't they :D

Mine ? Yellow ?

The Black Prince
Saturday, December 3rd, 2005, 01:19 AM
No, sorry for the confusing. ;)

I meant this one, on one of my previous post :)

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5127/ye5dv.jpg

The Black Prince
Saturday, December 3rd, 2005, 01:19 AM
no offense though :)

alphaknave
Sunday, December 4th, 2005, 03:28 AM
There are many examples on Skadi, just do a search. Most of this info is already on there.