PDA

View Full Version : Identify this plant...

Ewergrin
Saturday, November 19th, 2005, 09:31 PM
This curious looking little weed popped up from out of nowhere in my garden, so I thought I'd take a picture and post here for identification. I have never seen this type of weed in my garden before. Any ideas?

Vanir
Sunday, November 20th, 2005, 12:23 PM
This curious looking little weed popped up from out of nowhere in my garden, so I thought I'd take a picture and post here for identification. I have never seen this type of weed in my garden before. Any ideas?
What a strange looking plant! Almost like three butterflies in conference or something.

Not familar with North American flora unfortunately, but perhaps this link might help you http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/emeplants.html I've emailed the pic of this weed to two members of the Australian Flora Association I am a member of, hopefully they might recognize it given their decades of experience.

PsycholgclMishap
Monday, November 21st, 2005, 05:02 PM
That's a pretty plant...are you sure it's a weed?

Ewergrin
Tuesday, November 22nd, 2005, 03:58 AM
That's a pretty plant...are you sure it's a weed?
I'm rather confident that it was a weed. It was only a few inches form the ground, and close to the base of another plant in my garden, typical behaviour of weed growth. I yanked it out because I didn't know what it was, and it wasn't part of my plan for the garden. It is rather curious looking, so I posted it here.

Cuchullain
Thursday, November 24th, 2005, 12:23 AM
I don't know but my father will. I'll ask him the next time I am at his house.

Slainte

Blood_Axis
Thursday, November 24th, 2005, 12:34 AM
I showed to a friend who is an agriculturist. He was uncertain, but he said it might be some kind of clover. Does not look harmful...

Cuchullain
Thursday, November 24th, 2005, 12:37 AM
I agree that it is probably not harmful and your friend is probably right about it being a kind of clover. I will check it out when I can.

Slainte

Ewergrin
Thursday, November 24th, 2005, 02:48 AM
http://www.landart.ru/flowers/pic-flowers/Oxallis-regnellii-b.jpg

Seems as though I may have found it's name.
Oxalis Regnellii

Also called Purple Shamrock, for it turns purple when maturing.
If this is indeed it, I feel kind of sick for throwing it out.

Blood_Axis
Thursday, November 24th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Oxalis Regnellii

Awww...it looks like the one. Pity. Let's hope it grows back sometime :)

Ewergrin
Thursday, November 24th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I am not 100% certain, as the leaves are not identical in shape. but the possibility is certainly there.

Weg
Thursday, November 24th, 2005, 03:41 PM
I am not 100% certain, as the leaves are not identical in shape. but the possibility is certainly there.

Yeah, the colour is different plus the leaves' form do not fit perfectly.

Ewergrin
Thursday, November 24th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Yeah, the colour is different plus the leaves' form do not fit perfectly.
There are variations of the same plant, with different coloured foliage. More than likely, the plant in my garden was related in some fashion. Regardless, it's gone now. I should have just let it thrive for a while.

Weg
Thursday, November 24th, 2005, 10:16 PM
There are variations of the same plant, with different coloured foliage. More than likely, the plant in my garden was related in some fashion. Regardless, it's gone now. I should have just let it thrive for a while.

It happened to me as well. I thought it was a weed, I cut it, it wasn't... :doh

Otherwise, it was a lovely plant.

http://www.yuccado.com/images/th_oxalis_regnell_fran1849.jpg

Sifsvina
Thursday, November 24th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Very pretty plant. I like it even better than it's obvious cousin.
What is a weed anyway besides a plant that you didn't plan on? Most plants were originally "weeds". If you are growing a crop of course you want to get rid of anything else and some weeds can take over but some are just innocent little "volunteers" that can turn out quite nice looking or even edible or medicinal. Don't get me wrong, I'm not on a save the weed campaign:-)
:valkyrie

Blood_Axis
Tuesday, February 27th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Oxalis Regnellii

I came across the very same plant at a friends house and it was potted.

Besides the fact that it looked fantastic (that one was purple), my friend said it is edible and rather tasty as well :)

So, should you see it again, don't pull it out...pot it ;)

Gorm the Old
Wednesday, February 28th, 2007, 04:00 AM
"A weed is a plant whose virtue has not yet been discovered."

Sifsvina
Wednesday, February 28th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Or been forgotten.

We use weeds regularly for food and medicine.

NatRev
Wednesday, February 28th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Ok, Ewergrin,

call me thicky thick McThickson of thicky thick land here... but...

what is the difference between a weed and a flower?

I mean is there like some factor that states that plants that do such and such are weeds and are all weeds 'bad'?

I have a few gardening books but never really understood what makes one plant a weed and another a flower/ herb etc... :rolleyes:

Ewergrin
Thursday, March 1st, 2007, 02:27 AM
Ok, Ewergrin,

call me thicky thick McThickson of thicky thick land here
oK, Mr. Thicky Thick McThickson of Thicky Thick Land...:doh :D

what is the difference between a weed and a flower?
Well, in my assumption, any wild vegetation that is not intentionally grown in ones garden would constitute being a "weed."

I mean is there like some factor that states that plants that do such and such are weeds and are all weeds 'bad'?
Weeds are generally undesireable, don't flow with the landscape theme, and grow profusely. They can take over a garden or spot of land in no time, and are hard to get rid of! They can also smother the plants that you do want to flourish and some of the more nasty weeds are prone to insect infestation.

I have a few gardening books but never really understood what makes one plant a weed and another a flower/ herb etc... :rolleyes:
Then you should open one of those gardening books sometime. :D
I'm no expert, that's for sure.

Sifsvina
Thursday, March 1st, 2007, 07:24 AM
The only difference between a weed and a "good" plant is that weeds are "uninvited", usually a plant that is not commonly cultivated for human use. Some are harmless and some will take over. "Good" plants can turn into weeds if left to seed themselves, some harmless and some taking over. Weeds are actually what is more natural for the ground you are planting, it is the perfect enviroment for them while the plants you plant are varieties specially breed for human uses and often need human help to seed and grow well. Varieties are chosen for cultivation that do not go to seed quickly (they produce edible parts longer) and take over:) A "good" plant is a wild plant (called a weed when it grows where we don't want it or causes some sort of annoyance) that someone decided would be useful and cultivated on purpose. Can you really blame them for jumping on all that lovely turned and fertilized soil?
Sigh, there I go defending weeds again:D I like blackberries, they are weeds too, I'm making blackberry jam tomorrow.

Northerner
Friday, March 2nd, 2007, 06:33 AM
The plant is definitely in the genus Oxalis, though I don't think it is O. regnellii.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks to me more like O. latifolia. In the U.S. this is a mainly a southwestern plant. I am not sure of its distribution outside the U.S. The genus Oxalis itself has a worldwide distribution.

Blood_Axis
Monday, April 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Grrrrrr...I still can't believe you killed it! :P

I saw my friend's beautiful Oxalis again in Sweden, and it is so pretty... It grows very fast and she has divided it to smaller pots.
I can't seem to find one anywhere around here. :(