PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Which Tree Should I Choose?

Ewergrin
Friday, October 7th, 2005, 10:53 PM
So, I went to a local nursery today with the intent on picking up a new tree to plant in the front yard. My main objective was to find a nice Bradford Pear or a River Birch. Having toured the facility a bit I discovered several trees that caught my eye, but I have narrowed down the selection to the top three trees.

1. Bradford Pear (http://www.cdr3.com/bradford/)
http://www.jmadden.info/trees/Bradford%20Pear.jpg

2. River Birch (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/Education/ohiotrees/birchriver.htm)
http://www.ashland-city.k12.oh.us/ahs/classes/hort/2002/bio-edison/riverbirch.jpg

3. Red Maple (http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/red_maple.htm)
http://www.mikesjournal.com/Red%20maple.jpg

Blutwölfin
Friday, October 7th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Take the Red Maple. It just looks great. :)

PsycholgclMishap
Friday, October 7th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Can you post a picture of your frontyard? If it were your backyard (as I remember from photos you've posted in the past) I'd choose the Red Maple but I'd like to see your frontyard so I can make a better choice. :)

Blood_Axis
Friday, October 7th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Wow :)

I am unsure between 1 and 3.

I think the Red Maple wins in appearance, and thereafter it's up to you to decide considering other factors as well such as maintenance, tolerance to climate and diseases, and so on. ;)

Sifsvina
Saturday, October 8th, 2005, 01:51 AM
oooh, hard choice! I'm partial to birch myself, white arms and all that:-)

Odin's Pie
Saturday, October 8th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Take the Pear tree.

We tried planting them here but deer ravaged them when they were saplings.

I don't think a Maple would go well in Louisiana, more of a pear kinda clime; Maple seems more wintery.

If you plan on having young relatives over or your own children you'll want them to be able to climb into a tree and eat pears. :thumbsup

Plus you can make wine from Bradford Pears.

Ewergrin
Saturday, October 8th, 2005, 07:26 AM
I don't think a Maple would go well in Louisiana, more of a pear kinda clime; Maple seems more wintery.
Maples of several varities flourish here. My property is surrounded by large Silver Maples.

Wayfarer
Sunday, October 9th, 2005, 05:01 AM
I think you should choose a tree which is native to your area. Personally i would choose the Birch :)

Allenson
Sunday, October 9th, 2005, 02:17 PM
The Red Maple (Acer Rubrum) is a remarkably versatile and adaptable tree and one of my personal favorites. It is found from the near-tropical climes of Florida and the Gulf Coast all the way up to cold mountainsides here in northern New England and on up into the even colder Gaspe penninsula to our north, in Quebec.

Botanists speak of it having several races (gasp!) throughout its range that have, over time, become quite adept at living in particular environments. In other words, a Red Maple in a shady, deep ravine here in VT is not quite the same thing as one growing mild, sunny Georgia, for example. Even here, we have different strains--we have the woodland ones that grow in upland forests and also what the old timers call "Swamp Maples" that grow in waterlogged wetlands--yet they are all the same Acer Rubrum. These wetland Red Maples are the first trees to turn color in the fall around here and their leaves often change from the summer green to a deep and brilliant red in a matter of a week or less....and this change occurs as early as late August and early September. Consequently, they are also the first to loss their leaves in fall, becoming bare and signaling the coming of winter.

We have some large, stately ones in our woods and I have had many a spiritual moment at their foot. I've also burned many-a-cord of Red Maple in the woodstove. ;)

While the Bradford Pear is also a nice tree and has lovely fall foliage, I cast my vote for the Red Maple.

Ewergrin
Sunday, October 9th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Time to update. Yesterday, after much deliberation, I decided to purchase a Red Maple. I am picking it up today. It was leading in the poll and I didn't want to wait another week to make a choice (I have to borrow my fathers truck to move it, and I wouldn't have had another oppurtunity to do so for another week.)

I am very glad that I made the choiced that I did. I can't wait to pick it up today. :D

Sigurd
Sunday, October 9th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I would have gone with the pear, but the maple would have been my second choice.
;)

Ewergrin
Monday, October 10th, 2005, 03:53 AM
The tree is home now. :)
I haven't had the oppurtunity to plant it yet, that will come tomorrow. I will take pictures and post them here. I also picked up a small Camellia as well.

Allenson
Monday, October 10th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Time to update. Yesterday, after much deliberation, I decided to purchase a Red Maple. I am picking it up today. It was leading in the poll and I didn't want to wait another week to make a choice (I have to borrow my fathers truck to move it, and I wouldn't have had another oppurtunity to do so for another week.)

I am very glad that I made the choiced that I did. I can't wait to pick it up today. :D

A fine choice! ;)

I think that you'll be pleased with this new addition.

I'm quite sure that the red-leaved trees on the left side of the road in my avatar are Red Maples.

Sigurd
Monday, October 10th, 2005, 10:52 PM
The tree is home now. :)
I haven't had the oppurtunity to plant it yet, that will come tomorrow. I will take pictures and post them here. I also picked up a small Camellia as well.

Can't wait o see those pics ;)

Mistress Klaus
Tuesday, October 11th, 2005, 02:36 PM

:) Before I actually scrolled down (or saw the picture)...I thought ..Go for the Maple!...
;) Good choice Folkish....
Though it was a hard choice...I probably would have been naughty & bought a least 2 of the choices...if not all 3....
We all need more land to plant!!!! ...I know I want more...I think I might just invade my neighbours yards (crap yards with nothing but weed lawn)...and plant trees...ha ha ha.......I have enough model German soldiers & war machines to take over...ha ha...if only they were of 1/1 scale...:D :D ......

Ewergrin
Tuesday, October 11th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Okay, so I finally took pictures of the Red Maple. It stands at about 10-11 feet high right now. I will be planting it today.

PsycholgclMishap
Tuesday, October 11th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Okay, so I finally took pictures of the Red Maple. It stands at about 10-11 feet high right now. I will be planting it today.
Oh, yes! That should look very nice when it grows!

Mistress Klaus
Tuesday, October 11th, 2005, 04:29 PM
:thumbsup :) Yes Folkish..definitely you are doing the right thing...This Maple will look awesome...It will beautify your property..and judging by the spanse of space of your front yard...it will grow into a splendid specimen.
Tree-growers make me happy!!! We need more like you my friend ;)

Siegfried
Tuesday, October 11th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Good choice :) We have an oak in our backyard which turns a very bright red in the fall, it's really beautiful.

Nice house, btw.

Ewergrin
Wednesday, October 12th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Thank you, Siegfried. :)

Well, the tree is planted now. I'll take new pics tomorrow once there is daylight. After planting, the tree stands 10 feet tall.

Vanir
Thursday, November 3rd, 2005, 06:16 AM
Very striking examples!

Simply on display merits, the Pear & Maple are beautiful....

Good decision in the end, hope your Maple has established itself without any problems, wait until it grows large enough for your children to clamber in :D

I have bought 2 advanced Banksia's (http://www.australianplants.com/images/banksia.giant.candles.jpg)recently, and an advanced "Silver Princess" (http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/science/timage/11823ic1.jpg) though the linked pics do neither justice. I shall take some pictures of them when I get my camera back from my brother.

Ewergrin
Thursday, November 3rd, 2005, 03:25 PM
Well, so far the tree isn't doing all that well. I think that the virtual drought that we have been experiancing has a lot to do with this, even though I water it regularly. The weather is getting colder, so normal growth for a tree this size is stunted a bit, but sure to pick up again in the spring. The leaves appear to be scorched a little, but is more likely just the result of the shock of being newly transplanted in the ground. That being said, it is progressing as well, with many new buds and leaves starting to sprout.

Vanir
Tuesday, November 8th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Well, so far the tree isn't doing all that well. I think that the virtual drought that we have been experiancing has a lot to do with this, even though I water it regularly. The weather is getting colder, so normal growth for a tree this size is stunted a bit, but sure to pick up again in the spring. The leaves appear to be scorched a little, but is more likely just the result of the shock of being newly transplanted in the ground. That being said, it is progressing as well, with many new buds and leaves starting to sprout.

Good stuff!

"thrive" is a product used to reduce stress in trees, I know that local government in your US of A use it when transplanting grown trees. They have a 100% success rate with it apparently. It is a secret combination of plant hormones I think...if you win the lottery perhaps lash out and get a bottle to try! (pricey)

If it is putting out growth though, it sounds like it is through the worst of it.

We had a really hot & humid spell here recently that has killed quite a few plants of mine that I am not particularly thrilled about, but "live and learn" as they say...

Dunkeld
Wednesday, December 17th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Take the Pear tree.

Plus you can make wine from Bradford Pears.

That is a very good argument. I have just voted for the Bradford Pear. :thumbup