PDA

View Full Version : The Slow Food Movement and Weston A. Price

Blutwölfin
Wednesday, September 21st, 2005, 10:40 PM
Slow Food is a reference to living an unhurried life, beginning at the table - and so the healthy opposite to Fast Food.

Whether standing at a BBQ or seated at an elegant restaurant, eating is fundamental to living. Elevating the quality of our food and taking time to enjoy it is a simple way to infuse our daily lives with joy. This is the philosophy of Slow Food.

Slow Food.com (http://www.slowfood.com/)

ladybright
Monday, December 11th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Thank you fot the link. I am not a member but do agree with them. Here are two books that I think you may like. Nurishing Traditions by Sally Fallon (member of the westin Price Foundation) the recipies are slow but not hard. Also Hope's Edge is a soicopolitical book with good recipes by Frances Moore Lappe and Ann Lappe. The section on france is particulary apt.

ladybright
Monday, December 11th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Slow Food is a non-profit, eco-gastronomic member-supported organization that was founded in 1989 to counteract fast food and fast life, the disappearance of local food traditions and people’s dwindling interest in the food they eat, where it comes from, how it tastes and how our food choices affect the rest of the world.
http://www.slowfood.com/

The Foundation is dedicated to restoring nutrient-dense foods to the human diet through education, research and activism. It supports a number of movements that contribute to this objective including accurate nutrition instruction, organic and biodynamic farming, pasture-feeding of livestock, community-supported farms, honest and informative labeling, prepared parenting and nurturing therapies. Specific goals include establishment of universal access to clean, certified raw milk and a ban on the use of soy formula for infants.
http://www.westonaprice.org/index.html

Slow Food is not europe specific but a worldwide movement that is doing good things and supporting traditional food and culture. I hope that they can be of use to you. The Westin A Price foundation does research and encouraces traditional foods. Eating locally grown or herloom and carefully prepared food is a political act as well as a healthy and tasty one.

I recomend reading Norishing Traditions by Sally Fallon which is full of good recipies and intersting research. Also there is Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser which explains what is going on in the food industry.

Gorm the Old
Tuesday, December 12th, 2006, 02:27 AM
And a commendable philosophy it is, Runa. Speed is the enemy of good cooking. I had some frozen "Italian style" vegetables with my dinner this evening, "nuked" in 5 minutes. They didn't taste as bad as canned vegetables; in fact, they hardly tasted at all. :O

With some of us, me, for example, time is less of a problem than storage space for fresh veggies . It's hard to buy really small quantities of fresh veggies at the supermarket. It can't be denied, however, that they are ever so much better.

Although I use my microwave oven often, almost daily, I have to say that I find microwaved foods less tasty than more slowly cooked foods. Maybe it takes time to bring out the full flavour. Strongly flavoured meats such as lamb or mutton and beef seem to taste bland when microwaved. Poultry and fish seem to take to fast cooking much better.

Anything I cook in my slow-cooker both smells and tastes so savoury that I can't wait to get at it. It reminds me of the pot roasts and stewed lamb of my childhood which simmered on the stove almost all day. It's not just nostalgia. It really did taste better. :D

klokkwerx
Tuesday, December 12th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Slow Food is a reference to living an unhurried life, beginning at the table - and so the healthy opposite to Fast Food.
The first step at doing this is to throw out your TV!

With some of us, me, for example, time is less of a problem than storage space for fresh veggies . It's hard to buy really small quantities of fresh veggies at the supermarket. It can't be denied, however, that they are ever so much better.
No problem there, I grew vegies on a sailboat for a few years! I used a greenhouse box the size of a large TV. Plants can grow in many shapes and directions, and sizes, it all up to you. When you grow your own then you know what you are getting.

saga
Friday, December 15th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Slow food is the only food for me. I never eat "fast" food. I am grateful for this, especially when I see how much e-coli and hepatitis are contracted through eating at fast food places. I don't want strangers preparing my food from strange places. I believe in locally grown produce, cooked by me. There are a couple of restaurants in my city devoted to locally grown/harvested foods, cooked s-l-o-w-l-y.