PDA

View Full Version : myFreedomHost.com

Alizon Device
Monday, September 5th, 2005, 03:09 PM
My new website "support team" (a fella called Eddie), has told me to:

"connect with an ftp client to your Domain name and upload your site in the folder called public_html and it will work..."

Does anyone know what an ftp client is? Is it some sort of software I have to buy?

Any advice appreciated!

Blutwölfin
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 04:38 PM
Try Leech FTP (http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~jdebis/leechftp/downloads.html), a freeware tool for FTP uploads and downloads. Very easy to handle.

Just install the .exe file, then run it. See the little lightning flash icon in the upper left corner? Click on it. A popup appears. At "Host or URL" you type your domain name, port should be preferably the "21", then enter your username and password, click on "personal login" and Leech connects with the server.

Still any problems?
Feel free to ask.

Alizon Device
Friday, September 23rd, 2005, 09:47 PM
You are a star, Blutwölfin!

I'll give it a go and let you know how I got on. :thumbsup ;)

Alizon Device
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 04:19 PM
I followed your instructions and I think it was successful.

On the right of my screen are several files, including "homepage".
On the left is something about "Queues" and downloads.

But how do I get text and pictures onto the homepage? Do I have to do it in a "Word" document? Do I have to be online to do it?

Also, why is it referring to downloads? I thought there would be an "upload" command, to upload a file from my computer onto the website? :runaway

It's like peeling the layers of an onion away, I work something out, and there's a load of new problems come to light!
But I promised myself I wouldn't cry...

Blutwölfin
Saturday, September 24th, 2005, 05:01 PM
But how do I get text and pictures onto the homepage?

On the right side should the contents of the server appear, in the middle the contents of your computer and on the left side there are the queues where you can see what you're uploading.

Do I have to be online to do it?

Yes, of course. You want to connect with a server, this only works while being online.

Also, why is it referring to downloads? I thought there would be an "upload" command, to upload a file from my computer onto the website? :runaway

Don't worry. :D And con't cry, of course. It's in fact really easy. Just do this:

Search for the files you want to upload to the server in the middle window (remember: there are your files and your computer contents). Click on it and just drag it to the right side (directly into the folder you want to upload it to or just somewhere inbetween all the files that you can already see on the right side. Or you create a folder - right click with mouse at the "sserver side" on the right).

At the top of the page appears the working flow and on the left side of the window there appears the file you upload. When it's gone there and you see something like "finished" or "upload complete" at the top, it's uploaded. With "F5" you can refresh the right side (the server) and have a look if the file you uploaded appears. If not, try again to upload it, there are sometimes a few connection problems for it's a freeware programme.