PDA

View Full Version : Pennine Waterways

Frans_Jozef
Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 08:13 PM
History and virtual tour-like descriptions of the canals in the Southern Pennines.

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/

Alizon Device
Tuesday, August 30th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I was brought up on the foothills of the West Pennine Moors in Lancashire, a grim, bleak, yet (in my opinion) forlornly beautiful area.
(I suppose we all look on where we spent our childhood and formative years with rose-tinted spectacles).
A place were untamed, uncultivatable, heath and moorland live in a Satanic partnership with the remnants of Britain's awesome and terrible Industrial Revolution: Soot encrusted, derelict mills shaded by copses straight out of Fairyland.
And picture-pretty towpath pubs on the banks of the stagnant, pongy canals... the arterial network of the Wheels of Industry that changed the way we as Europeans live for ever.

There's something about the North-West England canals that fills me with unease. They are a completely different species from the Midlands canals, let alone the Dutch canals.

Perhaps I'm forgetting the less enjoyable episodes of my schooldays; if you were offered a fight in the schoolyard, it would often be arranged for the canal path after school.
And the times my dad thought he'd treat me by taking me stickleback fishing on the Manchester Ship Canal, when all my mates were playing football on the Meadow back home.

I believe a visit to these canals would definitely be worth your while. I think they pulsate with Vibes.
But being the old, sentimental fool I am, who regrets the Industrial Revolution, the vibes for me are ones of the Machines' triumph over the Artist's soul.

Thanks for your post, Frans. (And no, I'm not being sarcastic!)