PDA

View Full Version : Is Alcoholism hereditary?

Mistress Klaus
Tuesday, April 12th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Why are certain people prone to drink ALOT...whilst others can take it or leave it?....In the genes...or a matter of social conditioning...

I tend to think it is in the blood.

Also....What about drug addictions?

Just a note....I am not a drug addict. Just a worshipper of Beer....he he.:-D

Vanir
Tuesday, April 12th, 2005, 05:01 PM
A bit of both in the end.
The old endocrinology axiom is "Hormones affect behaviour, but behaviour affects hormones"

to an extent, I think the neurochemical reward mechanisms of such people become damaged from alcohol/drugs, so that they can not feel the same (or perhaps, any) degree of satisfaction from day-to-day life.

I have a little theory that the brain's regulation of Dopamine can become seriously damaged very easily, and it does take exceptional strength to be able to step outside oneself, modulate self-behaviour accordingly, and (eventually) retrain neurotransmitter balances in the process.

I won't insist upon it however,

Baileys IS sublime afterall :D

My 2 cents,
Anders

Mistress Klaus
Tuesday, April 12th, 2005, 05:50 PM
A bit of both in the end.
The old endocrinology axiom is "Hormones affect behaviour, but behaviour affects hormones"

to an extent, I think the neurochemical reward mechanisms of such people become damaged from alcohol/drugs, so that they can not feel the same (or perhaps, any) degree of satisfaction from day-to-day life.

I have a little theory that the brain's regulation of Dopamine can become seriously damaged very easily, and it does take exceptional strength to be able to step outside oneself, modulate self-behaviour accordingly, and (eventually) retrain neurotransmitter balances in the process.

I won't insist upon it however,

Baileys IS sublime afterall :D

My 2 cents,
Anders
I already know that my intellect & brain cells have been eaten away by my abuse of alkohol over the years. I am getting dumber. (A fact!!)
I still can function quite well...though over time I know it will catch up with me.
My Russian blooded boyfriend (practically husband really) is prone to drink in quite ridiculous amounts....and I, of English/Scottish/Irish bloodline drinks till the kilts come home.
.....Yeah ...we are a couple of boozers when we get going. ...The reason I think it is in our blood. Russians & Scottish/Irish folk are noted for drinking....Handling it ...then going completely berserk & aggressive.:doh :-D

WarMaiden
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 05:20 AM
I come from a family where drug and alcohol abuse was rampant at one time, because of what i saw i do not Drink and i have NEVER done any type of drugs... I think you mimic what you see and what you where raised around, i just happen to have a strong will and have been able to stay away from both with no bother!

symmakhos
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Interesting question. I also drink much, and problematically, at times, but no relative or ancestor that I know of has ever had a problem. Depression runs in the family, however, and I think this defect is related to alcoholism. Probably a genetic predisposition is necessary, but environmental factors determine whether a potential for alcoholism is actually realised.

Blood_Axis
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Interesting question. I also drink much, and problematically, at times, but no relative or ancestor that I know of has ever had a problem. Depression runs in the family, however, and I think this defect is related to alcoholism. Probably a genetic predisposition is necessary, but environmental factors determine whether a potential for alcoholism is actually realised.Hey, your first post! ;)

I agree. Alcoholism is not hereditary per se , but factors or predispositions that may lead to alcoholism, such as depression, are.

Heredity goes hand in hand with mimicry as well: it is hard to tell whether a kid that has an alcoholic parent and becomes an alcoholic himself, is due to genetics or social training. It's usually a bit of both, as the two concepts are interwoven.

There must be biological predispositions as well , such as neurochemical imbalances, genetic disorders, and so on, which in combination with environmental influences may have destructive effects.

But it's hard to pinpoint the exact causes of alcoholism -it depends on the case and the person.

symmakhos
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Hey, your first post! ;)

Yup! :waving

Blood_Axis
Thursday, April 14th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Yup! :waving
Welcome, then. Nice to see you here too. ;) Skal!!* :D

*sorry I don't have swedish characters :D