PDA

View Full Version : Where Would You Want to Live and Why ?

Odin Biggles
Wednesday, February 9th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Try and liven things up a bit....

Where would you ideally live in a perfect world ?.

I think I would live in North Alberta, Canada in a log cabin in the wilderness with my Newfoundland dog and make sure a water source is close by so I can fish :).

Midtown Bootboy
Wednesday, February 9th, 2005, 03:56 PM
I would want to live in the Norwegian countryside....

Noard-Jeropeeske Nasjonalist
Wednesday, February 9th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Fryslân [Friesland; province in the Netherlands] or Ísland [Iceland], both great places with very little multiculturalism and such.

Siegfried
Wednesday, February 9th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I'm quite happy here in Noord-Brabant, the Netherlands.

Allenson
Wednesday, February 9th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I think I would live in North Alberta, Canada in a log cabin in the wilderness with my Newfoundland dog and make sure a water source is close by so I can fish :).

Maybe you should live in Newfoundland itself. ;) It's supposed to be very beautiful....albeit a bit depressed though.

http://www.gov.nf.ca/

The closest I've been to Newfie is Cape Breton Island which is a part of Nova Scotia, Canada. Some pics:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=cape+breton

Interestingly enough, it is by all accounts, I place that would consider living. Some of my ancestry came through near-by Prince Edward Island. Again, a place I would consider.

My forefolk lived at the very northerly point of the island on what is called Cape North or sometimes, North Cape. Here it is:

http://abacus.bates.edu/~gdudley/ncape.jpg

Now, there is a windfarm there.

Where else...? Well, certainly other places in Vermont, also northern New Hampshire, Maine, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, northern Wisconsin, Minnesota and surely western Washington and Oregon.

It's all a trend really. It has to be some north-temperate climate with a hearty winter, lots of conifers and some varied topography. Call it genetic memory. ;)

Here's home (or rather about 2 miles from my house):

http://www.terragalleria.com/america/north-east/vermont/picture.usvt6197.html

And the whole gallery:

http://www.terragalleria.com/america/north-east/vermont/vermont.2.html

Sifsvina
Thursday, February 10th, 2005, 12:13 AM
At this point almost anywhere but california!
"It has to be some north-temperate climate with a hearty winter, lots of conifers and some varied topography. Call it genetic memory."
I heartily agree! I grew up in Alaska so I know I don't want to be somewhere where the winters are that long and dreary. And I want to be somewhere where you can live off the land without being too highly specialized. We, my fiance and I, are thinking the pacific northwest or western PA. Somewhere that the land feels like a home that we can pass it on to our future children, away from this encroaching third world ghetto! Somewhere where the water runs over the stones between the green trees and moss...my blood aches for it.

Allenson
Thursday, February 10th, 2005, 01:26 AM
I heartily agree! I grew up in Alaska so I know I don't want to be somewhere where the winters are that long and dreary. And I want to be somewhere where you can live off the land without being too highly specialized. We, my fiance and I, are thinking the pacific northwest or western PA. Somewhere that the land feels like a home that we can pass it on to our future children, away from this encroaching third world ghetto! Somewhere where the water runs over the stones between the green trees and moss...my blood aches for it.

Sounds like a great plan to me, Sifsvina. Welcome by the way, to B&B. ;)

I've been around some in Washington and Oregon and found them to be pleasing places--especially west of the Cascades. The eastern side is a bit arid for my tastes but interesting nonetheless. I spent a week or so in Bend, Oregon on the east side and it's all 'high desert' and Ponderosa Pines....seems very fire-prone. West of the mountains though, the climate is very forgiving for small-scale agriculture and feeding oneself--plenty of moisture, long growing season, etc.

I don't know much about western PA but I suspect that there are some remote corners in which to duck away from the masses.

Sifsvina
Thursday, February 10th, 2005, 05:30 AM
[Welcome by the way, to B&B. ;)]
Thanks!

[I've been around some in Washington and Oregon and found them to be pleasing places]

Thanks for info.

[I don't know much about western PA but I suspect that there are some remote corners in which to duck away from the masses.]

It is actually quite rural, with plenty of unoccupied land. Lots of farms, about as much history as America can boast :rolleyes: , and one of the states projected to last be predomenantly occupied by "others". So says my fiance who grew up in and lived recently there. He really wants to move to Nova Scotia, I have vetoed that (where is the shivering smiley when you need it? ) but will comprimise and live somewhere with a decided winter. I don't like cold much but it's better than too much heat. I have come to the recent conclusion that it is natural for white people to live in the north and what is natural is more important than my own personal preferences. Not that I have to live in complete misery, but one has to have priorities.
Leaving this decaying country wouldn't be so bad but where would we go that is not already roting, encroaching on another culture, or an unatural (for us) land? Possibly western Canada. Ah, for a time machine.

Odin Biggles
Thursday, February 10th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Maybe you should live in Newfoundland itself. ;) It's supposed to be very beautiful....albeit a bit depressed though.

http://www.gov.nf.ca/

The closest I've been to Newfie is Cape Breton Island which is a part of Nova Scotia, Canada. Some pics:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=cape+breton

Interestingly enough, it is by all accounts, I place that would consider living. Some of my ancestry came through near-by Prince Edward Island. Again, a place I would consider.

My forefolk lived at the very northerly point of the island on what is called Cape North or sometimes, North Cape. Here it is:

http://abacus.bates.edu/~gdudley/ncape.jpg

Now, there is a windfarm there.

Where else...? Well, certainly other places in Vermont, also northern New Hampshire, Maine, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, northern Wisconsin, Minnesota and surely western Washington and Oregon.

It's all a trend really. It has to be some north-temperate climate with a hearty winter, lots of conifers and some varied topography. Call it genetic memory. ;)

Here's home (or rather about 2 miles from my house):

http://www.terragalleria.com/america/north-east/vermont/picture.usvt6197.html

And the whole gallery:

http://www.terragalleria.com/america/north-east/vermont/vermont.2.html

Excellent stuff thanks !.

I like the Rockies alot though, although from those pics those places wouldn't be a bad move :).

I have this book called "Scenic Wonders of Canada" in my front room which I read when I was 14 and it made a big impression on me, ever since Ive been mad on scenery, landscapes & nature.

Its not I don't like England anymore (far from it) its just a change is always good to refresh your life
:) .

Ewergrin
Thursday, February 10th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I don't have the time to properly reply, so I'll come back to this thread later tonight.

Off the top of my head:

Rural areas of the Pacific Northwest.
Very northern U.S. i.e. Montana, North/South Dakota, Minnesota

Parts of the New England areas call to me, like Dalonords home state of Vermont.

I live in the Southern U.S. and can honestly say that Tennesse is about the only worthwhile state in the former Confederate States.

As far as the old world goes, believe it or not, I woud choose rather not to live there, in the land that has forsaken some of it's sons and daughters based on the decisions of our forefathers.

WarMaiden
Thursday, February 10th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I'd move back to Ireland and the relocate from Dublin to County Meath, in a small cottage by Newgrange or the Hill of Tara!!

http://www.travelireland.org/meath/newgrange.jpg

And my second choice would be Kenmare, Co.Kerry!!

http://www.hidden-ireland.com/pictures/sallyport.jpg

reiver
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Olde Virginia Sir, Olde Virginia.I mean circa 1840.(However without the slavery and the Black folks tied to it)Full of lots of good healthy Proddie boys one generation form the Red Hand.
Why is it all the Irish RC :pope have it in for Jews? I prefer them over Palestinians.Alhtough i do not wish any harm,on them just a happy life far far from me.

Ewergrin
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Olde Virginia Sir, Olde Virginia.I mean circa 1840.(However without the slavery and the Black folks tied to it)Full of lots of good healthy Proddie boys one generation form the Red Hand.
Why is it all the Irish RC :pope have it in for Jews? I prefer them over Palestinians.Alhtough i do not wish any harm,on them just a happy life far far from me.

Personally, I'd prefer it if they both lived completely happy lives, killing each other, and staying out of my countries politics, far far away, until the end of time.

Allenson
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Personally, I'd prefer it if they both lived completely happy lives, killing each other, and staying out of my countries politics, far far away, until the end of time.

Sounds reasonable to me. ;)

Ewergrin
Thursday, May 12th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Sounds reasonable to me. ;)

Of course it does. You are of sound mind and reason. It is because of this that you will never have a chance of being elected for any public office in this fading republic.

Gorm the Old
Friday, May 13th, 2005, 03:23 AM
I can't think of any place where I would want to live the year around. So, Give me the Montana Rockies in the summer and St. Thomas, USVI in the winter.

Sigel
Friday, May 13th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Guilt mate. Their lot nailed da dude up - sorry it wasn't the Romans, it was the Jews - right? Had to be the Jews, otherwise RCs are responsible (heirs of Rome etc.).
That would never do to be sure. So it's kind of perpetual, ask the guys at Stirpes, they know their stuff :pope

anaktas
Friday, May 13th, 2005, 09:07 AM
My ideal place to live...
A wooden cottage in the middle of a vast pine forest, with a small lake close to it. No neigbours. No electricity. Hunting and fishing prospects.
If I lived in a place like that, it would surely add 10 extra years to my lifetime.

Blood_Axis
Friday, May 13th, 2005, 10:50 AM
If I lived in a place like that, it would surely add 10 extra years to my lifetime.
Wouldn't we all..? ;)

Ewergrin
Friday, May 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Wouldn't we all..? ;)

Not necessarily.
As much as I love this stage of my journey, death brings an entirely different journey. I'm not interested in prolonging one to delay another.

Gorm the Old
Friday, May 13th, 2005, 03:44 PM
The RC church conveniently ignores the fact that it was the Romans who crucified Yeshua ben Miriam. It has been claimed that Pilate yielded to the wishes of Caiaphas because he feared that he did not have enough soldiers to control a Jewish mob. It is known that he appealed to Rome for more troops. However, it was the Roman army which carried out the execution in typically Roman style. The RC church also ignores the fact that the Romans provided the church with many saints by feeding the Christians to the lions in the Flavian Amphitheatre and by burning them as living torches at their parties. Christianity was a religion of and for slaves. The Beatitudes extol those very virtues which make a good slave. Yet, when it became apparent that, despite all the persecution, this heretical sect of Judaism was becoming a power to be reckoned with, the Romans , following the often effective policy of "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." took over the Christian church and it became the Roman Catholic church. What colossal irony (and what chutzpah !)

Vanir
Wednesday, May 18th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Mars. Or Venus, but Mars is the more realistic prospect for terraforming.

I'd make it habitable, and live there in peace with a colony of likeminded racially similar Folk, far away from Hateful Strangers, and other ethnicities whom I shall refrain from naming....

Inter-planetary Folkwandering!

Sigel
Wednesday, May 18th, 2005, 02:22 PM
The RC church conveniently ignores the fact that it was the Romans who crucified Yeshua ben Miriam. It has been claimed that Pilate yielded to the wishes of Caiaphas because he feared that he did not have enough soldiers to control a Jewish mob. It is known that he appealed to Rome for more troops. However, it was the Roman army which carried out the execution in typically Roman style. The RC church also ignores the fact that the Romans provided the church with many saints by feeding the Christians to the lions in the Flavian Amphitheatre and by burning them as living torches at their parties. Christianity was a religion of and for slaves. The Beatitudes extol those very virtues which make a good slave. Yet, when it became apparent that, despite all the persecution, this heretical sect of Judaism was becoming a power to be reckoned with, the Romans , following the often effective policy of "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." took over the Christian church and it became the Roman Catholic church. What colossal irony (and what chutzpah !)
Exactly! :pope

Notice how it was more or less down hill for them after that though!