PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tancredo hits Bush on immigration

Mac Seafraidh
Thursday, November 25th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Tancredo and Immigration Reform Score Huge Win on Rivalry Weekend

WASHINGTON, D.C.—Congressman Tom Tancredo (CO-06) and the House of Representatives as a body sent a strong message to their Senate colleagues by choosing not to approve the intelligence reform bill (H.R. 10), because it lacked crucial immigration reform measures recommended by the 9/11 Commission.

“We sent a message to the Senate today that this Republican Congress is not willing to pass a bill that is just an empty shell,” said Tancredo, Chairman of the House Immigration Reform Caucus. “The Republican Conference in the House made a collective decision not to approve a hollowed out 9/11 bill just to get a bumper sticker slogan or a good sound bite.”

Tancredo made the statements after successfully executing a parliamentary maneuver to temporarily prevent the House of Representatives from rubber-stamping a stripped down conference report on HR 10, legislation originally designed to implement the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission. Tancredo used a little-known GOP conference rule to force House leadership to hold a meeting with all House Republicans to explain why key immigration provisions were stripped from the bill late last night by Conferees on the bill over the objection of conservatives.

After the Conference, the House Republicans collectively made a decision not to approve a weak bill.

“The American people want security, and they know it can never be achieved until we can secure our borders,” concluded Tancredo. “Rushing through a 9/11 bill that doesn’t address border security would have been a disservice to the families of 9/11 victims and to the American people—and I’m proud that my colleagues recognized this today.”

http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2004/11/tancredo_and_im.php

Mac Seafraidh
Friday, December 10th, 2004, 12:45 AM
In House, a band of new rebels

Republicans who are standing up to Bush range from conservatives to moderates.

By Gail Russell Chaddock | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

WASHINGTON – After dubbing President Bush's "open door" border policy a threat to national security, Rep. Tom Tancredo says, he got a call from Bush aide Karl Rove proposing that he never again "darken the doorstep of the White House." He's glad that the non-invite apparently didn't extend to the annual congressional Christmas party.
"It means a lot to my wife," quips the third-term Colorado Republican, who attended the White House event Monday.

11/19/04

GOP's bolder reign on Hill

There's no question that a public rift with a Republican president is a tough career move for any aspiring GOP lawmaker. But for Mr. Tancredo, who came to the House after running a libertarian think tank in Golden, Colo., standing up for ideas is what politics is about - and for him, no policy is more vital than controlling borders and ending the "cult of multiculturalism" that sees the US as "groups of victimized classes."

This week, he joined 66 other House Republicans who voted against intelligence reforms over the issue of border-security. They didn't prevail, but their opposition slowed action on the measure and showed that some GOP lawmakers are ready to wield a new level of assertiveness in Bush's second term.

That doesn't mean the president faces an open revolt from within his party, but there is a new restiveness in Republican ranks on issues ranging from Social Security reform to national defense and the budget deficit. The new voices aren't the biggest names in the party. Some haven't been around long enough to bang a gavel. And party isn't their first loyalty.

"I'll never have any institutional power," Tancredo says. "I'll never be given a chairmanship. The only two things I have are my voice and my vote, and I have to use them as effectively as I can."

Before the Nov. 2 election, some would-be naysayers downplayed rifts with the White House, largely because they didn't want to see a Democrat naming Supreme Court Justices. Now, with President Bush heading into a second term, they're drawing lines in the sand for the 109th Congress, in which the GOP will enjoy a 29-seat House margin.

Take Rep. Mike Pence. The two-term Indiana lawmaker shot to celebrity among conservative activists after standing up to pressure from the White House and GOP House leaders during an epic 2003 Medicare vote that stretched out to nearly three, bone-crunching hours. More than 70 conservatives signed a petition against the bill. In the end only 25, including Pence, voted to defeat it.

"He is one of those people who is respected because he will always vote his principles, as irritating as that may be to some of the Republican leadership in the House," says Richard Lessner, executive director of the American Conservative Union, which invited Pence to be the keynote speaker that winter.

A talk radio host before coming to Congress, Pence resists pressure with conspicuous grace. "He is animated by, informed by, and motivated by his religious faith and his conservatism," says attorney Greg Garrison, who took over Pence's show when he moved to Washington.

After only four years on Capitol Hill, the Indiana lawmaker was just elected to chair the influential Republican Study Committee. With about 100 members (complete headcounts are never released), the RSC is "the majority of the majority," Pence says, citing Speaker Dennis Hastert's formula that most Republicans must support a bill before it can move to the floor. He expects to have a say in what moves in the new Congress, and is signaling that Bush cannot count on a rubber stamp from House conservatives.

"House conservatives must rally support in Congress and the country for President Bush's agenda where it conforms to the ideals of limited government," he wrote last month. But they must also "undo" much of the 2001 campaign finance reform act, roll back the entitlement elements of the Medicare prescription-drug law, and reverse the federal role in education advanced in the No Child Left Behind Act, the president's signature domestic program, he urged. Unlike previous RSC chairs, Pence resigned his party role as deputy whip to avoid "serving two masters."

Rep. Jeff Flake (R) of Arizona is another potential breakaway - on the issue of fiscal policy. Formerly with a think tank and lobbying group, Mr. Flake in his two terms has voted against a bigger federal role in education, the creation of a Homeland Security Department, farm subsidies, and most annual appropriations bills. Recently, he has attacked pork projects so relentlessly that GOP Rep. John Peterson summoned groundhog celebrity Punxsutawney Phil to Capitol Hill this week to defend his $100,000 earmark for a weather museum in Punxsutawney, Pa. - and invited Flake to attend. (He did.) The earmark was one of $25 billion in pork spending in the $322 billion omnibus spending measure signed by Bush this week.

GOP moderates, who played a big role reining in the Bush agenda on tax cuts and energy policy in the Senate, are also gearing up for a more vigorous role in the 109th Congress. The Republican Main Street Partnership counts 12 senators and at least 50 House members. They are planning a push to support fiscal restraint and stem-cell research that could put them at odds with Bush.

Rep. Mark Kirk (R) of Illinois, a cochair of the moderate Tuesday Group, says "The agenda I have is to reorient the work of the Congress to more accurately reflect the problems facing people in the suburbs." He also plans to push Republicans to get back to their Teddy Roosevelt roots in the environmental movement. As a student in Britain, he worked as an aide in the House of Commons and saw "Soviet-style" party loyalty up close. "The overwhelming loyalty of a member of Congress should be not to a party platform but to their state and the people in it," says the former Navy intelligence officer, still active as a reservist.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1210/p03s01-uspo.html

Mac Seafraidh
Friday, February 4th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Tancredo hits Bush on immigration

By GARRY RAYNO

Union Leader Staff

U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado wants to hold Presidential candidates' feet to the fire to help stop illegal immigration and secure the country's borders.

"This is an issue I want all the Presidential candidates to debate. I want the candidates when they come here to answer the questions, 'What are you going to do about the borders? Will you commit troops to the border?' " Tancredo, a Republican, said in an interview with The Union Leader.

Illegal immigration and securing the country's borders affect every aspect of American life, including jobs, health care, education and national security, he said.

"The issue is where do you get cheaper workers. Cheap is only that to employers, not to the American taxpayers," he said.

Tancredo came to New Hampshire on a two-day trip to raise the issue of immigration reform together with Angela "Bay" Buchanan, chairman of Team America, a political action committee focusing on immigration reform. Tancredo is the founding chairman of the organization.

Their first stop was to present an American Patriot Award to New Ipswich Police Chief Garrett Chamberlain; he detained nine Ecuadorian immigrants last summer, but federal officials told him to release them.

Tancredo will also speak on several radio programs, including the "Howie Carr Show" on WRKO radio today at 5 p.m. He will meet with Republican state representatives and conservative activists, and he will speak at Nashua Christian High School.

Yesterday, Tancredo was critical of the Bush administration's position to allow illegal immigrants already in the United States to remain here under a "guest worker" program. "He says he is against amnesty, and then in the next sentence he defines amnesty. That's Clintonesque, and it really bugs me," he said.

Tancredo said Bush is proposing amnesty and will encourage billions more people to cross the border illegally and tell everyone who entered legally they are suckers.

Congress last year authorized doubling the number of border control offices, but former Department of Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge refused to spend the money, he said. "If something (like the terrorist attacks of 9/11) happens, you tell me someone shouldn't be liable with the attitude of this administration," Tancredo said.

He said he will introduce a bill this session to double the number of border patrol officers and train them to use technology for better surveillance of the borders. He estimated it would cost about $8 million to double the border patrol and several billion dollars for the technology.

Until the number of patrol officers is doubled, Tancredo said, he would have the military help watch the borders. "We could seal the borders, but we choose not to" because of political pressure, he said.

He said he is finding more and more converts to his way of thinking.

"If this were not an issue for John Q. Public, it would not be an issue in Congress," he said.

Tancredo, in his fourth term in the U.S. House, serves on the House International Relations and Resources Committee and on the Budget Committee. He is chairman of the House Immigration Reform Caucus. Tancredo was a school teacher before serving in the Colorado Legislature and then in the U.S. Department of Education during the administrations of Ronald Reagan and the senior George Bush. He was also head of the Independence Institute, a libertarian-leaning think tank in Golden, Colo.

http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showfast.html?article=50432 (http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showfast.html?article=50432)

Mac Seafraidh
Monday, February 14th, 2005, 05:45 PM
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-gop/1271107/posts

Mac Seafraidh
Thursday, August 4th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Tancredo: Justice differs for immigrants

http://www.bradenton.com/images/common/spacer.gif
Associated Press
http://www.bradenton.com/images/common/spacer.gif

HANAHAN, S.C. - Republican Rep. Tom Tancredo told law enforcement officers that illegal immigrants are held to lower standards by the justice system than Americans.

"An illegal alien actually has a different system of justice here," he said Tuesday in a speech to about 30 officers. "If you're here illegally, you can get a pass."

Tancredo, from Colorado, has come under fire recently from some Hispanic groups for his calls for tougher immigration enforcement and a proposal to tax some of the money immigrants send outside U.S. borders.

Hispanic and Islamic groups called for his resignation in a Denver protest recently, citing Tancredo's suggestion to target Islamic holy sites if terrorists launch a nuclear attack on the United States.

In his speech, he urged the police officers to force political candidates from either party to clearly state positions on immigration laws.

Tancredo's stance on immigration has put him at loggerheads with the Bush administration and its support of an amnesty for undocumented immigrants from Mexico. Tancredo calls amnesty "a rotten idea" that would turn the flow of illegal immigrants into a "tidal wave."

"I support him in many ways," Tancredo said of the president. "On this, I think he is wrong."

Tancredo says he has no presidential aspirations of his own.

"I'm too short, I'm too fat, I'm too bald to be the president of the United States," he said.

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/breaking_news/12293671.htm

Thusnelda
Wednesday, August 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Hello,

I wonder what US-Althing-members think about one of the republican candidates for President, Tom Tancredo? He seems to be very conservative and anti-immigration. But only recently he said that the US should nuke Mekka and Medina, the centers of the Islam religion, if Islamists attack the USA again...

http://www.teamtancredo.com/

And

http://rightsfield.com/2007/08/01/tancredo-id-nuke-mecca/

And one other question: Does Pat Buchanan run for president again in 2008? He is more paleo-conservative than neo-conservative, what I prefer far more, honestly.

Outdoorsman
Thursday, August 9th, 2007, 01:34 AM
I had the occasion to meet Pat Buchanan once at a fund raiser (in 1999). He's a decent man, I think, but I don't think Buchanan is president material. I think his last campaign was mismanaged, and I'm still not sure if it was a Trojan horse campaign to destroy the Reform Party. I saw some strange stuff... Prior to Buchanan jumping ship to the Reform Party, it was making a lot of gains. Afterwards, the Reform Party was so splintered and ineffective that today, 7 years later, it is basically a shadow of what it used to be. He went back to the Republican party afterwards, so he only used the Reform Party. He is best as a pundit, not as a presidential candidate, in my opinion.

I do not know as much about Tancredo. He is very conservative, but like Buchanan, suffers from over-emphasizing Christianity. What I mean is that I think a president should not try to put a heavy veneer of Christianity over their policies, because many of their polices are good regardless of Christianity. Policies should stand on their own merits, not on the basis of some "biblical foundation".

I read a journal that is edited by Buchanan and I think Buchanan is preparing to endorse Ron Paul, but I think he has his "finger in the wind" about that. His journal (http://www.amconmag.com/) has run some pro-Paul pieces already, but no endorsement yet.

I am not convinced these two men would keep to the principle of "Separation of Church and State".

I'm more comfortable with Ron Paul over these two men. If they were the only "pro-American" choice, I would probably accept Trancredo or Buchanan in office over some anti-American pre-vetted candidate.

My ideal presidential candidate would be similar to or be better than the Founding Fathers, like Thomas Jefferson. Ron Paul is closest to that model and his hat is in the current line-up.

Edit: To comment on Tancredo's statement about nuking Mecca - I agree with Americ, that is very irresponsible and I would not accept that kind of attitude from a President.

Æmeric
Thursday, August 9th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Tancredo is oppose to illegal immigration & wants restricitons on legal immigration. I not sure what his views on other issues are. It seems that persons who might support Tancredo are going over to Paul. And there has never been a President who was a "White ethnic" like Tancredo who is Italian-American. As for his remarks about Mecca & Medina, it is irresponsible for someone who wants to be president to say they would bomb Mecca. Or like Obama, say they would invade Pakistan.

I personally will vote for Paul in the primaries. Not that I think it will do any good.

Mac Seafraidh
Tuesday, August 21st, 2007, 06:24 PM
Personally, I dislike Tom Tancredo's style of politics. His immigration plan is not going to work because he will not step up to Israel who watches the American borders. This is the company employed to help watch the borders ---> http://www.elbitsystems.com/ (http://forums.skadi.net/redirector.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.elbi tsystems.com%2F)

Recently, he attended a NAACP meeting telling blacks that illegal immigration is affecting them. Yes, it is and all American citizens, but Tancredo broke a rule off of his own political agenda of the abolishment of race based caucuses.

He really does not differ too much from the Bush administration as far as the war goes. We would be in further debt because America putting all its earned cash into Israeli hands.

I do not think I am even going to vote in this election, because every candidate stands for an American platform. The two party system must go, a new nation must be created.

SineNomine
Tuesday, August 21st, 2007, 06:36 PM
Tancredo is a one-issue guy. And he failed to perform well even on this one issue! Ron Paul has advanced far better defences of his positions so far, so I think he will probably win over most of Tancredo's support.

SwordOfTheVistula
Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007, 04:07 AM
I like Tancredo, but Ron Paul is almost as good on this issue, and Paul has caught on fire rather than Tancredo or Hunter, and also Ron Paul is good on other issues, so I am throwing my support behind Ron Paul this election.

NorthernDawn
Saturday, August 25th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Tancredo is a one-issue guy. And he failed to perform well even on this one issue! Ron Paul has advanced far better defences of his positions so far, so I think he will probably win over most of Tancredo's support.

I couldn't agree more!

Dr. Solar Wolff
Sunday, August 26th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Tancredo is good on immigration but he wants to go on with "the war on terror" and he is an evolution denier. In other words, he is just another pro-Zionist, religious wacko who happens to be on the right side of immigration. Ron Paul is light years better.