PDA

View Full Version : The best elite unit!

leonidas
Saturday, January 22nd, 2005, 06:38 PM
What is the best elite unit worldwide please vote!

leonidas
Saturday, January 22nd, 2005, 06:50 PM
I vote French Foreign Legion !Very hard training,comradeship,profesionalism,trad ition.Especialy the 2nd REP!

Vanir
Monday, January 24th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't even really classify the French Foreign Legion as a Special Forces unit.

Some of the choices in the list are, erm, of debatable professionalism. At best.

"The Best" depends upon your application also.
The British SAS in years gone by were the most proven & professional IMO, tested in combat situations, seeming to thrive in the fog of war without any problems.

Today, if I were leading an offensive campaign I could not look past the US Army's Delta Force. An Attack Special Forces unit recruited from the Green Berets and Rangers. A "SUPER" Special Forces unit!

Navy Seals would be my choice if a rapid reaction was required in peace-time, they can be inserted anywhere, anytime, anyhow, and do any job.

The Australian SAS are not on the list, and they are one of the hardest, most professional units on the planet. Even 4RAR Commando is highly professional, and they are only reservist!

my 2cents,
Anders

Thobjorn
Tuesday, August 9th, 2005, 02:18 AM
just to make sure everyone understands, the delta force is indeed a "super group" in that they pick from the green beret's, and rangers, BUT, they train in counterterror operations only... if you wanted to fight a war, you would want the green beret's who train in fighting guerrilla war, and training foreign combatants to fight for US interests. if you wanted to raid a building, you would want delta force. the seals are similar to delta, in that they train for a select number of circumstances that are outside outright warfare...small raids, various naval circumstances, counterterror, etc. a big advantage to the seals, is that the dude who runs it is a self professed bigot, and keeps the seal's white. i would choose the navy seals, or the australian SAS(which are indeed hardcore) for adaptability, and relative racial cleanliness.

Theobald
Friday, August 12th, 2005, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't even really classify the French Foreign Legion as a Special Forces unit.

Indeed. The French Foreign Legion as a whole is definitely not a Special Forces unit; however it includes a Special Forces unit, the "2er Régiment Etranger de Parachutistes" (2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment), that is one of the French military's best quick reaction units. Each of its combat companies specializes in a different type of combat (anti-tank, urban, and night combat; amphibious operations; snipers; mountain warfare, ...).

Though I would rather have chosen the "1er RPIMa" (1st Marine Parachute Infantry Regiment), the French Army's primary special operations unit, and the French equivalent to the US Army's Special Forces or British SAS. They have been deployed to Indochina War, Algerian War, Kosovo, Bosnia and almost every former French colony in Africa; and this unit is a "descendant" of the French SAS units set up in France during WWII to help the British SAS.

More informations about the 1er RPIMa (in English) (http://www.specwarnet.com/europe/rpima.htm) or in French : 1 (http://www.troupesdemarine.org/actuel/unites/1rpima.htm), 2 (http://home.nordnet.fr/~dtanghe/1e_RPIMa.htm), 3 (http://le.cos.free.fr/1rpima.htm)

RedJack
Tuesday, August 23rd, 2005, 08:12 PM
The SAS is still the premier special forces unit in the world! :thumbsup

doberman
Monday, June 19th, 2006, 04:00 PM
American forces of today are for the most part pretty worthless. They kill each other more than the enemy. If they're not crashing copters they're shooting each other. I know and work with some of these guys, I wouldn't trust them with cutting my lawn.

Eisenmann
Monday, June 19th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Now, where'd the Waffen-SS go? And the Praetorian Guard?
or is this 'bout present-day elite units only?

ikki
Monday, June 19th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Or companions and silver shields? ;)
Not to mention the endless mongol tumen.. riding across eurasia and conquering all

RedJack
Tuesday, June 20th, 2006, 07:49 PM
The Anglo-Saxon huscarles belong on the list, as well. :D

PzKpfwVI Ausf.E TigerI
Thursday, August 24th, 2006, 10:43 AM
German KSK is the Best but Spetznas aren't bad too...

arthor
Friday, June 13th, 2008, 10:24 AM
cyfarchion

I like discussions like this but have not voted as the parameters weren't clear. As has already been mentioned, it depends upon what needs doing. Small jobs are all that is within the remit of what would be referred to as "Special Forces" and I think the SAS/SBS would take some beating. If you need to put a brigade sized unit in anywhere then we move away from "special" down to elite or crack if you want to call it that. We are then talking big budget countries but I would include British airbourne troops, Spetznaz for sure if they are still top notch (sheer numbers alone at the height of the Cold War we are talking about a brigade for every Soviet Army and Fleet). Not sure about the US 82nd and 101st but they are big enough. USMC recon. Tank units??? if we are getting bigger?? Who knows. What about the German Stormtroopers in the Kaiserschlact in 1918. The best army on the Western Front 1914-1918 was the British with several units regarded as 'crack' 2 RWF for one. Aggressive patrolling. Not adopting a live and let live attitude. To remain 'up for it' under those static conditions surely shows a massive degree of professionalism and discipline.

I think I might start a thread about favourite generals if one hasn't been started already

wasshael

Maccuswæl
Tuesday, June 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Not sure about the US 82nd and 101st but they are big enough.

As a former Screaming Eagle I have to say something. I'd say that the U.S. 18th Airborne Corps is special, but not what I would consider "special forces". Certain elements fall into this category, like the 101st LRSD Rangers for instance, but as a whole not nearly on the level of training intensity and specialization as units like the U.S. Rangers or the Navy SEALs.

The function of an Airborne unit is to move behind enemy lines and wreck shit, and on as short of notice as possible. While this is impressive and useful, it is still the job of regular Joes. Which is no small thing, because the U.S. Army combat arms regular active units that I have had the pleasure of working with or knowing have all been highly motivated, dedicated professionals. It's just that in my mind "special forces" involves much more specific tasks trained to at a higher intensity. For instance: we practiced first aid with old field dressings; Rangers have been known to use high tech "bleeder dummies" and the like; Special Forces shoot goats and actually try to stop a real wound. Marked difference in the level of "specialness" of the forces.

SmokyGod
Tuesday, June 17th, 2008, 05:22 PM
no Rhodesian Light Infantry?

Odin Statt Jesus
Sunday, June 22nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
American forces of today are for the most part pretty worthless. They kill each other more than the enemy. If they're not crashing copters they're shooting each other. I know and work with some of these guys, I wouldn't trust them with cutting my lawn.What a ridiculous quote.