PDA

View Full Version : Germanic Spirituality

Frans_Jozef
Tuesday, December 28th, 2004, 02:01 AM
By Bill Linzie

Germanic heathenry is under fire from within. Although it is a growing religion, most converts are coming from other religion, and with them, usually unknowingly, they are bringing with them baggage from their former religions which becomes entangled into Germanic cosmology which is eroding that cosmology until it is indistinguishable from any of the hundreds of generic New Age "mixed bags" pre-packaged and readily available at local bookstores.

First this article looks at significant changes which have been accepted, at least partially, into Germanic cosmology, proposes guidelines for investigating the Germanic worldview, and then seeks to put these alterations into a proper perspective as foreignisms which are, in essence, removable. This article then opts to look at the genesis of some of accumulated baggage, identify and label it, and set much of it into perspective so that the modern heathen can choose whether to incorporate some of the superfluous borrowings into local kindred gatherings being fully knowledgeable of where the concepts came from.

Lastly, this article looks at Germanic spirituality as being independent of these borrowings and worth pursuing without any need of support from other world class religions.

BlondAvenger
Wednesday, December 29th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Great post.Thanks for that Frans.

brian
Tuesday, September 19th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Well, it seems like I am dragging up and old thread here ...

I recently found this on the Northvegr site. It was an enjoyable read in that it presupposes many things that make sense to me:

- "Spirituality" is not about religious experiences, but about the family and the community.
- Asatru does not need to have pomp and ceremony.
- "Individualism" then was not individualism now. The basic unit of society was the family, not the individual.
- Embracing the worldview means scraping many of the trapping of modern society, some influenced by christian thought, some influenced by what has occurred in the past 50 years.
- Reconstruction of the old ways is an attempt to revive the rootedness in one's ancestral and cultural heritage, not some new age mystical fantasy land, as the article says, has influenced current reconstruction movements.
- An encouragement to understand and live in the worldview of our forefathers, though "politically incorrect" will reflect accurately our ancestral heritage (as well as being good in itself.)

There were two bits I didn't like about it:

- An excess attack on Americans. Any group that uses a cultural tradition for their own individual gain are immoral people. But, the particular attention on what Americans do is bothersome.

- The author insists that reconstruction should be a reflection on rootedness and the revival of a specifically Germanic tradition. He speaks about being wary of outsiders, and that our interests should be on developing on strong communities that is specifically Germanic in worldview. But, he then suggests that folkishness is somehow "white supremacist" and that people with folkish tendencies are using Asatru to boost their "preconceived" notions on race, with the sense that this is fantasy thinking, and not based on reality, noting that our forefathers already mixed with other "races and cultures". Whether they did or didn't, is not the concern. Folkishness is about respecting rootedness; and seeing a certain people who has a tie to some specific heritage, a right to the key to their roots. Is this supremacy? I sort of crashed after reading this, because it felt like that all the good sensible things that were being said are being contradicted.

Other than those annoying points, I liked the intent of this article. But, since I am learning, is there anything else wrong with the article, if anyone decides to read it and point out flaws?

Sigurd
Friday, October 6th, 2006, 12:56 AM
One final thing to say about Northvegr. Yes, it's been said thousands of times before, but it is still equally valid:

A few years back the people behind Northvegr were outlawed from the Heathen community by the Lögretta for slander and libel. Thus, whilst a lot of the information on the page is of value; please, in Ţunar's name, do NOT do business with the people behind it.

Just can't remind people oft enough. ;)

Hrodnand
Wednesday, May 12th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Germanic Spirituality by Bill Linzie

Excellent study. Recommended!

Heathen_son
Thursday, May 20th, 2010, 08:35 PM
He has other articles too...

http://www.angelfire.com/nm/seidhman/