PDA

View Full Version : Raising Live Insect from a Live Insect Kit?

Ewergrin
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Has anyone ever raised live insects from a live insect kit?
My son received a live Painted Lady Butterfly kit for his sixth birthday a few weeks ago.
We sent off for the free live caterpillars and they arrived last week.
The gestation period lasts for about three weeks and they will become beautiful Painted Lady butterflies. We have had them less than a week, if I recall, and they have grown at least 25 times in size since their arrival.

They are starting to migrate towards the cop of the container. Once they reach it, they will hang down and form into chrysalides. It is during this period that they will form into Painted Lady butterflies.

I took pictures, but unfortunately I am no expert, and cannot figure out how do adjust the lighting so that the best pictures possible could be taken.

I will update this thread with their progress.

Ewergrin
Sunday, November 28th, 2004, 02:07 AM
The kit we have can be purchased through http://www.insectlore.com

Ewergrin
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Update:

Our cat accidently knocked over our little caterpillar habitat jar. The web of silk they had been working on collapsed. Ever since then, they have been acting rather oddly. At times they seem to fight each other. I have not witnessed them do this before. Perhaps this behaviour is normal, seeing as they very close to migrating to the top of the container and forming chrysalides.

WarMaiden
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Yikes i have no idea what to tell you, maybe you should email the people for the www you posted... When they hatch what are you supposed to then do with them? Set them free?

Strange Strange Strange

Ewergrin
Monday, November 29th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Yikes i have no idea what to tell you, maybe you should email the people for the www you posted... When they hatch what are you supposed to then do with them? Set them free?

Strange Strange Strange

Well, there is a larger container that one puts them in. Once they form into chrysalides, I have to put them inside of this larger "Butterfly Garden" until they emerge from their cocoons. They can live in the butterfly garden for a few weeks (that is their lifespan.) During this time, they can lay eggs, and we can start this process over again. They appear to eb acting perfectly normal now. Actually, they are busier than ever. Building silk webs to the top of the container, where they will form into chrysalides.

Ewergrin
Tuesday, November 30th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Update:

They have crawled to the top, and three of them are well on their way to becoming chrysalides. The fourth, and largest one, was still crawling around the jar earlier, but has since noted his companions migration to the top of the jar, and has followed suit. At present time, he has not begun the transformation, but it just sitting there while his kin are in deep sleep (do they sleep during this?)

The existing chrysalides are shaking wildly. A method they use to ward of predators.

Ewergrin
Saturday, December 4th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Update:

All chrysalides have formed and hardened.
I moved them into the Butterfly Garden this morning. In the next day or two, the butterflies should start emerging from their homes.

WarMaiden
Monday, December 6th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Excellent, keep us updated... My friend just had Butterflies hatch, i must ask if it was one of those kits also!!

Ewergrin
Tuesday, December 7th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Still no butterflies yet. :shrug

Ewergrin
Wednesday, December 8th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Well, in a span of about 15 minutes apart, two of the chrysalides "hatched" and out came butterflies!

Two more to go, and I will post pictures later. :)

PsycholgclMishap
Wednesday, December 8th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Neat! :)

How are the kids reacting to the transformation?

Ewergrin
Wednesday, December 8th, 2004, 08:04 PM
The kids are in school right now, so they don't know that it has happened. They will be very excited whent hey get home this evening.

WarMaiden
Thursday, December 9th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Well, in a span of about 15 minutes apart, two of the chrysalides "hatched" and out came butterflies!

Two more to go, and I will post pictures later. :)

Awesome, my friend sent me pictures also of her hatched butterflies, i look forward to the pictures ~

Ewergrin
Thursday, December 9th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Butterfly #3 is slowly emerging from his chrysalide as I type this!

Ewergrin
Saturday, December 11th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Well, only three of the butterflies survived the transformation. :(

The good news, is that right now, as I type this, two of the butterflies are copulating. :naughty