PDA

View Full Version : Guanches of the Canary Islands

Telperion
Saturday, April 17th, 2004, 11:10 PM
I'm curious to hear people's ideas or speculation about the origins and racial type and sub-type of the Guanches of the Canary Islands.

To clarify who I'm talking about, here is a brief note about these people:

"The primitive populations of the Canary Islands were the Guanches, a white race, vigorous, of high stature, fair-haired and blue-eyed, and leading mostly a pastoral life. At the time of their conquest by the Europeans they used weapons and utensils of wood and stone, were clothed in skins of animals, and lived in the numerous natural grottos. Their ornaments were of bone, sea-shells, and baked clay. They were hospitable and deeply attached to their independence. Each island was divided into separate states, ruled over by kings, who were assisted by the chiefs of the noble families and the most esteemed priests or soothsayers. They held their meetings in the open air in places specially intended for this purpose. They were monotheists and made offerings of domestic animals, milk, and fruit to the Supreme Being. At some early date Old World peoples from Africa and Asia reached these islands and founded there permanent colonies, blending with the aboriginal stock. Their invasions are attested by archaeological remains and inscriptions; certain Numidian inscriptions on the rocks of Gran Canaria and Hierro are similar to those discovered in Africa. An Aragonese fleet explored the islands in 1330. Another Castilian coasting expedition, sent forth by merchants of Seville and Biscay, disembarked, in 1385, in Lanzarote and vanquished the aborigines, but did not found any lasting settlement. This was not accomplished until the expedition of Jean de Béthencourt, a French nobleman, who in virtue of a mission confided to him by the King of Castile, Henry III, conquered, from 1402 to 1405, the islands of Lanzarote, Fuerteventura, Gomera, and Hierro. The conquest of Gran Canaria, Palma, and Tenerife was effected during the reign of the Catholic sovereigns, from 1478 to 1495, by Diego Garcia de Herrera, Pedro de Vera, and Alonso Fernandez de Lugo, but not without heroic resistance on the part of the Guanches."
(Source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03243a.htm )

(I used the website in question because it was one of the few condensed descriptions of the Guanches I could find that didn't try to use them as proof of Atlantis...)

Anyway, does anyone care to share their speculation or views about the origins of these people?

Nordhammer
Sunday, April 18th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Just another case of Meds defiling and ruining a distinct population forever.

At the time of the Spanish conquest, the islands contained a varied population of different physical types, stratified in social classes. There was definitely a tall, blond element, which lived by its flocks for the most part, and which seems to have been socially superior; a darker, more Mediterranean element which was more agricultural. Gran Canaria and Teneriffe were the centers of blondism, while of the two outlying islands, Hierro was prevailingly brunet, and Palma partly blond. The coastal islands of Lanzarote and Fuertaventura contained almost exclusively a tall, brunet population. The Guanches were described by the Spaniards as being frequently of giant size, and it is apparent from the difficulties of the Spaniards that they were redoubtable fighters.

After the Spaniards had conquered the Guanches and converted the survivors, they proceeded to intermarry with these new Christians, who perpetuated their kind in large numbers. On historical grounds there is every reason to believe that the living Canary Islanders are at least as much Guanche in origin as Spanish. - C.S. Coon

Telperion
Sunday, April 18th, 2004, 05:44 AM
There's no doubt the Spaniards treated the Guanches with appalling cruelty, and basically destroyed their culture.

But, I'm wondering what their origins were before the Spanish 'civilized' the ones they didn't kill. Were they Guanches Celts in origin? Were they mixed with other peoples who settled the islands after the Guanches, but prior to the Spanish conquest, or were the original Guanche settlers divided into a blonder upper stratum and more brunet lower classes (which seems to have been the pattern in ancient Celtic societies)? What about their language - I've heard some linguists think it was related to Berber, though that seems odd, given many of them seem to have been a nordid-looking people in their physical appearance. Their origins do seem rather mysterious, hence my interest in uncovering answers to these questions.

morfrain_encilgar
Sunday, April 18th, 2004, 05:58 AM
But, I'm wondering what their origins were before the Spanish 'civilized' the ones they didn't kill. Were they Guanches Celts in origin? Were they mixed with other peoples who settled the islands after the Guanches, but prior to the Spanish conquest, or were the original Guanche settlers divided into a blonder upper stratum and more brunet lower classes (which seems to have been the pattern in ancient Celtic societies)? What about their language - I've heard some linguists think it was related to Berber, though that seems odd, given many of them seem to have been a nordid-looking people in their physical appearance. Their origins do seem rather mysterious, hence my interest in uncovering answers to these questions.

They are descended from North Africans.

Telperion
Sunday, April 18th, 2004, 05:45 PM
They are descended from North Africans.
That would seem consistent with what is known about their language. I suppose the follow up question would be, who are the Berbers related to or descended from? I was under the impression their language was Hamitic, so it is curious that they seem to be related to a people (i.e. the Guanches) many of whom apparently were of a Nordid type. Although, I've also read that the Berbers themselves are on average taller and lighter-complexioned than their Arab neighbours. How much is known about the origins of the Berbers, and who they are related to?

BTW if anyone can point me to a detailed source on this topic, I'll go read it instead of continuing to ask questions about them here. I'm just trying to find out more about these people than I currently know based on the sources available to me.

morfrain_encilgar
Sunday, April 18th, 2004, 05:51 PM
That would seem consistent with what is known about their language. I suppose the follow up question would be, who are the Berbers related to or descended from? I was under the impression their language was Hamitic, so it is curious that they seem to be related to a people (i.e. the Guanches) many of whom apparently were of a Nordid type. Although, I've also read that the Berbers themselves are on average taller and lighter-complexioned than their Arab neighbours. How much is known about the origins of the Berbers, and who they are related to?

Berbers are of West Asian and Mechtoid descent. If you search the Skadi board for Capsian and Mechtoid, you will find more about their racial type than anywhere else on the internet.

Telperion
Sunday, April 18th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Berbers are of West Asian and Mechtoid descent. If you search the Skadi board for Capsian and Mechtoid, you will find more about their racial type than anywhere else on the internet.
Thanks, I'll search accordingly.

lahun-ok
Sunday, October 3rd, 2004, 02:07 PM
Berbers, Guanches, Basques, Libians, aegiptians, etrusques (whose roots are western) , cretensians, tartessics they formed all part of the great preindoeuropan or protonordic empire of the Atlantis, in those days at the end of the "ice age" the cold weather, called today nordic, reached over the southern regions of europe like Spain.

http://http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=18489&highlight=atlantis

Tribunale Dei Minore
Monday, October 4th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Berbers, Guanches, Basques, Libians, aegiptians, etrusques (whose roots are western) , cretensians, tartessics they formed all part of the great preindoeuropan or protonordic empire of the Atlantis, in those days at the end of the "ice age" the cold weather, called today nordic, reached over the southern regions of europe like Spain.

http://http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=18489&highlight=atlantis
Indeed, almost all 'aegiptians' (egyptians?) were nordic with just a few
exceptions!
Here are some excellent examples of the nordic/sh phenotype :
(the nordiest i could find, actually they are romans and greeks)

Ancient Egyptian portraiture
Roman period

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/portraiture/roman/UC49920shot1.jpg

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/portraiture/roman/UC38315.jpg

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/portraiture/roman/UC19613.jpg

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/portraiture/roman/UC19612.jpg

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/portraiture/roman/UC19611.jpg

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/portraiture/roman/UC19608.jpg

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/portraiture/roman/UC19607.jpg

http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/portraiture/roman.htm

SouthernBoy
Monday, October 4th, 2004, 01:13 AM
I believe they were upper paleolithic survivors most related to the Bell-Beakers(Borreby) but also a special variety of their own.

lahun-ok
Monday, October 4th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Indeed, almost all 'aegiptians' (egyptians?) were nordic with just a few
exceptions!
Here are some excellent examples of the nordic/sh phenotype :
(the nordiest i could find, actually they are romans and greeks)

Yes,my english has to improve, :D.
By the other side I was talking about the first pre-dinastic egyptians, who lived arround the years 3100-3000 before Christ, they were nordic.
I quote:

The man of Cro-magnon and the Egyptians.
To what family we can tie the race of the "carriers" of the Egyptian civilization? All the observations would tend to demonstrate that it was men of the Cro-Magnon type. This type, predominant within the aristocracy, would have disappeared of the spheres leaders of Egypt in the environs of XVIII the dynasty, when ending up mixing itself with the Semitic and niger immigrants.

Sir Wallis Budge, in the Thirties, being based on the observation of numerous bodies momificados but or conserved by sands of the desert did not affirm that "Egyptian the predynastic ones belonged to a white race or of clear skin with clear hair; they were in many old aspects similar to the Libyans ".

This same race can also be appraised in many recovered of the non robbed tombs and in representations of the Pharaohs and members of its clan shaped in the temples and funeral monuments of Dynastic Egypt. In last centuries, these characteristics would call the attention of the egipt investigators, surprised to find them in an African region.

The father of the Egyptology, Sir Flinders Petrie, was one of first in indicating it in 1901: "the fisiognomy shows decisive a connection and pronouncing between prehistoric Egypt and old Libya, and on the other hand the anthropology supports the numerous archaeological testimonies that denote a near connection between Egypt and Libya. Nowadays he is rare that Libyan the old ones were white and blond, but the Latin writers of the antiquity already had reviewed it, like Escílax, navigator and Greek geographer of the century VI. On the other hand, the Greek writer Plutarco had talked about the town of Seth, runs of Egypt during the First Dynasty (3,100 b.C.), like formed by red haired men, like the Libyans. At the beginning of century XX, the Egyptian historian Maspero indicated that "this king of the Egypt Stop was associate with the desert of Libya and the Libyans. In fact, he identified himself to him with the Libyan God Ash ". The Egyptian language is very similar to the Libyan.

Years before the anthropologist To Pietrement had talked about in a test published in 1883 the lessons that the old Egyptian paintings contributed to the naturalists, etnógraphs and historians. In these paintings the Libyans were white men and women with blond hair, blue eyes and Nordic face characteristics. Anthropologist Carleton Coon, of the University of Harvard, advanced in 1939 interesting hypotheses being based on the archaeological testimonies. In their work "the races of Europe", made reference to a testimony: "queen Hetep-Heres II of IV the Dynasty, daughter of Keops, appears in bas-relief of her tomb with the hair of blond color, horizontal wicks red haired and the white skin". The mentioned daughter of Keops was not the only red haired of the family. Also their wife and her sister-in-law were it, like many other members of the class run. The wife of another Pharaoh, Kefren, was red haired with blue eyes, according to is observed in the representations, like in the tomb of the wife of Zoser Pharaoh, (2800 b.C.) of III the Dynasty, that also was blond/red haired.

By the observations of Coon on the Libyans it is than probable more that all of them had antecedents in this old ethnic group: "For 3,000 years, during the Superior Paleolític a group of Cromagnon, called men of Afalou, lived in North Africa and the Libyans descend from them. Many of them were red haired since this characteristic still persists in the zone, At the present time, the characteristics of this human type are mainly in Norway, Ireland and the Moroccan Rif. Modern bereberes descends from old the Libyans ". This was not a mere hypothesis. Coon was in the certain thing. The investigations of Cavalli Sforza and other genetistas of the Princetown University confirmed by means of conducted DNA tests in the Nineties that bereberes are next to the British more than any other African or European racial group. Do exist also other confirming data relative to the size and forms of the skulls of Cromagnon found in Afalou seine fishing Rummel (Algeria), that are equal to the found ones in Denmark and Sweden. Coon also spoke of a "race of megaliths constructors" that was located between the Nordic and the one of Cromagnon, that after to have constructed to astronomical temples like the one of Stonehenge or underground pyramids like Silbury Hill in England,and numerous alignments in French Britain as those of Carnac (to see the linguistic similarity with Egyptian Karnac) and many other constructions mainly from the West of Europe, took with himself its knowledge to the Mediterranean, North Africa, Libya and Egypt.

In the middle of century XX, the anthropologist Raymond To Dart made a series of works on fossil Egyptian skulls that, apparently, had only Nordic characteristics . Also Egypt raked four great invasions Nordic in (the previous one was previous to the well-known dynasties) and affirmed that "the Egyptian faronic type was of Nordic origin like proves the head of the Pharaoh Rameses II, whose skull was pelágic ellipsoid, that is to say, Nordic". He lacked an analysis of the hair of this Pharaoh, but in 1993, anthropologists G. Elliot, B. Smith and W.R. Dawson analyzed it with microscope and confirmed that he was Nordic, just as their skull. Also they carried out anthropological measures in 25 groups of different skeletons worldwide and concluded that the pyramid constructors Pharaohs descended from this "mythical megalítical race" of which speaks Coon: "Altogether, they show bows with neolithic the European, North Africa, modern Europe and more remotely, India? The group of skeletons that more comes near old the Egyptians is the one of the neolithic French ". Indeed, the constructors of the mentioned prehistoric megaliths.

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/mleal/articles/africa/images/image004.jpg
"Filogenétich tree" of 49 studied African ethnic groups, to observe the intimate proximity between bereberes, guanches, Libyan and egipitians.

They were not only many blond or red haired Pharaohs. The archaeological and paleoantropológicos rest are numerous that reflect the existence of Egyptian blondes, red haired, of clear eyes and white race in old Egypt. Next we emphasized some of them reviewed in different anthropological sources (B. Smith and W. R. Dawson) or aqueológicals (Sir Wallis Budge and Sir Flinders Petrie):
- One red haired mummy, red moustache and beard near pyramids of Saqqara.
- red haired mummies in the caverns of Aboufaida
- One mummy blond in Kawamil, along with other many of brown hair.
- Mummies of brown hair found in Silsileh.
- mummy of queen Tiy had waved and brown hair.
- Red haired heads in a rural scene in the tomb of the Meketre nobleman (around year 2000 b.C.).
- In the tomb of Menna, the west of Tebas (XVIII Dynasty), they are seen in a scene painted in a wall blond young people and a blond man supervising to workers of grain dark skin harvesting.
- funeral Wake of the red haired priest Remi.
- Talismans with a blue eye called the eye of Horus.
- red haired aegiptian with painting blue eyes of III the Dynasty.
- a painting in the tomb of Meresankh III in Gizeh (around the 2,485 b.C.) it shows red haired personages of white skin.
- a painting of the tomb of Iteti in Saqqara shows a blond man of Nordic aspect.
- Paintings of red haired people with blue eyes in the tomb of Bagt, Beni Hassan.
But it is that they exist in addition, many other archaeological rest that represent individuals of white race in old Egypt. Thus, the Egyptian museum of the Cairo lodges thousands of treasures and among them, the statues of Rahotep and Nofret have white characteristics and the eyes of blue color. In the same room in that these two are conserved sculptures we can see other representations of the same period that shine blue or gray eyes. It is the case of the famous one writes Morgan, or of the wood statue of Seikh the Beled. The Museum of the Louvre in Paris conserves between its treasures the statue of the famous one writes seated (2500 b.C.), also discovered by the Mariette French in the Serapeum de Sakkara in the decade of 50 of century XIX All of them have the same characteristics. Since already there are saying, the presence of these characteristics of white race, occurs basically in the first dynasties.

Guanches

The Guanches constitutes the substrate of the population (original people) of the Canary Islands, are a race, that although extinguished, has left numerous testimonies us for its study. Its elevated stature, observed in all mummys (two meters of average), the considerable craneana capacity (1900 cm3), the greatest is well-known, the cephalic index (77.77 in the men), indicate a very pure ancestry, to the being examined these mummys, some of them had the hair arranged in and cleared golden, long tufts. This people of the primigéneous Nordic type was in Europe Sudoccidental like testimony of the race that during the age of ice lived in the extreme conditions of cold of the climate the well-known today like Nordic and who reigned in that age in zones of much more to the south, like Andalusia. The age of ice began 2 million ago years, although defrosting began on the 13000 BC, is considered that it did not finish until the 10,000 BC when the "eternal ices" had retired to the north of Hamburg, 2,500 years later the ice border was located on Stockholm. It will be with the end of this age of the ice when the protonórdics peoples initiate their migration from the zones of the south following the great herds of reindeer that migrated to the north looking after the tundra. Slowly after the course of millenia they reached Germany, Denmark and Sweden, where they were based permanently.

Guanches, Egyptian, Basque, bereberes and the preIndo-European languages.

In a recent study conducted by scientists German the two basic lines of the investigation - the genetics and the linguistic one take to the same conclusion: there is a common substrate stops most of the European that it has to do with the Basque town: "Many names of establishments, rivers, mountains, valleys and landscapes of Europe would have their origin in preIndo-European languages, concretely in the Basque...

... "The European vascones (or basques) prehistoric not only left names geographic. In more than a region - the investigation adds occur plans of its old form to count. The Indo-European brought the decimal system, but the Basoues of our days continue counting on base twenty: twenty and ten - hogeita hamar- (thirty), twice twenty (forty), twice twenty and ten (fifty). Celtas would have taken from vascones the vigesimal system, that was conserved in the old French. Still some relics like quatre-vingts last (four times twenty), quatre-vingt-DIX (ninety)". The investigators aim that that language was extending and influencing in all Europe (they review examples of Germany, England...), but also in Morocco (the distance of the coasts at the glacial time was minor that the present one) they even find places with clearly basque names . In fact, dialecto of bereber, tajelshit, also has a system vigesimal." The old cretense language and the Mayan language also used the vigesimal system for their accounts. In this case we found, once again, beyond the genetic substrate, a sample of which also exists also a linguistic substrate that unites in the preIndo-European or Atlantis family to peoples like the Basques, French, bereberes and, as it commented previously, also to the old íberos, tartessos, cretenses, Etruscan and Mayan among others.

The titled book "Egyptian, bereberes, guanches and Basques" published by the Complutensian Publishing house, are a fantastic investigation caused by the studies of Antonio Arnáiz Villena and Jorge Alonso Garci'a, one linguist and the other genetist. Both maintain in their book that these four towns have an origin common in the diáspora of a primitive people. Towards the North they gave rise to the Basques, towards the West to guanches and the East to the Egyptians. According to the authors, the alive usko-Mediterranean languages are the Basque and bereber, this last one very damaged by the influence of the Arab. Languages died coming from the same line like the Iberian-tarte'sico, the Etruscan, the linear one "a" cretense, guanche, Egyptian and the others of Near East exist, in addition, (hitite, eblite, elamite and sumerian). They maintain that genetically all the peoples that spoke these languages are related. The Greek people is not it (in a lingüistic sense) and represents people arrivals to the zone but recently (after 2000 b.C.). The other towns belong to a older Mediterranean substrate.

The race constructor of megaliths

The people of the South and Center of Portugal, as well as of the Extremadura neighbor (Spain), begin to the more important cultural phenomenon of European prehistory: the megalitism. The Portuguese prehistorians defend so early dates for the beginning of this phenomenon like 4800 b.C., being able to attribute to their Britain equivalent the one of 3800 b.C., sensibly more delayed. In any case, between 3500 and 3000 b.C. this cultural phenomenon knows an expansion generalized between the native towns the European Atlantic coast.

The megalitism is a prehistoric cultural phenomenon essentially consistent in the construction of tombs of the type "dólmen", in whose interior it is successively buried the deceaseds of the group, separating carefully the bones from the previous deceaseds (collective interments). Dólmens can be simple or of runner and, often, been they have covered by a mount of accumulated earth raises that it testifies the effect of the erosion on the cupola of the old pyramid. In addition, within the megalítich context, other constructions of stone like "menhires", alignments, "crómlech" can also be, etc. The more famous megalítical monument is without a doubt Stonehenge, prehistoric observatory of the south of England, the beginning of its construction is dated in the 3300 BC.

The most extensive period of megalitism is located in the Iberian southwest, where a.C. includes approximately from 4800 to 1300 b.C., including/understanding the periods neolithic and calcolític. Towards 3800 b.C. arrives at Britain and the West of France, whereas between 3500 and 3000 b.C. extends between practically all the native populations of the European Atlantic slope, until then devoid from a common nexus. One thinks that the deep-sea fishing, particularly the one of the codfish, could serve like transmission means. The constructors of megaliths as Stonehenge or Carnac were an original town of the Iberian Peninsula.

http://www.geocities.com/giovenzani/Tav011.JPG
In this map they are observed approximately detailed main the routes of penetration by which it carried out, from the 3900 BC, the invasion of central Europe and Britain the race of megaliths constructors giants original from the South of the Iberian Peninsula, after this first and significant invasive big wave, in the dawn of the 2400 BC, a new invasive big wave coming from the south of Spain, carried out by the descending people of this megaliths constructor race, called at the present time tartesso-argárico people or the campaniforme glass people,this people followed the passages of its ancestors penetrating and invading central europe, the vital space or original habitat of the Indo-European peoples (Germany-Poland), causing with it the migration towards the east and Southeast of the Indo-European peoples that in their displacement would invade and conquer innumerable cultures and territories. The Spanish people of the campaniforme glass invasion of central Europe took place ten centuries before the arrival of celtics to the Peninsula, whereas the construction race of megaliths penetrated in Europe from the Peninsula on the 4000 BC. We know that both peoples were original of the present Andalucia and south of Portugal, we can consider it like the same migration of a same people carryng out in two different stages of the History. Old texts speak to us of capable constructors and gold jewel creators , silver and enamels colored in necklaces, bracelets and sacred objects of refined decoration, of a culture very outpost with respect to their time in the context of their appearance, other texts speak of a town of giants whose king was called Atlas and lived in a city of doors of silver in a neighboring island of the ocean inhabited by blond giants that later would emigrate towards central Europe and Scandinavia.

From 3000 b.C. (rather before, even), innovations in the funeral construction are observed in the Portuguese diffusing center and its important environs: the calls "artificial caves" (in truth pyramids) and "tholoi". Also a remarkable increase of the ultramarine commerce is observed, concerning amber of Scandinavia and márfil and egg rind of ostrich of Africa. In this period the export of the megalitism to zones that cannot be considered purely Atlantic, of central Europe as of the western Mediterranean also begins to notice as much. From 2700 b.C. appear cities fortified so much in the southwest as in the Iberian Southeast, forming therefore first and only civilizations (without writing) implied in the megalítical phenomenon: the cultures of Vila Nova and Los Millares.

http://miarroba.com/foros/adjuntos.php?accion=download&fileid=556506&foroid=404265&rand=9484562
Map that shows an outline of the way followed by the old Atlantes settlers, although incomplete, since we can suppose, due to the presence of numerous "tholois" in Greece and Crete that the Atlantes also reached those earth teching there their knowledge and culture. To see attached file 3.

The old settlers of the Iberian Peninsula.

In the Iberian Peninsula, in an approximated radius of 200 km around present Cadiz, we found the oldest rest known of megalítical works or of pyramids constructed by the man, concretely the monumental set of "Cave of Menga" is a perfect sintesis between the culture or megalítich architecture and the one of pyramids, being in addition previous to any megalith or pyramid of non Iberian construction. Having this in account, we can affirm that the lost "megaliths constructors race " of which spoke Coon was original of the Peninsula and that this people in the set of its migrations extended Towards the North as towards the South, creating to its step the greater monumental sets and civilizations of the ancient times where it would leave to forms its deep astronomical and architectonic knowledge. It is of this mythical race, the Atlantes, from those who descended the tartessos, bereberes (blond), guanches, Libyan, Egyptian and Basque among others and will be this race of Atlantes the creator of great civilizations like the minoica (cretenses), Mayan or the Egyptian and of increilbles monuments like the one of Stonehenge.

lahun-ok
Monday, October 4th, 2004, 05:19 PM
The text I ´ve printed before, is the ending of the thread "The Atlantis", http://http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=18489, the bibliography is at the end of the text, thanks. Saludos.

Telperion
Monday, October 4th, 2004, 05:49 PM
As a general remark, I would like everyone here to keep the discussion on-topic and civil. The purpose of this thread is to discuss and debate the sub-racial type of the Guanches, and their relationship to other peoples.

SouthernBoy
Tuesday, October 5th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Telperion, would you put the Guanches into more of a Borreby subtype, or a Brunn subtype?

Telperion
Tuesday, October 5th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Telperion, would you put the Guanches into more of a Borreby subtype, or a Brunn subtype?That is a good question. Without specific anthropometric data comparing them to these types, it isn't possible to do more than speculate. As far as the Spanish descriptions of the Guanches they encountered are concerned, though, the Guanches apparently were largely fair-haired, and one tends to associate blondism with Borrebies, while Brunns (at least in Ireland) seem anecdotally to have more of a tendency to rufosity. Presumably the Guanches, as a people who seem to be of North African Cro-Magnon type stock, also had a tendency to brachycephaly, which if so would be perhaps somewhat more consistent with the Borreby than the Brunn type.

Overall, then, my impression is that the Guanches were probably more analogous in type to Borreby than Brunn. But, absent anthropometric measurements, that is only a subjective impression. Ethnically, of course, their closest relatives were the Berbers of North Africa (as pointed out by Atlanto-Med in a post above).

lahun-ok
Tuesday, October 5th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Well, the I think it´s explained in the text I´ve inserted, Guanches, berebers, the old libians, the old egiptians, the old tartessic peoples, basques, they all formed part of the ancient Atlantis, they were the protonordic or protoindogermanic peoples, also konwn as "usko-mediterranean", who lived tohusands of years ago in the cold andalucia ´s weather at the end of the "ice age" so I think the nordic type like the Guanches people were originary from the south and that they migrated to the north where they´re stablished thousand´s of yeras after.

Tribunale Dei Minore
Tuesday, October 5th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Yes,my english has to improve, :D.
By the other side I was talking about the first pre-dinastic egyptians, who lived arround the years 3100-3000 before Christ, they were nordic.
I quote:
@Lahun-ok: You quote but give us the link? It isn't scientific magazine, right?

Celtibero
Monday, November 1st, 2004, 11:54 AM
¿Nordic guanches?:D

Guanches were north african and they were killed and mixed with the spanish conquers. If you go to the Canary Islands, you could see this north african admixture in a lot of people. They are the darkest and the tallest spaniard population because canaryans have guanche admixture.

Triglav
Monday, November 1st, 2004, 02:07 PM
http://forums.skadi.net/showthread.php?t=23280

Agrippa
Saturday, January 15th, 2005, 02:50 AM
The Guanches were, like the original Berbers, mostly Cromagnoid-Mediterranoid in character.
Such a mixture has always certain similarities to Northern European populations, what shouldnt surprise anyone because the mix of morphological forms is similar.