PDA

View Full Version : Started Wood Fence Project This Weekend

Ewergrin
Tuesday, August 17th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Well, I finally started a rather massive undertaking which has roots that run deep, and are now starting to bud.

I am building a Cedar fence which will encapsulate my backyard, and returning back into the sides of the house.

Saturday afternoon, I made a trip to Home Depot, with the intent of buying only the 6 posts I would need to set the corners, which would finally get this project underway. No turning back now!

My original plan was to use 8' long metal, pre-drilled fence posts, because I was certain that they would be cheaper than 4x4 treated wooden posts. Upon arriving, I discovered that in fact, the 4x4 wooden posts were $4 cheaper than the metal posts! I was then so delighted by this discovery, that I decided to buy all 33 of the posts right then and there, so as to get it out of the way.

So Saturday night I set the corner posts (they needed to be set in order for me to pull the string lines needed for making sure the posts are perfectly straight in line with each other. ]

Sunday morning, I ran my bottom string line and marked out every 8' along the perimeter of the fence line. This is where I would then dig the holes to set the inside posts.

I then rented a 2 man auger from Home Depot, and my father in law came over to help me drill the holes. Talk about a nightmare! Those machines are very difficult to wrestle with, but after a few holes (and a few problems with the machine; at first it did not want to even idle) we finally got the hang of it and we had all of the holes drilled in no time. I returned the auger (it was on a 4 hour rent time) and then began to mix concrete to set the posts.

I did not finish until 8:30 last night, but only because I had one wheelbarrow, and I was mixing two 80lb bags of concrete at a time.

Anyways, it is now Monday evening, and I am ready to relax! I will wait until this weekend to run the top and bottom stringers. After which i will nail the Cedar fenceboards and start work on the two gates in the front.

I am making one of the gate a double opening, 9' gate, so that a vehicle may be driven into the backyard (a nicely shorn green, full lawn is a great place to wash and wax a car ;)), as well as a 3'6" gate next to it for human use.

Anyways, I have been doing a little bit of 'sketching" with MS Paint, so I am attaching a copy of the layout for my project!

PsycholgclMishap
Tuesday, August 17th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Looks like you're well on your way to having a beautiful fenced yard! Be sure to post pictures when it's completed!

Or even post stages of the project. :smt003

Allenson
Tuesday, August 17th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Nice man--there's nothing like a good project around the homestead, eh? ;)

I rebuilt our garden fence this past spring and also used Cedar posts. Around here, with Northern White Cedar readily available, posts are rather inexpensive. We bought the new posts this spring for a whoping $1.95 a piece. Sweet. I was going to cut the fence posts from our woodlot (around 10 acres) but when I saw that price and knowing that they came from a local source, I couldn't pass it up. :smt004

Yeah, those augers are a real bear sometime, eh? LOL. :haha Well, good luck with the project and keep us posted! Pun fully intended. :smt048

Ewergrin
Tuesday, August 17th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Nice man--there's nothing like a good project around the homestead, eh? ;)

I rebuilt our garden fence this past spring and also used Cedar posts. Around here, with Northern White Cedar readily available, posts are rather inexpensive. We bought the new posts this spring for a whoping $1.95 a piece. Sweet. I was going to cut the fence posts from our woodlot (around 10 acres) but when I saw that price and knowing that they came from a local source, I couldn't pass it up. :smt004

Yeah, those augers are a real bear sometime, eh? LOL. :haha Well, good luck with the project and keep us posted! Pun fully intended. :smt048

Do you mean Cedar fence boards? The treated 4x4 posts I used are pine, I'm sure. The fence boards though, are Cedar. The variety of which I am unsure of at this juncture, however.

Allenson
Wednesday, August 18th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Do you mean Cedar fence boards? The treated 4x4 posts I used are pine, I'm sure. The fence boards though, are Cedar. The variety of which I am unsure of at this juncture, however.

No, Cedar posts are what we have. We didn't use boards--only chicken wire. The garden fence is basically to keep those hungry and at times, rather pesky deer out! ;)

OK--I'm on the same page with you now regarding your posts. Yup--probably pine if they're 4x4s....sometimes I see spruce and even hemlock but usually pine.

Cedar is great for posts actually as it is a naturally very rot resistant wood due to the high levels of tanic acid in the wood.

Ewergrin
Wednesday, August 18th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Cedar is great for posts actually as it is a naturally very rot resistant wood due to the high levels of tanic acid in the wood.

Precisely the reason we opted for the more expensive Cedar fence boards, as opposed the pressure treated Pine fence boards. Pine is a dry wood, and eventually, even treated Pine boards will definitely begin to warp, so running a third fence stringer is required. Cedar grows in highly wet areas naturally, and thrives on the water, so it's really a natural choice to have Cedar fence boards, because they don;t need to be treated and they will never really warp all that much, if at all.

Ewergrin
Tuesday, August 24th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Project completed!

I'll take pictures of it asap, I swear.

Anne14
Tuesday, August 24th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Sounds nice! Yes - please do post pics!

Ewergrin
Monday, August 30th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Finished fence pictures.
Excuse the mess in the yard. :)

Ewergrin
Monday, August 30th, 2004, 07:54 PM
fence2.jpg

Ewergrin
Monday, August 30th, 2004, 07:55 PM
fence3.jpg

Ewergrin
Monday, August 30th, 2004, 07:58 PM
fence4.jpg

Ewergrin
Monday, August 30th, 2004, 07:59 PM
fence5.jpg

Anne14
Monday, August 30th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Looks great! Good job!

PsycholgclMishap
Tuesday, August 31st, 2004, 05:57 AM
Beautiful fence and a beautiful yard (minus those two minor dirt spots)!!!

Awesome job, Troy!