PDA

View Full Version : 'Storms of Steel' (In Stahlgewittern) - by Ernst Jünger

Zyklop
Tuesday, July 13th, 2004, 08:55 PM
A highly recommendable book about WW1.
The author, Ernst Jünger (1895-1998), was a German volunteer and became one of the most decorated stormtroop commanders of WW1. The book was reconstructed from his war-diary and describes the relentless bloodbath without the whining undertone wich usually is found in WW1 literature.

I didn´t find a complete English online edition but here is an excerpt:

" I had the suffocating sensation of unreality when my eyes fixed themselves on a human form, streaming with blood, whose leg was hanging from his body at a strange angle and who was letting out a continuous stream of hoarse cries for help as if death still had him by the throat. We dragged him to a house outside which hung the flag of the Red Cross.
What happened at that moment? The war had shown its claws and thrown aside its good-natured mask. How mysterious it all was, how impersonal! We hardly thought about the enemy, that enigmatic and evil being somewhere beyond the horizon. This episode, which was entirely new for us, had such a violent impact on our minds that we had to make a distinct effort to grasp the concept. It was like the appearance of a ghost in the middle of the afternoon. "

http://www.russgranata.com/Junger.jpg
Ernst Jünger was wounded 14 times during frontline combat:
5 bullets
2 grenade slivers
1 shrapnell-ball
4 handgrenade slivers
2 bullet slivers

His comment: In this war, where already more rooms than single humans came under fire, I still managed eleven of this shots to be personally aimed at me.