PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles!

Allenson
Monday, June 28th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Ok--who loves them? Who has one or more than one? Share your motorcycle stories! :)

Me? I fall into the "more than one" category. I have two: a 1980 Kawasaki KLR 250 Enduro or on/off-road kind of bike and a 1982 Suzuki GS 650. Yeah, I know--they're Jap bikes but they're efficient and cheap to maintain. ;) Living in the hinterlands as I do, my commute to work is 30 miles one-way, so riding to work as opposed to driving my pickup truck saves me a lot of $$ on gas and milage on my truck. The 250, which is only one cylinder gets around 60 miles per gallon and the 650 (4 cylinder) is in the 53-55 MPG range. Plus, it's a pretty cool way to commute and it keeps my tobacco consumption down, LOL!

Someday, I'd love to acquire a BMW, Ducati, Harley or some other type of higher quality bike but for now, I'm in pretty good shape. :smt004

I don't have any pics of either one on my hard drive but here's what the 650 looks like--except mine doesn't have the windshield:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_scripts/gallerydispwnd.php?RegID=202

And, here's what the 250 looks like except that mine is black and red as opposed to Kawasaki's famous lime green:

http://www.urethane-ya.com/U_SOUKO/SOLD%20OUT%20BIKES/KL250-L.JPG

OK, who else? :)

Nefertari
Tuesday, June 29th, 2004, 01:09 AM
I've never had the opportunity to learn how to ride, but if...wait, scratch that....when I learn how to ride, I want a Harley Sportster 900 and when I'm raking in the dough....a Ducati, baybee! ;)

Besides, I always wanted a pair of black chaps! :smt003

PsycholgclMishap
Thursday, July 1st, 2004, 09:30 PM
Ever since I was little I've wanted a Harley. My mom and dad used to have a pair (different models).

My dream is to one day own a 1974 Harley Chopper. ;)

Allenson
Monday, July 12th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Yeah, bikes are one of the best ways to transport oneself in my eyes. Unlike cars, they get one actively involved in the natural (and bloody unnatural!) surrounds. The wind, sun and rain are right there with the rider, the landscape is tangible (sometimes a little too tangible!), and the world is real and not akin to a TV screen as it is from behind a car windshield. Robert Pirsig touches on this of course in [/i]Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance[i]. Simply a classic, really.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I drive a car plenty--but when I can, I ride!

LOL--no chaps for me--just Carharts. :smt002

Ewergrin
Monday, July 12th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Yeah, bikes are one of the best ways to transport oneself in my eyes. Unlike cars, they get one actively involved in the natural (and bloody unnatural!) surrounds. The wind, sun and rain are right there with the rider, the landscape is tangible (sometimes a little too tangible!), and the world is real and not akin to a TV screen as it is from behind a car windshield. Robert Pirsig touches on this of course in [/i]Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Simply a classic, really.

I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence when I was in high-school. Cannot say that I absorbed much of it at the time. Can you elaborate more in the Literature forum, please?

Allenson
Tuesday, July 13th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Yeah, bikes are one of the best ways to transport oneself in my eyes. Unlike cars, they get one actively involved in the natural (and bloody unnatural!) surrounds. The wind, sun and rain are right there with the rider, the landscape is tangible (sometimes a little too tangible!), and the world is real and not akin to a TV screen as it is from behind a car windshield. Robert Pirsig touches on this of course in [/i]Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Simply a classic, really.

I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence when I was in high-school. Cannot say that I absorbed much of it at the time. Can you elaborate more in the Literature forum, please?

I'll see if I can find the quote. :)

Allenson
Wednesday, July 14th, 2004, 07:01 PM
I'll see if I can find the quote. :)

OK--here it is:

"You see things vacationing on a motorcycle in a way that is completely different from any other. In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV. You're a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame.

On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming. That concrete whizzing by five inches below your foot is the real thing, the same stuff you walk on, it's right there, so blurred you can't focus on it, yet you can put your foot down and touch it anytime, and the whole thing, the whole experience, is never removed from immediate consciousness." ~Robert Pirsig

This basically sums up what I was implying in the earlier post. :)

Hmmm--as for elaboration, it's been years since I last read the book, so I may not be in tip-top shape to give a synopsis of Pirsig's metaphysics. ;)

I would however recommend the book as it is a good story from what I can remember, as well as a thought-provoking exploration of one man's evolving philosophy and metaphysical outlook.

I'll gather up some websites and post in the Literature forum.

Ewergrin
Wednesday, July 14th, 2004, 10:52 PM
I am very intrigued by the quotes you have posted here, from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence. Seems sort of Vonnegutish in a way. I read it once when I was in the eleventh grade and absorbed almost nothing of it. Now I think I'd like to try again. :)

Ewergrin
Thursday, August 12th, 2004, 04:08 AM
Dalonord!

Check this out:

http://www.ledershop-fischer.de/mybike5.htm

http://www.ledershop-fischer.de/images/mjolnir3.jpg

http://www.ledershop-fischer.de/images/mjolnir2.jpg

http://www.ledershop-fischer.de/images/mj_bn3.jpg

PsycholgclMishap
Thursday, August 12th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Beautiful bike!

Allenson
Thursday, August 12th, 2004, 04:40 PM
SWEET!!!! I love it. It must be a powerful feeling to be blasting down the road already feeling pretty 'kick-ass' only to look down at the fuel tank and see Thor's hammer by one's side! I don't read runes very well--I'm wondering what the side of the fuel tank says. I could surely translate by checking out some rune websites though...

I painted an Ingwaz rune on my rear fender! :) Like this one below:

Ewergrin
Thursday, August 12th, 2004, 06:03 PM
SWEET!!!! I love it. It must be a powerful feeling to be blasting down the road already feeling pretty 'kick-ass' only to look down at the fuel tank and see Thor's hammer by one's side! I don't read runes very well--I'm wondering what the side of the fuel tank says. I could surely translate by checking out some rune websites though...

I painted an Ingwaz rune on my rear fender! :) Like this one below:

At a first glance, I am guessing it says "Mjollnir," which would make perfect sense considering Mjollnir adorns the gas tank.

Ewergrin
Thursday, August 12th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Mjollnir

Vanir
Monday, October 24th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I am not a motorbike person myself, but my friends and brother are all really into them.

My mate Daniel recently smashed his R1, broke his humerous and pelvis and femur. Lucky he isn't dead really.

They may be cheap to run, and exposed to Mother Nature. But you can't take your dog with you, you can't take children, etc, etc...

I have to admit that I have a deep hatred of those Harley-Davidson riding "Hell's Angels" leather-wearing, pot bellied, handle-bar moustachioed prison-homosexuals. They really disgust me. They all think they are bulletproof, and try to intimidate people for no reason at any given opportunity. It embarrasses me that I have any genetic relationship with them at all!

Anyway, I personally think I'll stick with my pushbike I think.

anonymaus
Monday, October 24th, 2005, 04:44 PM
These are some of the latest concept bikes, debuting at the Tokyo Motor Show this year.

http://www.forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6426&stc=1&d=1130167407
Yamaha

Entitled "Gen-Ryu" and packing a 600cc engine augmented by hybrid-electric motor, it can achieve 1000cc engine class performance.

http://www.forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6427&stc=1&d=1130167421
Suzuki

Suzuki's 'Stratosphere' concept. Notice the large number of pipes at the front? They're coming out of an Inline-6 Cylinder engine. :cool:

http://www.forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6428&stc=1&d=1130167407
Honda

Honda's concept bike, the DN-01. I couldn't find any info other than it features a fully automatic transmission.

http://www.forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=6429&stc=1&d=1130167407
Harley-Davidson

The Harley-Davidson VRXSE Screamin' Eagle V-Rod Destroyer. Just looking at that bike rattles my undercarriage. ;)

Nightmare_Gbg
Monday, October 24th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Nice bikes,to bad they had to ruin the pic's with you know what.

Arcturus
Monday, October 24th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Hmmm... nice to see that the futuristic has landed firmly in bike-design as well. That top-most Yamaha, while not especially pleasing to my eye, shows a boldness I've been waiting for. Can't say much for the middle ones, as those represent what I call "tupperware-bikes", and I've never really been interested in them. The Harley. I loved the V-Rod, and it was clear HD was really trying to create something out of the ordinary, it was the "Cadillac of motorcycles" so to speak. The Destroyer wants to catch the wave the car industry has once again begun to ride; muscle. We'll see how long the trend lasts, as it will quite certainly come to an abrupt halt in the near future, but the time that passes between now and then will surely bring us some really raw, powerful and, best of all, beautiful machines.¨

Too bad concepts are nearly always watered down quite a lot before becoming a mass-produced model that meets all laws and regulations..

Weg
Monday, October 24th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Well, I never went on a motorbike. :P

PsycholgclMishap
Monday, October 24th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I have to admit that I have a deep hatred of those Harley-Davidson riding "Hell's Angels" leather-wearing, pot bellied, handle-bar moustachioed prison-homosexuals. They really disgust me. They all think they are bulletproof, and try to intimidate people for no reason at any given opportunity. It embarrasses me that I have any genetic relationship with them at all!

Wow. That's a bit harsh. I have never known any Hell's Angels to "try to intimidate people for no reason" and they are hardly homosexuals... Maybe they are A LOT different where you are.

My mother and father used to ride together and hang out with Hell's Angels in the 1970's and early 1980's. I have heard nothing but good things about those times. Of course, partying may have been a bit crazy back then because of the times but there is a mutual respect between people who are connoisseurs of the motorcycle.

My maternal grandfather belonged to one of the first motorcycle clubs established in California and he was a very respectable man. He was a highly intelligent engineer who worked for an aerospace company for more than 30 years and retired a well-respected man and in his retirement found more time to fiddle around in his garage with motorcycles.

I have two uncles who took after him with their love for motorcycles. One uncle was in a very horrible motor vehicle accident in which his calf was literally ripped off his leg because it was caught under the bumper of a van and he was dragged hundreds of feet before his muscles were ripped from the van's bumper. He was hospitalized for months and had rigorous physical therapy sessions before he could even sit in a wheelchair. He is alright these days but it definitely changed his outlook on riding and safety.

My other uncle bought a Harley a few years ago and is what they call a "weekend warrior". Saturday or Sunday riding sessions just for fun.

Ewergrin
Monday, October 24th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Maybe in Australia they do things a bit differently?

Allenson
Monday, October 24th, 2005, 07:25 PM
They may be cheap to run, and exposed to Mother Nature. But you can't take your dog with you, you can't take children, etc, etc...

LOL--those Harley guys (and gals!) are a breed apart, eh? ;)

Well, I've actually never had any trouble with them and I generally regard them with an "each to their own" attitude.

There is a code amongst many riders that when you pass another motorcyclist riding in the opposite direction, you give them a wave and they to you in return. Occasionally, I'll pass a Harley dude going the other way and I of course, extend my arm and hand in salutaions only to have them give me the snub becaus I'm not riding a Harley. :rolleyes: Whatever.... :P

And no, I don't take my dog on my bike, lol. I'd have to get a sidecar for that. ;)

http://www.bolante.com/Mack%20sidecar,%20a.JPG

Siegfried
Monday, October 24th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Here in the Netherlands, the Hell's Angels don't exactly have a good name and are supposedly deeply involved in crime, such as drug trafficking and extortion. Just a few days ago a hangout of theirs was raided and several 'Angels' were arrested. The Amsterdam chapter may be atypical of the Hell's Angels as a whole, though.

PsycholgclMishap
Monday, October 24th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Hell's Angels were typically viewed as a dangerous bunch because of what some of the clubs were involved in. The Hell's Angels initially started out as a group of war veterans riding for the fun and brotherhood. Some of these clubs became more rowdy and began criminal activity but that does not account for all of the clubs.

Ewergrin
Monday, October 24th, 2005, 10:23 PM
LOL--those Harley guys (and gals!) are a breed apart, eh? ;)

I'd gladly take this over a boring Harley anyday.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/logo/500/GSXR1000K6.jpg

PsycholgclMishap
Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 01:17 AM
I'd gladly take this over a boring Harley anyday.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/images/ProductImages/logo/500/GSXR1000K6.jpg

"Crotch Rockets" just look stupid to me and many of their riders risk their own lives and the lives of others. Just the other day I saw two riders going NINETY-FIVE (95) in a THIRTY-FIVE (35). They were pulled over and I could hear the officer yelling at them for being so irresponsible and endangering the lives of pedestrians and persons in vehicles obeying the speed limit.

Anyway, what's so "boring" about a Harley?

Ewergrin
Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 02:04 AM
"Crotch Rockets" just look stupid to me
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink.

Anyway, what's so "boring" about a Harley?
Personal preference, of course. I just don't care for traditional bikes, like Harleys. I prefer insane speed and precision over ultra loud, lumbering hogs vibrating down the freeways. The same goes for vehicles. I despise most American vehicles. I much prefer Japanese and European high performance vehicles.

Ewergrin
Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Just the other day I saw two riders going NINETY-FIVE (95) in a THIRTY-FIVE (35). They were pulled over and I could hear the officer yelling at them for being so irresponsible and endangering the lives of pedestrians and persons in vehicles obeying the speed limit.
And Harley's can't go beyond the speed limit? Guess what, the drivers were the ones breaking the speed limits. Not the bikes. :doh

PsycholgclMishap
Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 02:13 AM
And Harley's can't go beyond the speed limit? Guess what, the drivers were the ones breaking the speed limits. Not the bikes. :doh
I know Harley's can go beyond the speed limit and of course the drivers are at fault but the bike's ability causes "the need for speed". And obviously that bike can go MUCH faster and can cause much more damage...

Vanir
Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink.

Personal preference, of course. I just don't care for traditional bikes, like Harleys. I prefer insane speed and precision over ultra loud, lumbering hogs vibrating down the freeways. The same goes for vehicles. I despise most American vehicles. I much prefer Japanese and European high performance vehicles.
:thumbsup
I can't but be honest in observing that the Japanese have truly mastered the arts of high performance machinery. ie, Turbo-Charging is a German invention (of course) but the Japanese have refined & mastered it.

Nothing even comes close to Japanese motorbikes, they are exquisitely engineered in every way. I used to help my mates work on their old kawasaki ZX6's and 750's and I thought that they were well made, but from what I've seen, the R1's come apart like a lego model, they are really intelligently designed. They have the acceleration of a space-shuttle too.

In my younger days, I had a string of high-powered rotary sports cars (believe it or not) back when I didn't care about anything (going through early twenties nihilism) this was my favourite, it was an ex-japanese road/circuit car, handled like a go-kart, and accelerated like an F-17..
This was when I just bought it, I tore the rear wing off later that day.
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~tiwaz/andrs4.jpg

Here in the Netherlands, the Hell's Angels don't exactly have a good name and are supposedly deeply involved in crime, such as drug trafficking and extortion. Just a few days ago a hangout of theirs was raided and several 'Angels' were arrested. The Amsterdam chapter may be atypical of the Hell's Angels as a whole, though.

This is the situation here too. They are involved in amphetamines manufacture, and car/boat theft~re-birthing.

And no, I don't take my dog on my bike, lol. I'd have to get a sidecar for that. ;)

http://www.bolante.com/Mack%20sidecar,%20a.JPG

:lol: that'd be a sight to see on the road!

Ewergrin
Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 04:40 AM
That RX-7 is sweet. I agree with you about the wing though. Jesum! How much downforce did the previous owner they think he was going to need??

I am particularly fond of MK3 Supras. My brother in law owns a gorgeous '92 Supra Turbo. Both of my cars are Japanese and I love them. My next car will be either one of the last generation Turbo 300ZX's, or a mid-90's M3. BMW's are rather expensive to maintain, so it will probably be the 300ZX.

Of course, in a perfect world, I'd settle for an 850i - V12 and Twin Turbo. Insane. Insurance would rake me over the coals. :runaway

:hveğrungur:
Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 04:50 AM

I have two uncles who are hells angels and ive never known them or anyone they associate themselfs with to be like that. Dont judge a whole group of people by the actions of a few you've seen. It really is ignorant, no offence intended.

Vanir
Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 07:59 AM
I have two uncles who are hells angels and ive never known them or anyone they associate themselfs with to be like that. Dont judge a whole group of people by the actions of a few you've seen. It really is ignorant, no offence intended.

Perhaps they are all shining paragons of virtue in America, but in Australia you'll find they are generally fat-slob alcoholic criminal prison homo's with not one redeeming quality. Perhaps there was some rough corps de esprit "Biker Code" several decades ago, but certainly not today. It is just organized crime. There really is no need to become drunk and assault people for no reason, etc, nor manufacture commercial quantities of amphetamines, which the organized motorcycle gangs are all engaging in. I don't make them do these things, they act in such a way all of their own volition.

:hveğrungur:
Tuesday, October 25th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Perhaps they are all shining paragons of virtue in America, but in Australia you'll find they are generally fat-slob alcoholic criminal prison homo's with not one redeeming quality. Perhaps there was some rough corps de esprit "Biker Code" several decades ago, but certainly not today. It is just organized crime. There really is no need to become drunk and assault people for no reason, etc, nor manufacture commercial quantities of amphetamines, which the organized motorcycle gangs are all engaging in. I don't make them do these things, they act in such a way all of their own volition.

Then that is how the group is in your country. To label all hells angels as those types of people is wrong. Its like Christians who try to label all heathens as just godless scum with no morals who dance around trees and have sex with whoever they can. When everyone knows us heathens have stronger morals than most Christians.

Allenson
Saturday, October 29th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Dalonord the Destroyer

LOL. ;) Good one, lad!

Zyklop
Saturday, October 29th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Here in the Netherlands, the Hell's Angels don't exactly have a good name and are supposedly deeply involved in crime, such as drug trafficking and extortion. Just a few days ago a hangout of theirs was raided and several 'Angels' were arrested. The Amsterdam chapter may be atypical of the Hell's Angels as a whole, though.Same in Germany. Nothing wrong with occasional brawls, after all they are bikers, but over here they are heavily involved in organized crime. Some chapters also are declared illegal.