PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Heathen Are You, Anyways?

Ewergrin
Saturday, May 22nd, 2004, 03:45 PM
http://live.quizilla.com/user_images/T/Tysgjald/1054359485_rn-Heathen.jpg

You are a MODERNIST HEATHEN. You know that your ancestors would adapt to the changing times and not dwell on the past. You still hold the virtues of Heathenry high, but you are looking towards the future.

Take the test yourself:

What Kind of Heathen Are You, Anyways? (http://quizilla.com/users/Tysgjald/quizzes/What%20Kind%20of%20Heathen%20Are%20You%2 C%20Anyway%20%3F/)

This is a poll. Please vote your results. :viking

Mistress Klaus
Sunday, May 23rd, 2004, 06:33 AM
Mine also came up 'Modern Heathen' :smt002

Allenson
Tuesday, May 25th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Ha-ha, this is a funny site. I'd seen it berfore somewhere--maybe it was at Skadi or perhaps a friend sent to to me. Anyway....

...Yup, I'm a 'Modern Heathen' as well. I guess because I don't have any 'period' costumes to dress up in when I go out and pay a little (or a lot) or reverence to Mother Earth and all her buds, LOL :smt002 .

I do have a sword though. :smt003

Time for some mead, me thinks.

EricP
Wednesday, May 26th, 2004, 02:56 PM
I always come up "Old School." :smt002

Mac Seafraidh
Wednesday, July 14th, 2004, 11:03 AM
"What Kind of Heathen Are You, Anyway ?" - Results:
You are a MODERNIST HEATHEN. You know that your ancestors would adapt to the changing times and not dwell on the past. You still hold the virtues of Heathenry high, but you are looking towards the future

:hve­rungur:
Friday, August 6th, 2004, 05:23 AM
The test dosent work for me :smt011 Ill take a guess and say that I would probably end up as a Modern Heathen though :smt003

Siegfried
Sunday, September 19th, 2004, 07:26 PM

:smt004

Great pic, btw.

Ewergrin
Sunday, September 19th, 2004, 07:41 PM
The test dosent work for me :smt011 Ill take a guess and say that I would probably end up as a Modern Heathen though :smt003

I'd say that anyone who can take this test online is a Modern Heathen.

Sifsvina
Friday, February 11th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Hehehe....old school! :valkyrie
Was "the swedish knitting society" option a joke? I couldn't find it on line. :idea A sweater pattern with runes? Alas, I shall have to figure it out myself.

Siegfried
Saturday, February 12th, 2005, 01:03 AM
I made the test again, and this time I turned out 'old school'.

http://live.quizilla.com/user_images/T/Tysgjald/1054359574_Old-School.jpg

Ewergrin
Saturday, February 12th, 2005, 09:27 AM
I have come to the belief that if you are here, on an internet forum, reading this thread, or any thread like it, or taking the test in it's original format, you are in no way an "old school heathen." Electricity alone negates the idea. I have no problem being a Modern Heathen.

Wotanimus
Saturday, February 12th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Hmmmm..... I prefer Evola's school.

Frans_Jozef
Monday, May 16th, 2005, 02:01 PM
http://live.quizilla.com/user_images/T/Tysgjald/1054359574_Old-School.jpg You are an OLD SCHOOL HEATHEN. You've been around the block a few times, and don't need to change your worldview to please others as the years go by. People like you are the backbone of Heathenry.

morfrain_encilgar
Monday, May 16th, 2005, 02:04 PM
You are an OLD SCHOOL HEATHEN. You've been around the block a few times, and don't need to change your worldview to please others as the years go by. People like you are the backbone of Heathenry.

Blood_Axis
Monday, May 16th, 2005, 02:14 PM
:eek

...well I'll be damned! :D

Frans_Jozef
Monday, May 16th, 2005, 02:17 PM
:eek

...well I'll be damned! :D

Copycat...what are you up to, my fair "maiden"?:suspect

Blood_Axis
Monday, May 16th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Copycat...what are you up to, my fair "maiden"?:suspect
No, honestly, Frans, I got that! I would have excepted modern Heathen at best.. :shrug

Frans_Jozef
Monday, May 16th, 2005, 02:33 PM
No, honestly, Frans, I got that! I would have excepted modern Heathen at best.. :shrug
The Day I come around, there will be no shalom nor salaam in the streets and houses of Europe and you Modern Heathens will be crushed if you won't pay tribute to the Old Traditions nor be obedient to my ruling!:soapbox

Blood_Axis
Monday, May 16th, 2005, 02:37 PM
The Day I come around, there will be no shalom nor salaam in the streets and houses of Europe and you Modern Heathens will be crushed if you won't pay tribute to the Old Traditions nor be obedient to my ruling!:soapbox
Sure. :D But I got "Old School Heathen" as well, so that means there is hope for me. :P

P.S. I chose Steven Flowers. ;)

Ewergrin
Monday, May 16th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Did anyone else notice that the "Old School Heathen" picture isn't so old school?

http://www.blutundboden.com/images/1054359574_Old-School.jpg

Ewergrin
Monday, May 16th, 2005, 02:59 PM
You are an OLD SCHOOL HEATHEN. You've been around the block a few times, and don't need to change your worldview to please others as the years go by. People like you are the backbone of Heathenry.

Welcome to Blut und Boden Forum, cumbrian. :)

Wotanimus
Tuesday, May 17th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Did anyone else notice that the "Old School Heathen" picture isn't so old school?

http://www.blutundboden.com/images/1054359574_Old-School.jpgBra ha ha ha ha ha ha looooooooool :rrofl :haha :rofl

Frans_Jozef
Tuesday, May 17th, 2005, 08:58 PM

http://www.blutundboden.com/images/1054359574_Old-School.jpg
The old heathens are people of all seasons, while what once was modern and innovative, will one day loose grip on the minds of new generations and be felt like dated.;)

Wotanimus
Tuesday, May 17th, 2005, 09:48 PM
The old heathens are people of all seasons, while what once was modern and innovative, will one day loose grip on the minds of new generations and be felt like dated.;)So the solution is only one!
REVOLUTION AGAINST THE MODERN WORLD!
hehehe...
:wiking :wiking :wiking

Wotanimus
Tuesday, May 17th, 2005, 09:49 PM
The old heathens are people of all seasons, while what once was modern and innovative, will one day loose grip on the minds of new generations and be felt like dated.;)Then why they are wearing ancient style clothes? :scratchhe

leonidas
Saturday, August 13th, 2005, 08:29 PM
I'm traditionalist heathen(Evola)!

Cuchullain
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 04:37 PM
Old school.

Weg
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 06:27 PM
I'm pretty surprised.

Notice the car in the back. :D

Cuchullain
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah, they ran this on the HF. It's a load of s@@t really.

Slainte

Ewergrin
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 07:45 PM
It's just lighthearted fun. HF is where I found the test, many moons ago.

Cuchullain
Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evergreen wrote,

It's just lighthearted fun. HF is where I found the test, many moons ago.

...and would you believe it's still going.

Slainte

Aldgorn
Monday, November 28th, 2005, 03:06 PM
FLUFFYY!!!!

Not really :P

I am a modern heathen.. but tbh i consider myself traditionalist

Regards

Aldgorn

Preu▀ischer_Schatten
Wednesday, November 30th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Modern for me

Blutw÷lfin
Friday, December 2nd, 2005, 06:08 PM
Modern for me

Can you elaborate on this? Sorry, but I'm quite curious about our new members. :)

Since you say that you believe in the Ăsir I wonder if you are a Norse or AS Hei­inn ma­ur. To which God do you have a special connection?

Have you ever casted the Runes? Which F˙■ark do you prefer and work with?

And what do you think about the Armanen?

Sigurd
Friday, December 2nd, 2005, 07:24 PM
http://images.quizilla.com/T/Tysgjald/1054359574_Old-School.jpg

Preu▀ischer_Schatten
Friday, December 2nd, 2005, 08:28 PM
Can you elaborate on this? Sorry, but I'm quite curious about our new members. :)

Since you say that you believe in the Æsir I wonder if you are a Norse or AS Heiðinn maður. To which God do you have a special connection?

Have you ever casted the Runes? Which Fúþark do you prefer and work with?

And what do you think about the Armanen?

Okay, lol. I just started practicing religion again after being rleigionless since 1997. This happened this summer when I realized I agree with everything Odinism says as far as spirituality+ nature goes lol. That could've been said better sorry.

I'm not entirely sure what "Norse or AS Heiðinn maður" is...I'm trying really hard to learn everything, this all is just very new to me. I feel a connection with Freya right now, that probably seems typical for a girl lol.

I have casted runes and I've made one bindrune that has served me well. My runes are quite accurate. And...there are different kinds of Fúþark? OMG...I feel so ignorant, all I know is that I don't use Wyrd because it's a fairly recent developement and I prefer to work with the origonal Runes.

gah, how embarassing...*sigh*

Can you please explain or maybe direct me somewhere, where I can get some more information? Or books etc...I've been willing to learn about all this I've just been really overwhelmed by all the new information I guess.

Weg
Friday, December 2nd, 2005, 08:39 PM
"OMG"? Which one? :D

Preu▀ischer_Schatten
Friday, December 2nd, 2005, 08:41 PM
"OMG"? Which one? :D
Oh well aren't you clever! :rolleyes:

All of them!! (which would be OMGs...but ya know...)

:D

Blutw÷lfin
Friday, December 2nd, 2005, 09:03 PM
To be honest, I wonder how you can "practice" a religion without knowing its basics. :scratch: And I wonder, too, how you can cast Runes without having very much knowledge of them. Runes can be powerful, they should be used carefully. They are not just letters, they have a spiritual meaning, they can influence mind and body and making Bindrunor is something only people should do who know what they're actually doing. Combining them in a wrong way can cause a lot of trouble, which you may only notice when it's already too late.

Freja is one of the Vanir, so maybe your religion stated shouldn't be ┴satr˙. Do you actually know what ┴satr˙ is?

With "Wyrd" you mean the Runes of the Dusty Millers? Just another bullsh*t like the Blankrune that doesn't exist; an invention of some crazy New Age people like Blum.

Wyrd actually comes from weor■an, which is Old Saxon for "to become" and embodies the concept that everything is turning into something else while both being drawn in toward and moving out from its own origins and has NOTHING TO DO WITH RUNES.

Sorry, but I really have problems with people using the term "┴satr˙" for themselves without knowing what it is and what it is all about. There's a huge difference between ┴satr˙, Heathenism, Paganism, Vanatr˙, and Forn Si­ur although it might sound almost the same for the layman.

┴satr˙ is, as the term already hints, something sacred and hallow that shouldn't be misused. If you're interested in it - fine. Learn. Feel. Find out if it is the right path for you or if you just follow it because it's some kind of "cool" and fits your other interests; you have to perceive the Gods and their powers to really be an ┴satruar. Just picking one isn't the right way. Just starting casting Runes without deeper knowledge, isn't the way, either.

So please, before you call your faith again ┴satr˙, learn what it is, feel what it is and don't deal with it like it was some trendy new t-shirt you like to put on and which fits you very well. Call yourself "Heathen", when you feel a connection with Norse or Anglo-Saxon (AS) faith, but as long as you haven't made your choice, as long as the Gods haven't made their choice, please abstain from using such a powerful and important term. Thank you.

Blutw÷lfin
Friday, December 2nd, 2005, 09:16 PM
Can you please explain or maybe direct me somewhere, where I can get some more information? Or books etc...I've been willing to learn about all this I've just been really overwhelmed by all the new information I guess.

Start reading this forum would be the first step.

Sigurd
Friday, December 2nd, 2005, 09:34 PM
I think I will use this thread for discussion of my plans for the near future. A bit offtopic, but hey ;)

Aw...damn one hour and I need to be off to my Gand bloting Einheriar, it's drawing closer. I shall also call on the Disir.

I shall conduct galdor to Uruz and Fehu this evening, damnit, I've got so many things to do... and so little time... :doh :) ;)

Preu▀ischer_Schatten
Sunday, December 4th, 2005, 01:26 AM
To be honest, I wonder how you can "practice" a religion without knowing its basics. :scratch: And I wonder, too, how you can cast Runes without having very much knowledge of them. Runes can be powerful, they should be used carefully. They are not just letters, they have a spiritual meaning, they can influence mind and body and making Bindrunor is something only people should do who know what they're actually doing. Combining them in a wrong way can cause a lot of trouble, which you may only notice when it's already too late.

Freja is one of the Vanir, so maybe your religion stated shouldn't be Ásatrú. Do you actually know what Ásatrú is?

With "Wyrd" you mean the Runes of the Dusty Millers? Just another bullsh*t like the Blankrune that doesn't exist; an invention of some crazy New Age people like Blum.

Wyrd actually comes from weorþan, which is Old Saxon for "to become" and embodies the concept that everything is turning into something else while both being drawn in toward and moving out from its own origins and has NOTHING TO DO WITH RUNES.

Sorry, but I really have problems with people using the term "Ásatrú" for themselves without knowing what it is and what it is all about. There's a huge difference between Ásatrú, Heathenism, Paganism, Vanatrú, and Forn Siður although it might sound almost the same for the layman.

Ásatrú is, as the term already hints, something sacred and hallow that shouldn't be misused. If you're interested in it - fine. Learn. Feel. Find out if it is the right path for you or if you just follow it because it's some kind of "cool" and fits your other interests; you have to perceive the Gods and their powers to really be an Ásatruar. Just picking one isn't the right way. Just starting casting Runes without deeper knowledge, isn't the way, either.

So please, before you call your faith again Ásatrú, learn what it is, feel what it is and don't deal with it like it was some trendy new t-shirt you like to put on and which fits you very well. Call yourself "Heathen", when you feel a connection with Norse or Anglo-Saxon (AS) faith, but as long as you haven't made your choice, as long as the Gods haven't made their choice, please abstain from using such a powerful and important term. Thank you.

Okay...

Look, I know I'm new and I know you remember me from GDV. I appreciate all the help you've given me so far, what I don't appreciate is your doubt in how serious I take this sort of thing.

The reason why i went back into spirituality in the first place is because of this faith. I know I should know more and I want to learn everything, but like I said I have been overwhelmed, by all this new information and vy stuff going on in my life that no one here really needs to hear about (I mean school and life outside of the forum etc...)

This IS very important to me, and I am being as respectful as I can.

AND by the way, WYRD has been made into some wierd neo-pagan rune, I've at least studied that much to know that.

I realize I am not as educated as you are in all the different names of everything and I realize I've also made you quite angry but please take into consideration that I am still learning and I know I may make mistakes but I'm trying my best to learn as quickly as possible and obviously fit in here.

You have every right to say what you said, just realize I am not some conformist trendsetter that reads teen magazine or anything like that. I will change my profile because I need to learn more in order to fully figure this all out. What I said before on this about being a Modern Heathen was my quiz result. Just as a BTW.

Sigurd
Sunday, December 4th, 2005, 02:13 AM
OK, we do welcome learning. But as BW stated, the words "Asatru" or "Odinist" or even "Odalist" all present a deep meaning, and should not be used lightly. ;)

You may take a look around the page, look at pages linked, etc., maybe read a few books, and then present your rational and information-stuffed argument.

Preu▀ischer_Schatten
Sunday, December 4th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Of course i will do further reading and studying of this topic and I will admit I used the name too hastiliy. I've done alot of thinking about this, my beliefs are....how do I put this....well they don't have a name, they are my own but they are still based on my heritage. I do study Runes, I am spiritual etc.... but I don't think that my beliefs would be sumed up by a name.

It's amazing what a bit of thinking can do.

I apologize for any offense.

Sigurd
Sunday, December 4th, 2005, 06:07 AM
I, for one, am hard to take offence. ;)

i.e. been throw so much sh*t that nothing can knock me over except maybe a gun, car or other means of killing me. :P

Blutw÷lfin
Sunday, December 4th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Okay...

Look, I know I'm new and I know you remember me from GDV. I appreciate all the help you've given me so far, what I don't appreciate is your doubt in how serious I take this sort of thing.

Sorry, but if you would take it as serious as you state here you wouldn't have used a term to describe yourself without knowing what it is. If you would take it serious, you would have known some basics - like that there's a difference between Ăsir and Vanir, that there's more than some New Age Runes etc. You would have studied the topic before using it to describe yourself. Have you ever read the SŠmundar-Edda?

I realize I am not as educated as you are in all the different names of everything and I realize I've also made you quite angry but please take into consideration that I am still learning and I know I may make mistakes but I'm trying my best to learn as quickly as possible and obviously fit in here.

You have every right to say what you said, just realize I am not some conformist trendsetter that reads teen magazine or anything like that. I will change my profile because I need to learn more in order to fully figure this all out. What I said before on this about being a Modern Heathen was my quiz result. Just as a BTW.

Learning is good. Also changing your profile, thanks. But the term "Modern Heathen" does not take the duty from you to deal with the basics of this faith.

Instead of reading New Age books about Runes and Norse Gods you should, as mentioned above, buy yourself a copy of the Edda, read it, and try to understand it. Study the Hßvamßl - can you conform with this song? Study the Runes - but hand off from everything Ralph Blum has written and things that deal with "Wiccan runes" and things like that! Try to find some scientific works about them (as you can find here at BuB). Find out which Germanic faith is yours! Do you e.g. feel connected with Anglo-Saxon Heathendom, its deities, rituals and customs?

Aldgorn
Sunday, December 4th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Find out which Germanic faith is yours! Do you e.g. feel connected with Anglo-Saxon Heathendom, its deities, rituals and customs?

There are differences between the Germanic, Norse and AS deities. But this is usually in the name, they are the same deity in my opinion, and im sure most agree on that. E.g Odin, Woden, Wotan etc

There are differences in ritual and customs, especially the folklore and with regards to land spirits. You do also find the specific deities/gods of the different "peoples", for example Eostre was mainly found in England as was Weyland. (Though there is plenty to argue that it was not exclusive)

But Blutw÷lfin is quite right. You need to find out which Germanic faith is yours, i am personally Anglo-Saxon and use the appropriate names and try to stick as close as i can to the festivals, rituals and customs of my people.

But saying that, the similarities between the different "peoples" are very apparent and in the modern world we do incorporate alot from say the Norse through the Edda for example.

Hope that helps a bit.

Waes Hal

Aldgorn

Preu▀ischer_Schatten
Sunday, December 4th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Instead of reading New Age books about Runes and Norse Gods you should, as mentioned above, buy yourself a copy of the Edda, read it, and try to understand it. Study the Hßvamßl - can you conform with this song? Study the Runes - but hand off from everything Ralph Blum has written and things that deal with "Wiccan runes" and things like that! Try to find some scientific works about them (as you can find here at BuB). Find out which Germanic faith is yours! Do you e.g. feel connected with Anglo-Saxon Heathendom, its deities, rituals and customs?
I'm not reading any new age books, i stay as far away from that crap as possible. The Runes I've ready about are the old Nordic Runes not wiccan runes. I will continue my research.

Thanks.

Sifsvina
Wednesday, December 7th, 2005, 08:19 AM
I realized I agree with everything Odinism says as far as spirituality+ nature goes.... My runes are quite accurate. And...there are different kinds of F˙■ark?

I'm not reading any new age books, i stay as far away from that crap as possible. The Runes I've ready about are the old Nordic Runes not wiccan runes. I will continue my research.

Not to rag on you further and we all have to start somewhere (I started out very slowly myself;-) but I'm confused as to how you can know your rune readings are "quite accurate" (beyond the fact that anything can be "read") if you have not yet read a rune book that mentions the different F˙■ark. What book/s are you using? "wiccan" and "new age" writings often pass themselves off as legitimate by avoiding the more obvious give aways but are still very tainted, recognizing the subtle differences can take time:-( I know we have a thread with rune book recommendations around here somewhere:-)
And I would like to know where you have gotten your description of Odinism that you agree with so much. This is not criticizing you at all it's just that there are different descriptions out there and some vary a great deal!

:valkyrie

Blutw÷lfin
Wednesday, December 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM
The Runes I've ready about are the old Nordic Runes not wiccan runes.
Thanks.

And they didn't tell you about the different F˙■arks? Better throw them away.

Preu▀ischer_Schatten
Wednesday, December 7th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Not to rag on you further and we all have to start somewhere (I started out very slowly myself;-) but I'm confused as to how you can know your rune readings are "quite accurate" (beyond the fact that anything can be "read") if you have not yet read a rune book that mentions the different Fúþark. What book/s are you using? "wiccan" and "new age" writings often pass themselves off as legitimate by avoiding the more obvious give aways but are still very tainted, recognizing the subtle differences can take time:-( I know we have a thread with rune book recommendations around here somewhere:-)
And I would like to know where you have gotten your description of Odinism that you agree with so much. This is not criticizing you at all it's just that there are different descriptions out there and some vary a great deal!

:valkyrie

The definition of Odinism that I agree with so much happens to be on the Heathen Front. I appreciate your politeness, thanks. :) (rest is below)

And they didn't tell you about the different Fúþarks? Better throw them away.
Actually...they did. I read about The Futhark Runes In a BOOK only speaking about the Nordic/Germanic runes, alright? I'd give you a title...but I can't seem to find the book at the moment (we've been moving around rooms in the house *LITERALLY* so...once I find the book I'll get the title up there.

The book did give an introduction to The Runes and how they were used. I read everything in the book and did further research just to check what this person said in their book. I've even seen Wiccan runes and I can tell the difference, I've seen Hungarian Runes which have symbols in there directly based off of the Nordic ones, it's interesting.

Oh by the way....I made the runes myself, I'm not throwing them away. Besides that, that would basically disrespect the tree I've made them from. I would never throw them out.

They are accurate, I did a reading that is happening....It's personal though obviously.

I have pictures of my runes. I'll offer that as something you can see for now since I don't have the book source.

Blutw÷lfin
Wednesday, December 7th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Actually...they did. I read about The Futhark Runes In a BOOK only speaking about the Nordic/Germanic runes, alright?

The Germanic people and also the Norse people had different kind of F˙■arks, e.g. the Anglo Saxon one, the Elder and the Younger one...

freya3
Wednesday, December 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I came out old school...I think that is partly my cathloic upbringing behind some of that though LOL!

It seems, to me at least, that Europeans are far better knowledged @ Asatru/Odinism than some of the Americans I have spoken to (which is not many). I have only found that Odinism is the faith I want to follow about 2 months ago. I have started reading the Eddas and Havamal, but it is hard to do that w/a toddler running around... Also, I feel closer to Norse, but I feel I need to look @ all the Germanic faiths before deciding which is right for me.

The online sites have been the best resource for me. That and talking in forums like this one. Also, the Odin Lives broadcast is great to listen to. I wondered if there were any other shows like this one available online...I haven't really looked, but was wondering...

Preu▀ischer_Schatten
Wednesday, December 7th, 2005, 04:27 PM
The Germanic people and also the Norse people had different kind of Fúþarks, e.g. the Anglo Saxon one, the Elder and the Younger one...
I'm using the Elder Futhark.

**EDIT**

Though you said throw out the runes...not the books...uuuhhh....Sorry about that.