PDA

View Full Version : random heathen thoughts..

Allenson
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 03:47 PM
A heathen way has always held appeal to me--even before I was conscious of 'heathendom' or somewhat read on the various indigenous European pantheons. I saw pictures of runes in history books in school, the interlacing knot-art of Celts and Germaincs also or TV shows and articles about the Megalithic monuments in Europe and I was stirred internally.

I have a suspicion that there is 'something' to genetic memory. Combining modern genetic science with ancient cultural or spiritual realms may be a dicey affair....but can a Bantu remember Ing, Lugh or Frigga...or the forces that they 'personify'? The opposite could aslo be wondered: can an Irishman or New World Teuton recall Engai of African tales?

I didn't really "choose" a Heathen way. It's more of a case where it chose me. It is in my fiber and in my veins at a perhaps, molecular level; genetically remembered. It's about my reverence for all things Natural; the forces and powers of the world that act upon us at every moment and that are awesome to behold for we have little to no 'say' in the matters that envelop us. It keeps me decent and humble not heady and all cerebral-like filled with delusions and illusions of intelligencia and "civilization". It keeps me grounded for it is of the ground I walk on with muddy boots, yet it keeps me lifted for it is of the northerly breeze which sings through spruce and fir above me. I am quenched by its running stream behind my house and nourished by its corn from the garden and its turkey from the field.

Or something like that anyway... ;)

Ewergrin
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 09:12 PM
I am so glad that you decided to bestow upon us some of your insight and personal feelings regarding paganism/heathenism! I have been meaning to create a similar thread, so I will use this oppurtunity to describe a bit about myself and how I became involved with paganism.

I completely understand what you are saying about genetic memory, for I believe that I myself am an example of it. My family, as long as I have known who they were, are Roman Catholic, with the exception of my mother, who is Baptist. I was forced to attend Catholic School from the 3rd grade until the 8th grade. Even from the 3rd grade, I have severely rejected the teachings of Catholicism, and have always questioned my tutors (namely, the nuns and priest at my school) on the teachings, customs and even origin of Christianity itself. One day, in the 3rd grade, I asked my Religion teacher, Sister Ursela, "Who created God?" to which she replied in a very angry manner "No one created god, he has always been there and will always be there," after which she then sent me to the Principal (who later was arrested for numerous child molestation charges) for daring to question her teachings.

When I was a lad, I always kicked and screamed and fought with my parents on Sundays, because I sincerely never felt the need to waste an hour of my day (that hour could have been much better spent roaming in the woods and creek by my home, or playing WAR in the forest with my then best friend, an American Spaniard), especially when I knew that my parents were'nt really absorbing what was being taught during these ridiculous and boring sermons that the Catholic priests would give. After all, who really lives their lives in such a way? Jesus? Didn't they nail him to a cross for such behaviour?

I always felt at home in the forests of my youth. Even as I grew older, I spent as much of my free time as possible roaming the forests, building new forts, and actually spending quite, alone,, reflection time sitting in forts that I built next to the creek. What 14 year old does that? In fact, I first picked up The Hobbit when I was 14 years old, and I used to read it in my fort every day after school. The Lord of the Rings came afterwards, which I read in the same way: in my fort, listening to the water flow in the creek. I was amazed by the different runes that always adorned Tolkiens books and even when I didn't know exactly what they meant, I would carve them in the trees (in fact, to this day I still carve runes where I shouldn't...ask me about it later and I will tell), or on my walls, and yes, even on my arms. At one point, I found a runic alphabet and wrote my full name, in runes, on all of my books and textbooks.

Given my upbringing, and how I eventually started developing from own idealogy, genetic memory is the only answer that I have when asked why am I the way I am. it's quite simple. My pagan blood rejects everthing but its Indo-European ancestry and culture. This wicked religion from the Middle East is not mine, and how sad I am that so many of my ancestors were tricked into believing it over their indigenious heathen ways, which has almost completely eradicated the culture of my folk.

This brings me to today, where, because of my mixed Nordish ethnic heritage (I am English [Anglo-Saxon], Scottish/Irish [Keltic], German [Germanic] and French [Keltic/Germanic?]), I find myself borrowing different things from the different pagan beliefs of my ancestors. I mix Odalism (aka Wotanism/Odinism) with Wyrd. I believe without a doubt in the physical connection between blood and soil, man and earth. We are born directly from the earth. Our physical bodies are composed of the identical elements of our mother, the Earth. From soil I came, and into soil I shall become. I feel the changes in the seasons in my bones, and I hear the earth talking to me when I tread on her skin. Combining this with that of Wyrd, I believe that when I die, my physical body will return to soil, yet my life-force will also return to the soil, which will be dispersed into everything. Life-force does not die, it only moves on, and no one lays personal claim to their life-force. At the moment that our shield-skin (body) dies, life-force then returns to the environment and enters a new being, be it a human child being born, or the seeds of spearwort taking hold and starting to root into the soil, or perhaps an egg hatching.

I also believe that everything we know of exists on a web, and as the teachings of Wyrd go, you may start at any point in the web and find that you are at the centre. Meaning that everything you see is controlled by the moment before and after it. The actions that we take today are directly responsible for the actions that will happen tomorrow, even across the globe, and of course, the actions that we took today were created because of the actions that were taken yesterday. It is a web that passes through everything and affects everything.

I do not believe in the gods as dieties, but as lessons learned. I do not worship them, or pray to them, but I respect and admire them, and I learn from them. One of the great things about my beliefs, is that none of them require me to make active daily sacrifices. I'm not required to pray every day. I'm not required to give money to an organization every sunday, and for Gods sake (pun intended), no one had to be nailed to anything for me to believe (well, Odin hung on the tree for 9 days, but you get my drift ;).)

Most importantly about all of this, though, is that my beliefs are Indigenious to the peoples of Northern and Northwestern Europe. MY ancestors, MY volk, ME.

Or something like that anyways...;)

Allenson
Friday, April 16th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Ah yes, forts in the woods! A fond memory for myself as well. They were certainly integral in my bonding with the 'outdoors' and Nature as well.

I like how you said this:

"I do not believe in the gods as dieties, but as lessons learned. I do not worship them, or pray to them, but I respect and admire them, and I learn from them. One of the great things about my beliefs, is that none of them require me to make active daily sacrifices."

I seem to be somewhat similar in mind set. 'Lesssons learned' is an excellent interpretation and I just might apply this to my own undertandings. In many ways, I often think of the gods and goddesses as the personified...or deified rather...physical forces of Nature (wind, earth, animals, plants, etc.) but yet, I know that there is more to it than just this.

I'm going to think about this one a little bit. ;)

That's the beauty (or one of the many) about Heathenism--it's open to interpretation in my eyes and isn't bound to a strict set of codes and dogmatic BS.

I've always enjoyed hearing the routes that other folk have taken in their individual paths toward Heathendom. There often seem to be striking similarities and your story, Soil is no exception (though exceptional in it's own right! :) ). Just as from an anthropological/subracaial perspective, I believe that here in America, some of us exihibit a 'reemergent' pattern in mind set from an earlier time. It only runs strong in a few of us, both physically and mentally as perhaps just the right combination of reunited heritages is required to bring it out, but it is to be found nonetheless.

It's always a work in progress for me and I have much still to work out. :)

cheers!

Ewergrin
Friday, April 16th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Ah yes, forts in the woods! A fond memory for myself as well. They were certainly integral in my bonding with the 'outdoors' and Nature as well.

I can think of no better time of my youth than when I was building forts, making paths and being surrounded by nature. Oh well...there was that time I lost my virginity...but other than that... :smt005

I like how you said this:

Thank you very much. :)
One of the most intriguing aspects of heathendom, for me personally, is the lack of doctrine or set in stone rules to follow. As I grow older, and my understanding of nature and spirituality grows more acute, I find the need to bend and forge heathen belifs to fit my own personal style of paganism. Thankfully, heathenism/paganism allows me to make such adjustments as I see necessary.

I seem to be somewhat similar in mind set. 'Lesssons learned' is an excellent interpretation and I just might apply this to my own undertandings. In many ways, I often think of the gods and goddesses as the personified...or deified rather...physical forces of Nature (wind, earth, animals, plants, etc.) but yet, I know that there is more to it than just this.

I am in full agreement with you dalonord. I have said many times before that the Gods are basically deified versions of ourselves and natural forces. I mean, look how unstable and volatile (just like mankind and nature can be) the gods are. They have to be this way, because it is the only way that we can attempt to understand ourselves, which was, as I believe, the purpose in creating the gods to begin with! How foolish a notion it is to create a god who is perfect, infallible, almighty? No wonder so many people are miserable in their lives, trying to live according to the standards of a god that they themselves created, but which was nothing like them to begin with. It is an absurd notion, and it is one that could only have been begotten by Jews, who feel that they are the only people who could attain such imaginary heights to begin with.

Anyways, I don't mean to turn this into a Jew bashing post. I'd rather focus on the splendor that is heathendom. :)

I'm going to think about this one a little bit. ;)

I wish there were more folks like you, Dalonord. The average American today seems too scared, and probably incapable of actually sitting back and thinking.

That's the beauty (or one of the many) about Heathenism--it's open to interpretation in my eyes and isn't bound to a strict set of codes and dogmatic BS.

See what I wrote above. :)

I've always enjoyed hearing the routes that other folk have taken in their individual paths toward Heathendom. There often seem to be striking similarities and your story, Soil is no exception (though exceptional in it's own right! :) ). Just as from an anthropological/subracaial perspective, I believe that here in America, some of us exihibit a 'reemergent' pattern in mind set from an earlier time.

I think it goes back to what you mentioned previously, about "genetic memory." I sincerely believe that I had no choice in the matter. None of the worlds major religions, Christianity in particular, were even an option. My pagan blood simply rejects and revolts against them. I only wished this were the case for more people.

Also, I particularly liked when you said this...

It only runs strong in a few of us, both physically and mentally as perhaps just the right combination of reunited heritages is required to bring it out, but it is to be found nonetheless.

I like the idea of the right combination of reunited heritages.

It's always a work in progress for me and I have much still to work out. :)

cheers!

A work that will be in progress for as long as your sheild-skin walks this earth, and actually, will be in progress forever, since you and I will eventually die, but our life-forces will return to earth, recycle into something new, and forever shall this pattern continue...

WarMaiden
Saturday, April 17th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Nice posts by you both!

Hails

http://www.legacyofthecauldron.com/GinaGGiftsThumb.jpg

Ewergrin
Monday, April 19th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Just noticed this.

Thank you very much.
Any input?

WarMaiden
Monday, April 19th, 2004, 04:14 AM
I'll have some input soon lol, i've just spent the last few weeks writing for WAU zines and White Nationalist Baby so i'm drained of good words right now :smt015

Hails

Mistress Klaus
Wednesday, July 7th, 2004, 06:11 PM
:thumbsup :smt002
Yes I believe a 'heathen heart' is something you are born with with. I also had the opportunity to grow up surrounded by nature, home grown vegies, tank water etc & I believe it did nuture my instinct and awareness of the true beauty of the earth, its creatures and overall happiness...(which to me is obtained with an inner peace within yourself & being in tune & harmony with your surroundings.)

I am appalled at people who display no connection, respect or understanding for the marvels of nature. They see trees as pests, animals as a comodity, gardening for oldies..etc!.. :smt009 :smt013 ...Morons...
...and the world is getting worse....(actually I might might post a new Thread on my thoughts with this subject.. :smt001)

Anyway...it good to see that there are still like-minded people here!
:P

Allenson
Thursday, July 8th, 2004, 12:44 AM
:thumbsup :smt002
Yes I believe a 'heathen heart' is something you are born with with. I also had the opportunity to grow up surrounded by nature, home grown vegies, tank water etc & I believe it did nuture my instinct and awareness of the true beauty of the earth, its creatures and overall happiness...(which to me is obtained with an inner peace within yourself & being in tune & harmony with your surroundings.)

I am appalled at people who display no connection, respect or understanding for the marvels of nature. They see trees as pests, animals as a comodity, gardening for oldies..etc!.. :smt009 :smt013 ...Morons...
...and the world is getting worse....(actually I might might post a new Thread on my thoughts with this subject.. :smt001)

Anyway...it good to see that there are still like-minded people here!
:P

Ah SKADI! :waving

Indeed, alienation from Nature is something that I will never understand. I'm not sure of how it is in Australia but here in the States, it is rampant. :smt012

I watch daily as people bomb around in their gas-guzzlers, fat dumb and happy, eating grease and devoid of any spiritual connection with their surrounds and rather happy to consume as much paper, plastic, metal and all else as their incomes will allow--usually more than their incomes allow catually as credit card debt is out of control.

I work at a college and even here, I am surprised at the wanton consumerism and how wasteful these kids here can be. They slup down sodas like there's no tomorrow and then thoughtlessly toss the bottle or can into the trash bin instead of the recycle bin which is mere few feet away. I'm not a whole lot older than the students here (10 years or so) but I seem to remember quite a lot more consciousness on the part of my fellow college-mates when I was in school. College is the time for idealism and the only ideal I'm seeing from these post-modern kids is consumtion and gluttony.

I'm generalizing of course to some extent as there are certainly "green" thinkers out there but they seem to be becoming a proverbial endangered species.

Water conservation is a big deal with me as I sometimes need to be very careful with our well during dry periods as it is only 10' deep (three meters or there abouts). I sometimes imagine all the people in that hell-whole they call New York City flushing and showering and running their water for the hell of it and I wonder how many, or few rather actually know where their water comes from......

This one hits home as some of my ancestors of Upstate New York were exhumed in order to flood a valley and create a giant reservoir for New York City.....

rambling. sorry. ;)

Ewergrin
Thursday, July 8th, 2004, 12:45 AM
I wish more people would ramble here...

PsycholgclMishap
Friday, July 9th, 2004, 02:33 AM
I've been really busy lately with Meat Market Promotions and now Booze and Blasphemy radio. I haven't been online as much as I once was. One of the bands just cancelled and my first show is five (5) days away so I'm a little nervous.

I will reply further at a later time.

Allenson
Friday, July 9th, 2004, 05:36 PM
The Solstice was nice where I live. We've purchased our house and land only a year ago (July 17 is the one year anniversay) so I missed the Solstice here last summer....

Anyway, we have great skies here as we are on a hillside with our primary views looking north (of course! ;) ) as well as to the east. On the morning of the Solstice, I rose before the sun so that I could watch where she rose on this important astronomical day and mark her position. As luck would have it, it was a cloudless morning (and chilly at 38 degrees F or a little over 3 degrees C!) so my view of the Great Orbess was not hindered in any way. So, out I went with a hot mug of coffee and my compass.

Surise on that day, according to my almanac was slated for 4:17 AM Eastern Standard Time or 5:17 Eastern Daylight Savings Time (which we observe here in VT). We have a mountain to our east with a ridgeline running northward from the peak--so, we do not have a true horizon and I had to wait a few minutes longer for the Sun to rise above said ridge. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of 5:23 EDT and she crested the ridge at a bearing of around 48 degrees based on true north (as opposed to magnetic north which is around 16 degrees to the west of true north in my neck of the woods).

Oh no, it wasn't all scientific for this fellow. :smt004 I got my share of thanks in for her warm blessings and I asked her to look after our garden as best she could (and also to put in a good word with the Rain Gods so that our well would stay full! ;) ).

I would like to build a small henge with some of our native stone in our back field on the hillside and now I know where to place the Summer Solstice stone. Maybe, in the distant future some archeologist will dig this up (assuming I get it built of course) and he or she can speculate on the inhabitants of this funny little place in the early 21st century. :smt005

Mistress Klaus
Sunday, July 11th, 2004, 06:57 PM
:smt007 Dalonord....
I've said this once...I've said it twice and I will say it again :smt003 ....Damn I like your way of thinking & inner spirit. :cheekkiss Nice looking too. :smt002

Allenson
Monday, July 12th, 2004, 07:07 PM
:smt007 Dalonord....
I've said this once...I've said it twice and I will say it again :smt003 ....Damn I like your way of thinking & inner spirit. :cheekkiss Nice looking too. :smt002

Ah, and the feelings are mutual on all accounts, fair lady. :pepper

-My first time using the dancing pepper! LOL

I will retun the kiss. :) :cheekkiss