PDA

View Full Version : Is This Bronchitis?

Ewergrin
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Apparently I either have bronchitis or some other sort of nasty chest infection. Monday night I could feel myself getting sicker and sicker by the minute, and by bed time I felt as though there were a lb of butter caked in my lungs, which I have been slowly coughing out ever since.
I have health insurance, but I really hate seeing the doctor, so I put it off until it becomes a last resort. As I write this, I can feel physical weakness spreading through out my body and a fever building strength. I am antsy and agitated, and it seems as though the spirits attacking my soul know that I am writing about them, because the feeling is growing ever so intense. I look around and everything is starting to blur. I feel somewhat like I did when I used to pop pills in early high-school years. Now there is a dull and heavy pain originating in my lower back. I wonder if this is in part a reaction to taking too much DayQuil? I must lie down...

Anne14
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Hope you feel better soon. Bronchitis sucks.

And yeah, you can get that cloudy, stoned feeling from too much Dayquil.

WarMaiden
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Bronchitis Symptoms & Signs

The symptoms of either type of bronchitis include:

Cough that produces mucus (sputum); if yellow-green in color, you are more likely to have a bacterial infection; occasionally, the sputum is blood streaked, which must be evaluated by a doctor
Shortness of breath worsened by exertion or mild activity
Wheezing
Fatigue
Fever -- usually low-grade
Chest discomfort
Even after acute bronchitis has cleared, you may have a dry, nagging cough that lingers for several weeks.

Additional symptoms of chronic bronchitis include:

Frequent respiratory infections (such as colds or the flu)
Ankle, feet, and leg swelling
Blue-tinged lips from low levels of oxygen

WarMaiden
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 10:17 PM
DIETARY RECOMMENDATIONS

Drink lots of fluids. This helps loosen up any mucus in your lungs and helps you to breathe easier.
Chicken soup can help clear airways
Chew on a chili pepper or eat a spicy Mexican meal. Do so three times a week if breathing problems are chronic.
Sprinkle ten to twenty drops of Tobasco sauce in a glass of water and drink it or gargle with it.
Add whole peeled garlic cloves to your soup. Heating the garlic in a microwave oven first helps preserve alliin, the primary therapeutic substance.
Decrease your salt intake

WarMaiden
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 10:18 PM
A well balanced diet is a more natural source of nutrients and it is best to get as much as possible from food. If you are not eating a varied mixture of the main food groups or foods high in a certain nutrient needed for your health situation then make up the remaining through vitamin and mineral supplementation

Vitamin C: 200 milligrams

NON DIETARY TIPS

Blowing up balloons could help you relieve some of your symptoms
Take a hot shower. The steam helps loosen up mucus in your lungs.
Do not smoke, smoking irritates the bronchiole tubes and causes vessels to constrict.
Try to exercise daily.

Ewergrin
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Well, I took a shower, and I felt better for a little while. Now, the same feelings are returning. My entire body aches, and to touch it with even a finger feels as though I was smacked with a sledgehammer in that spot. I need :smt030

WarMaiden
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Go To Bed

http://www.warddraw.com/STOCK/Medicine%20and%20Health/images/1124WS%20sick%20in%20bed.jpg

Ewergrin
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:30 PM
LOL, well, I would, but I already slept most of the day away, which I never do. I am not a night owl, so when I sleep during the day, it is always an uneasy rest, and 99% of the time, if I am sleeping, and there is daylight outside, I will wake up with a huge headache. In fact, sleeping late, for me, is usually about 7 am!

WarMaiden
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Well lay on the sofa and listen to some music or watch some Jew Tube, nobody close by who can bring you some chicken soup?

http://www.fbckenner.org/cartoon/slideshows/winter2002/images/sick.gif

WarMaiden
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:41 PM
This is vile but may make you laugh....

http://home.no.net/mbekkelu/img/humor/sick.jpg

Ewergrin
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:46 PM
This is vile but may make you laugh....

http://home.no.net/mbekkelu/img/humor/sick.jpg

It worked, lol.
My kind of humor!

WarMaiden
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Uh oh!

http://www.thegorillanest.co.uk/coffeebreak/funnystills/rude01.jpg

Ewergrin
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Well lay on the sofa and listen to some music or watch some Jew Tube, nobody close by who can bring you some chicken soup?

Unfortunately, no. All of my relatives live about an hour from here. :(
If I had the strength, I'd go to the grocery and buy some, but alas, I am too weak!

Ewergrin
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Uh oh!

http://www.thehumorarchives.com/attachment_files/9_nt.jpg

I have never understood why people feel like image linking is stealing. Idiots.

Ewergrin
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Uh oh!

Sick!

WarMaiden
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:49 PM
http://www.snakeysfreestuff.com/pictures/pictures/cartoons/untitled2.jpg

Ewergrin
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Question:

Is it ok to drink coffee? I had to cups this morning and I felt better, but I don't know if it's a good thing to have the caffeine?

WarMaiden
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Uh oh!

Sick!

Sick indeed but very funny lmao

WarMaiden
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:55 PM
http://whitelaw.rac-usa.org/cs.gif

WarMaiden
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Question:

Is it ok to drink coffee? I had to cups this morning and I felt better, but I don't know if it's a good thing to have the caffeine?

In addition, the drinking of caffeinated, carbonated drinks may exacerbate common childhood ailments such as ear infections and respiratory irritations that produce colds, bronchitis, and asthma.

Caffeine and carbonated beverages can trigger "refluxing", in which a faulty sphincter muscle mechanism allows the acid contents of the upper stomach to back up and irritate portions of the respiratory tract (including the throat and ears.

This is for kids so not sure, let me keep looking!

WarMaiden
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Self-Care Steps for Bronchitis

Over-the-counter cough suppressants and decongestants may help relieve the nagging cough. Some cough medicines contain antihistamines or other preparations you don't need or want when you have bronchitis. Look for a cough preparation that has only the cough suppressant dextromethorphan. If you are coughing up mucus, you might also try one with the expectorant guaifenesin.

The best treatment for bronchitis is to drink plenty of fluids. By drinking six to eight glasses of clear liquids (not milk) a day, you will help to keep the mucus from gumming up your bronchial tubes. When the mucus is thin and fluid, it's easier to clear away by coughing. When your bronchial passages are clear and the inflammation has gone away, your cough will go away too.

Get plenty of rest. Listen to your body. You may be able to continue your daily routine while you have bronchitis, but don't overdo it. If you feel tired, rest.

Avoid alcohol and caffeine. They can make you lose body fluid, which you need to keep the mucus thin.
Call your doctor if your cough lasts longer than 3 weeks.

WarMaiden
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Continuing cough following a cold or flu, without fever or problems breathing
Use self-care

Cough without fever or problems breathing, making sleep difficult
Call DR's office

Recent exposure to tuberculosis or pertussis
Go to the DR

Fever and shaking, chills
Call 911

Coughing up blood, chills
Call 911

Shortness of breath, chest discomfort, and wheezing, chills
Call 911

Ewergrin
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Fever and shaking, chills
Call 911

Got em, not calling 911.

Coughing up blood, chills
Call 911

Not yet, luckily.

Shortness of breath, chest discomfort, and wheezing, chills
Call 911

All of the above, STILL not calling 911, lol.

WarMaiden
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 12:15 AM
tut tut at least go to the Dr you silly goose :smt017

Ewergrin
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 12:21 AM

Oh, wow, I just noticed that! How did you do that?

WarMaiden
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 12:22 AM

Oh, wow, I just noticed that! How did you do that?

The wonders of Photoshop :smt007

Ewergrin
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Aww, you are sweet.
You've only been a member for a very short time and already you have contributed more than anyone else! Thank you!

WarMaiden
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Aww, you are sweet.
You've only been a member for a very short time and already you have contributed more than anyone else! Thank you!

Most welcome :smt003

Ewergrin
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 12:31 AM
I think that instead of having coffee, I will drink many cups of hot water or tea. Wait, tea has caffeine, so maybe just water.

WarMaiden
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 01:01 AM
I think that instead of having coffee, I will drink many cups of hot water or tea. Wait, tea has caffeine, so maybe just water.

Some water or juice... Even some hot water and lemon!

Enjoy~

Ewergrin
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Well... it's almost midnight here in the U.S. and after what appeared to have been a severe spike downwards in condition, I feel a little bit better.
The coughing has left me with an insane headache, sore through and severe chest pains. So I went to the grocery store, bought a $13(!) bottle of ibuprofen for the headaches and general pain relief, Sprite (always seems to help settle my stomach a bit, plus it contains no caffeine) and a large tub of orange sherbert, for my sore throat. I feel a bit better! Tomorrow I am going to the clinic where I assume the doctor will furnish me with a prescription for some sort of antibiotic, if indeed I have bronchitis or some sort of viral infection.

Anne14
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 06:42 AM
omg - those jokes were so funny! lmao :smt005

Good luck at the doc's tomorrow Soil - hope he gives you a decongestant -that's what I always ask for, helps right away.

Ewergrin
Friday, April 16th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Well.. I went to the doctor today. Turns out I have Sinusitis and Bronchitis.
I am on Doxycycline (antibiotic) as well as Hydrocodone (I am allergic to codeine) and Guaifin (prescription sinus decongestant.)

Today, fortunately, has been the easiest day of my horrible sickness, and now that I am on medications, I expect the days to get easier.

Just an update!

Anne14
Friday, April 16th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Sinus infections suck and they're hard as hell to get rid of, make sure you take your meds as directed and get right back to the doctor if you still don't feel 100% by the time your prescription is up. I used to suffer constant sinus infections until I had sinus surgery - haven't had one since.

Glad to hear your starting to feel better!

WarMaiden
Friday, April 16th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery "good luck"!

hails

Ewergrin
Sunday, April 25th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Well, I am still sick, somewhat. This is very odd for me to be this sick for this long. Nothing like the furor of its original state, of course, but conjestion and coughing fits still persist.

Allenson
Monday, April 26th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Well, I am still sick, somewhat. This is very odd for me to be this sick for this long. Nothing like the furor of its original state, of course, but conjestion and coughing fits still persist.

That's right--I meant to post here and ask how you are feeling. I see it's still around though. :smt012

I hope you have plenty of sick days to take.

I had strep-throat once (right after high school) and it lasted for several weeks--surely my worst bout with illness.

For any bronchial ailment, I always prescribe (and ingest) a mug full of hot mulled apple cider with a healthy infusion of a dark spiced rum (of your choice ;) ) at least once a day. :smt004

Ewergrin
Monday, April 26th, 2004, 09:57 PM

That's right--I meant to post here and ask how you are feeling. I see it's still around though. :smt012

I hope you have plenty of sick days to take.

I had strep-throat once (right after high school) and it lasted for several weeks--surely my worst bout with illness.

For any bronchial ailment, I always prescribe (and ingest) a mug full of hot mulled apple cider with a healthy infusion of a dark spiced rum (of your choice ;) ) at least once a day. :smt004

That sounds like a truly delightful concoction. I love spiced rum, prefferably Castillos.

Allenson
Wednesday, April 28th, 2004, 10:43 PM
That sounds like a truly delightful concoction. I love spiced rum, prefferably Castillos.

Indeed it is and I highly recommend it. :smt002

I'll have to try Castillos if I can find it. I usually go with the standards--Captain Morgan's and Myers...

Ewergrin
Wednesday, April 28th, 2004, 11:36 PM
I cannot recall at the moment, but I'm rather certain that Castillos is one of the cheaper, less "elite" spiced rumes. :P

Nefertari
Wednesday, June 9th, 2004, 03:14 PM
It seems there's a nasty and very rapid form of what you had going through our office lately, picking off people by the dozens! (we have 1000+ employees here)

I got hit, along w/a few others over Memorial Day weekend. Fortunately, I know my body well enough to get my arse down to the Dr. within 24 hrs. Being asmathic means that you take care of the crap at the first sign of chest problems, otherwise it turns ugly, usually into walking pneumonia by day 4.

Zythromicin works wonders. :smt003

Glad to see you recovered.

Ewergrin
Wednesday, June 9th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks, I am, too. :P

Mac Seafraidh
Thursday, June 17th, 2004, 08:43 PM
When I breath sometimes there is a whistling sound coming out, even a clicking one. That is more internal though. If I force out a breath of air, total wheez. As I have started going back to the gym lately it is hard for me to workout without getting a breath. I know it is not asthma, maybe it is just normal since I smoke butts.

Nefertari
Thursday, June 17th, 2004, 09:00 PM
When I breath sometimes there is a whistling sound coming out, even a clicking one. That is more internal though. If I force out a breath of air, total wheez. As I have started going back to the gym lately it is hard for me to workout without getting a breath. I know it is not asthma, maybe it is just normal since I smoke butts.

hmmm.......is it accompanied with a cough? :smt017

Mac Seafraidh
Thursday, June 17th, 2004, 09:01 PM

hmmm.......is it accompanied with a cough? :smt017

It can sometimes, but I forgot to mention I also have Acid Relux.

Nefertari
Thursday, June 17th, 2004, 09:24 PM
It can sometimes, but I forgot to mention I also have Acid Relux.

That may have something to do with it, but this sounds more like your lungs. Acid Reflux usually destroys the esophagus, mouth and stomach. If you are weezing w/a cough, it could be that you are developing chronic bronchitis, which would be associated with your smoking habit. Also, if you reside in a humid climate, the chances of developing allergy-related asthma increase.....even if you never had asthma before, like me. :smt016

However, I'm not a physician and it may be a good idea for you to get that checked out.

Hope you clear up soon. :)

Mac Seafraidh
Thursday, June 17th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Yes, I do live a humid climate, but that has only been for a year and a few month. I imagine asthma must be really hard to deal with. The air in Louisiana is so dry and that is one of the reason why I seek to go Northeast, but anxiety is keeping me from that. So it is a whole different story.

Ewergrin
Friday, June 18th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Yes, I do live a humid climate, but that has only been for a year and a few month. I imagine asthma must be really hard to deal with. The air in Louisiana is so dry
What are you talking about?

Louisiana is in a sub-tropical climate zone. Air is only more wet and humid at the equator than here.

and that is one of the reason why I seek to go Northeast, but anxiety is keeping me from that. So it is a whole different story.

And that story is?

Mac Seafraidh
Friday, June 18th, 2004, 06:22 AM
What are you talking about? Louisiana is in a sub-tropical climate zone. Air is only more wet and humid at the equator than here.

And that story is?

sorry neighbor :smt003 I just still have not met anyone here yet,thus I am getting really depressed having no social life for a year and a couple of months has really made me an angry person. Not to anyone on these forums, but I don't know if I told you that I was fired from my job for a reason that I probably reported to OSHA. People in this town are rude as hell. I just stay in all the time since I am slighty agoraphobic and all.

Yeah I guess you are right about Louisiana's air, but I dislike it because I can hardly breathe it(oxymoron lol), but I think you kinda get the point. I was put on an inhaler due to my wheezing that barely helped. It was sure hot today lol.

The story is that I am afraid to move, but at the same time I cannot. My anxiety,OCD(obsessive-compulsive disorder),GAD(generalized anxiety disorder), and possible bipolarality(if that is a word,coined maybe :smt017 )I am fed up living with my parents at 22, that's all. Maybe I need to be rediagnosed.I have been on meds for so long it is not funny.Mostly likely I will be on them for the rest of my life. :smt088

Nefertari
Friday, June 18th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Yes, I do live a humid climate, but that has only been for a year and a few month. I imagine asthma must be really hard to deal with. The air in Louisiana is so dry and that is one of the reason why I seek to go Northeast, but anxiety is keeping me from that. So it is a whole different story.

heh.....I live in the Northeast and believe me.....it's anything but dry! ;) We get nailed like the south when it comes to humidity, but I still love it. :D

Now, get yourself to the Dr., k? :)

Mac Seafraidh
Friday, June 18th, 2004, 08:28 PM

heh.....I live in the Northeast and believe me.....it's anything but dry! ;) We get nailed like the south when it comes to humidity, but I still love it. :D

Now, get yourself to the Dr., k? :)

They physician told me to call a Pulminologist(think it is spelt right). I still have not which is a shame since it has been two months since them.

Yeah I loved the Northeast weather though. See I lived in all these places in this order lol:MA,NH,NY,NH,MD,LA. So moving to the deep south was hard for me and am still struggling. Ich kaempfe jeden Tag. Das ist mein Kampf.

Nefertari
Friday, June 18th, 2004, 08:37 PM
They physician told me to call a Pulminologist(think it is spelt right). I still have not which is a shame since it has been two months since them.

Dear Gods Man! What are you waiting for.....your lung to pop out? :doh ;)

Mac Seafraidh
Friday, June 18th, 2004, 10:49 PM

Dear Gods Man! What are you waiting for.....your lung to pop out? :doh ;)

Well, I am a little worried. The good news is I am still alive :smt003

Ælfhere
Sunday, April 30th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I'm slowly recovering from a two-week long bronchitis episode. I haven't been this sick since I was six years old with strep throat. The doctor gave me some antibiotics and cough pills and said it probably had something to do with quitting cigarettes. I remember my wife complained about getting sick for a time after she quit smoking too. Anyway, it sucks and I hope I never have this again! :sick:

The Horned God
Saturday, May 6th, 2006, 01:52 AM
I had broncitus for a couple of weeks about 3 years ago. I've never been that sick for an extended period of time, before or since, at times I had so much phlem and water on my chest I thought it was touch and go if I'd survive at all!
I think it was kind of like pnuemonia.

I dragged myself in to the Uni doctor only to be told she "didn't believe in anti-biotics" I would have been fuming if I hadn't been so ill. I could hardly breath at night and my throat wasn't quite right for a couple of months after.

nordicdusk
Saturday, May 6th, 2006, 10:52 AM
That sounds so stupid not much help to you at all and she was a doctor.

Sigrid
Saturday, May 6th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Every year my family has the flu vaccination. It prevents flu so you completely avoid getting into this dangerous situation from a flu virus. You can still get a cold but if you're healthy enough and don't smoke it won't go to your chest and the cold virus is not the flu virus, which should be avoided if at all possible as it weakens the entire system and can damage the heart. Also as you go along you build up an immunity to many flu virus mutations so it's a good thing all round.

No, getting the flu is not a good idea. And antibiotics and vaccines are two totally different things. Antibiotics kill off only secondary infection and have no effect on viruses. If the infection has become like Vidarsson's or The Horned God's then antibiotics can save your life. Which is what they are for.

I think stress has a lot to do with getting sick after giving up smoking, Vidarsson. You will be a lot stronger when your lungs have renewed themselves and your system has adjusted to dealing with stress in other ways. I don't think stopping smoking makes you sick, it's the adjustment of stopping that makes you stressed and vulnerable to infection. But the good thing is you aren't smoking anymore.