PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of the Pentagram

WarMaiden
Tuesday, April 13th, 2004, 12:56 AM
The pentagram has long been associated with mystery and magic. It is the simplest form of star shape that can be drawn unicursally - with a single line - hence it is sometimes called the Endless Knot. Other names are the Goblin's Cross, the Pentalpha, the Witch's Foot, the Devil's Star and the Seal of Solomon (more correctly attributed to the hexagram). It has long been believed to be a potent protection against evil and demons, hence a symbol of safety, and was sometimes worn as an amulet for happy homecoming. The potency and associations of the pentagram have evolved throughout history. Today it is an ubiquitous symbol of neo-pagans with much depth of magickal and symbolic meaning.

To the Gnostics, the pentagram was the 'Blazing Star' and, like the crescent moon was a symbol relating to the magic and mystery of the nighttimes sky.

For the Druids, it was a symbol of Godhead.

In Egypt, it was a symbol of the "underground womb" and bore a symbolic relationship to the concept of the pyramid form..

The Pagan Celts ascribed the pentagram to the underground goddess Morrigan.

Early Christians attributed the pentagram to the Five Wounds of Christ and from then until medieval times, it was a lesser-used Christian symbol. Prior to the time of the Inquisition, there were no "evil" associations to the pentagram. Rather it's form implied Truth, religious mysticism and the work of The Creator.

In Medieval times, the "Endless Knot" was a symbol of Truth and was a protection against demons. It was used as an amulet of personal protection and to guard windows and doors.

The pentagram with one point upwards symbolised summer; with two points upwards, it was a sign for winter.

During the long period of the Inquisition, there was much promulgation of lies and accusations in the "interests" of orthodoxy and elimination of heresy. The Church lapsed into a long period of the very diabolism it sought to oppose. The pentagram was seen to symbolise a Goat's Head or the Devil in the form of Baphomet and it was Baphomet whom the Inquisition accused the Templars of worshipping.
In the purge on witches, other horned gods such as Pan became equated with the Devil (a Christian concept) and the pentagram - the folk-symbol of security - for the first time in history - was equated with "evil" and was called the Witch's Foot.

The Old Religion and it's symbols went underground, in fear of the Church's persecution, and there it stayed, gradually withering, for centuries.

AFTER THE INQUISITION
In the foundation of Hermeticism , in hidden societies of craftsmen and scholarly men, away from the eyes of the Church and it's paranoia, the proto-science of alchemy developed along with it's occult philosophy and cryptical symbolism. Graphical and geometric symbolism became very important and the period of the Renaissance emerged. The concept of the microcosmic world of Man as analogous to the macrocosm, the greater univese of spirit and elemental matter became a part of traditional western occult teaching, as it had long been in eastern philosophies." As above, so below" The pentagram, the 'Star of the Microcosm', symbolised Man within the microscosm, representing in analogy the Macrocosmic universe.

The upright pentagram bears some resemblance to the shape of man with his legs and arms outstretched. In Tycho Brahe's Calendarium Naturale Magicum Perpetuum (1582)occurs a pentagram with human body imposed and the Hebrew for YHSVH associated with the elements. An illustration attributed to Brae's contemporary Agrippa (Henry Cornelius Agrippa von Nettesheim) is of similar proportion and shows the five planets and the moon at the centre point - the genitalia. Other illustrations of the period by Robert Fludd and Leonardo da Vinci show geometric relationships of man to the universe. Later, the pentagram came to be symbolic of the relationship of the head to the four limbs and hence of the pure concentrated essence of anything (or the spirit) to the four traditional elements of matter - earth, water, air and fire - spirit is The Quintessence.

No known graphical illustration associating the pentagram with evil appears until the nineteenth century. Eliphaz Levi Zahed (actually the pen name of Alphonse Louis Constant, a defrocked French Catholic abbé) illustrates the upright pentagram of microcosmic man beside an inverted pentagram with the goat's head of Baphomet. It is this illustration and juxtaposition that has led to the concept of different orientations of the pentagram being "good" and "evil".

http://www.tyrvald.com/pagan/art/pentagram.gif

WarMaiden
Tuesday, April 13th, 2004, 12:59 AM
http://www.rac-usa.org/wau/mynewtat.jpg

WarMaiden
Tuesday, April 13th, 2004, 01:00 AM
My tat was still bleeding in that picture, i freakin hate how crap of a job was done on that tat, i'm gonna get it redone when i get a chance to visit my tattoo artist in Holland!

Grrrr

Anne14
Tuesday, April 13th, 2004, 01:04 AM
That was pretty interesting. I wondered when the Christians turned it around and made it into something evil.

WarMaiden
Tuesday, April 13th, 2004, 01:06 AM
My husbands tat guy is AMAZING but he is a born again and refused to do my pent tattoo "damn it still makes me so mad" he does all sorts of nigger shit, drug logos etc. and even refused to do anti semitic on Mike, no offense to any xtians here, but he is the main reason why xtians suck!

Hails

Anne14
Tuesday, April 13th, 2004, 01:09 AM
What a dork! I never knew he refused to do it!!! :pfft

WarMaiden
Tuesday, April 13th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Yes he did the Jesus freak :pfft

Ewergrin
Tuesday, April 13th, 2004, 01:45 AM
My husbands tat guy is AMAZING but he is a born again and refused to do my pent tattoo "damn it still makes me so mad" he does all sorts of nigger shit, drug logos etc. and even refused to do anti semitic on Mike, no offense to any xtians here, but he is the main reason why xtians suck!

Hails

Worry not. I will not knowingly allow them here. :nono :crucify
:fviking :pope

WarMaiden
Tuesday, April 13th, 2004, 02:54 AM

:thumbsup

Ewergrin
Wednesday, April 14th, 2004, 01:12 AM

Ha! I just realized, fellow Skadi administrator, Milesian, and die-hard Keltic reactionary, is a devout Christian, but we won't hold it against him. ;)