PDA

View Full Version : Where Did Childhood Go Wrong?

Nachtengel
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
think about children you know today. How often do they go "out to play"? Over the past 25 years there has been an enormous change in young children's leisure experiences ... So for most 21st-century children, the word "play" doesn't mean outdoor, physical pursuits or indoor creativity: it means sitting down at a PlayStation, mindlessly gazing at television, or communicating virtually with friends via Bebo or MSN. Instead of first-hand experiences and real interaction, they have ersatz experiences on screens.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/10/03/do0303.xml

So true. :| I take my little boy out every day and I am hoping when he grows big enough he will make friends and play like a normal child. No wonder there are so many fat and unhealthy children today, if they're raised in front of the TV and Playstation.

ladybright
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 09:15 PM
There are reasons that we do not own a video game system. My children like books ( the younger one thinks that they are tasty), drawing, climbing and rolling around outside. People need to take more care with some aspects of childrearing and loosen up with others.

While my daughter (4 1/2 years) was visiting her Oma they went out with her second cousin one year younger. My daughter was happily climbing a tree and her cousin started to get upset. So my daughter says that she will help her up.:D The cousin says 'You will fall and hurt yourself.' Then she goes running to her Grandmother for help. That grandmother turns to Oma and asks if my daughter needs help getting out of the tree. 'Why would she. She is only four feet up and she got there herself'. Kids need to be OK having fun and getting skinned knees.

Oski
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I was a free roaming child. I played and ventured even into the wilderness.

Neighborhoods used to be safe, now with more savage "minorities" my kids can't walk to the store without walking past drug dealers and homeless drunks. Video games are the least of my worries...

Deary
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 09:47 PM
In America there is a lot of advertizing for LeapFrog electronic toys designed to help children learn. They are well-known for their video games which are geared towards children as young as three years old. Recently, I've been seeing toys like dance pads and such to help children move while they play their video games. All I'm thinking at this point is, "Whatever happened to human interaction, playing outside, and why the fixation on video games?" My second-cousins are obsessed with them. The last Thanksgiving I saw them, they weren't interested in playing outside or doing anything with the family. They just wanted to play on their Nintendo DS. I admit, I liked video games when I was young, but my mother only let me for a few minutes a day. Afterwards, she forced me out of the house to go run and play.

Athalwulf
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I was a free roaming child. I played and ventured even into the wilderness.

Neighborhoods used to be safe, now with more savage "minorities" my kids can't walk to the store without walking past drug dealers and homeless drunks. Video games are the least of my worries...

My neighborhood friends and I used to spend many hours outside playing baseball, football (American), football (soccer), skateboarding, riding our bikes, shooting bottle rockets (plastic bottles filled with a little bit of water and the rest air) into the air with an air compressor and some PVC pipes, and even building crossbows (yes, they actually worked).

Once we got into middle school those activities pretty much ceased, but we still don't sit in front of the TV or computer at all hours. I've had video game systems since Sega Genesis came out, and I was very young at the time, but I only play video games when I'm bored and have absolutely nothing to do.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a purely Germanic neighborhood, but as I'm getting ready to move out, there are more and more non-Europeans and criminals moving in.

Ĉmeric
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 10:24 PM
This is what video games looked like when I was a kid:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Pong.png

It got tiring pretty quickly. At the time I didn't see much future for the personal computer.

BeornWulfWer
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I used to love playing outside as a child!

If I wasn't making go-carts which fell apart at the least bit of pressure (I did make them on my own...and I was 7!! What do you expect?), then I was chasing after my big sisters pet rabbit which was always escaping. Knocking on mates doors to see if they wanted to play He-man or Thundercats for real! My sisters used to tie me to lamp-posts and go off for her tea, all the while I was still tied up. :D
Getting my BMX and bombing down the hill and forgetting which one was the back brake.
Yep, you guessed it! Went right over the handlebars and had my face full of grazes and bruises for the next few weeks.

I could go on and fill up a whole screen of the fun we had as kids outside; rain or sunshine.

We used to run off when my Dad came home from work at 7ish and drive him mad as he had to find us all and catch us.

:lol

My first computer was an Acorn which had Space Invaders. It hardly loaded and was not at all interesting to play.

The gaming and entertainment industry, now, has sucked in the souls of a whole generation and forced it to live with its constant 'fun'.

My Daughter is getting to the stage where she wants to get out and about outside in the garden. We have lots of toys and activities to do, but I wouldn't want her running around the neighbourhood like I did at her age.

Far to dangerous.

Static Matt
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008, 02:13 AM
:(:(:(:(:(
DOCH!
But I really like my video games!;)

QuietWind
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008, 02:21 AM
In my home my kids have a tv and video game time limit. They do not even get close to ever reaching their limit, because they are too busy playing other things or engaged in activities. I think they maybe watch tv or play a video game about 4 hours a week on average.

Mrs. Lyfing
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008, 03:59 AM
I played a lot outside when I was a kid. My favorite was twirling my baton out in the yard with my little radio, making up routines. :D

When I was 7 I won 2nd place for making your own routine twirling that thing. ;)

My dad was always bringing home stray dogs so I was always outside playing with them, and even riding my pit bull I grew up with...Ethel...:D She was a red pit, beautiful. We had her 15 years. I use to ride her back, as a pony ride, haha and she would just let me. :D

Me and my husband would walk the rail road tracks in town, walk to cool little spots we found, and we went swimming a lot. We were like that song " meet in the middle " cause we were always walking.

I started mowing grass young ( pushing ) so I spent a lot of time outside mowing as a kid.

My dad does the hugest garden ever, he does all his flowers, mulching, and benching surrounding the garden, and even grows sun flowers behind the garden ...oh I got off topic but I grew up running around the garden with him trying to teach me everything. Needless to say I broke many beans and shucked many corn in my young days.

So, yea I was outside all the time, I had swing sets and bikes and everything I needed to be the silly girl I was.

I even slide down a huge hill on snow on a paste board box my dad made for my sled. I was about 5 :D He said " You should of seen the look on your face "

My kids watch TV, no doubt, but not just whatever whenever. They would hit the door running though instead of being inside. When I lived in a place with a big yard they stayed outside all day ( summer ) It was so nice. Kept them busy, they were having a blast, and they were tired when they came in. ;)

So, if you want to do a really good thing, throw out the play stations.

If your lucky enough to have a nice yard, invest in a good fence where they would be safe to play. Buy a bunch of balls and there ya go! Your set! :)

They get exercise, they get practice, they get tired. :D

Psychonaut
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008, 04:19 AM
Thankfully, the military installation we live on is quite safe, so we have no qualms about our daughter playing all over the neighborhood. We have a hard time getting her to come back in when it's dinner time! Our neighborhood really is a great place for children. Since nearly everyone who lives outside of the barracks has children, this place is literally teeming with them.

Cythraul
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM
I won't even plan on having kids until I know they're going to brought up in a great environment with plenty of woods, fields and hills to explore. When I was a kid, a trip to the woods would be like a trip to Disneyland. My Dad showed my brothers and I how to make (crappy) bows and arrows out of hazel wood and how to carve and strip wood. Visiting my Grandad in Wales' Forest of Dean was a huge treat and we'd walk for hours splashing in the streams we'd find. Thankfully not much has changed and I'm excited about the prospect of doing all that again when I eventually have children :).