PDA

View Full Version : Rune Carving Project

Athalwulf
Saturday, October 18th, 2008, 05:49 AM
I've been bored lately and I need something to do to kill the time, so I decided that I'm going to carve a poem into a piece of wood and carve in a picture to go along with it. The poem is going to be about my family and it will be entirely written in runes. I haven't come up with the poem or the picture yet, but I'm going to look at some real rune carvings for inspiration.

I'm starting with a block of cedar wood that is about 8 inches by 22 inches, and I've sanded the surface already. I'll try to update with pictures as I go along if anyone is interested, since this will be a long project.

Pino
Sunday, October 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Hey good luck I look forward to seeing the pictures I'm going to be carving some runes myself soon, doing a poem in runes sounds a good idea.

Athalwulf
Monday, October 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Well I forgot that I'm terrible at poetry, so I just did a few sentences in runes.

If you've seen a traditional runestone with dragons and such on the outer edges with runes running along their bodies, that's what mine will look like. I have the dragons and runes done, now I need to think of a good inner piece like a scene from Ragnarok or one of the myths.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hersir
Wednesday, October 22nd, 2008, 07:31 AM
http://www.runestonecarver.com/
for guides, inspiration and information.
Good luck on the project, I think it will be good!

Athalwulf
Wednesday, October 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Wow that's a great website. Sadly I don't have the time, skill, or patience to do stone carvings.

Good inspiration for stuff though.

Pythia
Friday, October 24th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I would LOVE to see some photos! :):thumbup

Athalwulf
Friday, October 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I'm drawing my design first before I put it on the piece of wood. As soon as I finish the drawing I will post a pic, and then a pic of the wood carving process and finally the finished product.

I won't be able to work on it for the weekend though because I'm going on a hiking trip in the mountains to get closer to the gods.

Morning Angel
Friday, November 7th, 2008, 01:11 AM
How goes the project?

Athalwulf
Friday, November 7th, 2008, 04:16 AM
The drawing is about halfway done. The plan is to have to dragons making a rectangle shape around a scene of a battle between Fenrir and a human with a spear and a shield.

I still need to draw the head of Fenrir and then human.

Anfang
Monday, November 10th, 2008, 01:00 AM
The drawing is about halfway done. The plan is to have to dragons making a rectangle shape around a scene of a battle between Fenrir and a human with a spear and a shield.

I still need to draw the head of Fenrir and then human.

Hmmm ... I am looking forward to seeing this. (Any Chance for a preview?)

Athalwulf
Tuesday, November 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I may post a preview today, but I need to finish a 1000 word essay first. :(

Pino
Saturday, December 20th, 2008, 09:49 PM
any update on this?