PDA

View Full Version : If you could ask God any question, what would it be?

jelling55
Friday, April 16th, 2004, 07:13 AM
If you could ask God any question, what would it be?

For example, Why is their evil in the world?

Or, Why must innocent people suffer? (like children with birth defects)

Or, What is the purpose of life?

EDIT - Milesian:
Sorry, I edited this post instead of replying to it :|
I've recovered almost everything, I think :)

White Preservationist
Saturday, April 24th, 2004, 05:25 PM
God is a figment of your imagination.

Milesian
Saturday, April 24th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Or vice-versa, perhaps ;)

Mac Seafraidh
Saturday, April 24th, 2004, 05:41 PM
God = myth. I love one of the many Nietzsche quotes on God as well: "The only accuse for God is that he doesn't exist."

Evolved
Saturday, April 24th, 2004, 05:53 PM

There are thousands of pages written in holy books across the centuries by various Prophets. If you can't find the answers therein, take it as a sign God didn't consider your particular question very important. :)

God gave us all the ability to be assholes if we choose. Evil comes from different types of selfishness. ;)

Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I have little respect for those who have never faced any challenges in their life, how about you? :)

I see it as a test of the spirit over the secular and meaningless. I don't think created beings (unless you believe in evolution) have any right to question their Creator. :|

Milesian
Saturday, April 24th, 2004, 06:19 PM
lg's answers were pretty satisfactory for me, too :)

God gave us Free Will so that we would not be mindless automatons, but rather love him freely.
However, the logical consequence of this is that we may choose to use our will against God's will. This absence of God and goodness in our lives and our world is the condition known as evil - it is the absence of goodness.

God tolrates it because firstly, it is a necesary part of us having Free Will.
Secondly, because God can bring good even out of evil.

"Soldiers are tested in battle, not repose"

To glorify God and attain our salvation.

White Preservationist
Saturday, April 24th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.Are you sure? If you have a car accident and brake your spine you become stronger?

Awar
Saturday, April 24th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Are you sure? If you have a car accident and brake your spine you become stronger?

It's a figure of speech. You don't need EXACT explanation of everything to 'get the message' do you?

Evolved
Saturday, April 24th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Are you sure? If you have a car accident and brake your spine you become stronger?

Strength is not always tied to the physical body. :)

jelling55
Tuesday, April 27th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Actually, I'm a figment of God's imagination.

jelling55
Tuesday, April 27th, 2004, 08:50 AM
God tolrates it because firstly, it is a necesary part of us having Free Will.
I agree.

jelling55
Tuesday, April 27th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Evil comes from different types of selfishness.
I agree. If everyone had the same concept of "self", would there be evil in the world?

White Preservationist
Tuesday, July 13th, 2004, 06:04 AM
It's nonsensical and illogical my little awar.

It's a figure of speech. You don't need EXACT explanation of everything to 'get the message' do you?

Phill
Tuesday, July 13th, 2004, 06:31 AM

EDIT - Milesian:
I've recovered almost everything, I think :)

So.... How's the weather up there?

Heh, I'm not sure if i told this tale already or not, but one of the admins on another set of forums i visit pulled off a rather funny trick not too long ago. He made an account named, "THE LORD," making the avatar some famous picture of god from the Sistein(sp?) Chapel, and even making his registration date 0 AD. To top it off he made a thread that was somethign to the effect of "Ask me questions..."
After several pages of highly indepth and fully serious replies, quoting from the bible and giving lot's of various examples, some finally pops the question and asks, "Oh mighty Lord, what is the meaning of life?"
To which our admin replied, "Whiskey and Women, any idiot can tell you that."

Now, seriously, if I had a chance to ask him a question... it would probably be more along the lines of "How do I earn eternal happiness after death," or some such... Just to be sure which is the right way. (Don't want to die lamely, when i'm supposed to go out with a bang of glory, and vice-versa, y'know?) Otherwise... meh, i'm not too worried.

Skando-naivian-Girl
Tuesday, July 13th, 2004, 07:03 AM

EDIT - Milesian:
I've recovered almost everything, I think :)I'd ask God if your there why don't you show me? God if you care why have allowed such suffering and evil to go on in the world?

I'd ask God why he made people so different? Why did he make people so unequal? Why are some people poor and other rich. Why are some white and others black? Why did he make some handicap and others champion athletes?

If God is so good why has he made all the "bad" that is so evident in this world. Why didn't he make everything perfect?

It's either God doesn't exist at all. Or my mind can't understand a God that would allow humanity to go through so much pointless suffering.

Milesian
Tuesday, July 13th, 2004, 10:28 AM
I'd ask God if your there why don't you show me? God if you care why have allowed such suffering and evil to go on in the world?

God has revealed himself countless times. He doesn't make a spectacular show in front of every single person. What faith would you need to believe then? What credit would it be to you to believe in the blindingly obvious.
As He said Himself - "It is a wicked generation that asks for a sign" ;)
As for allowing suffering and evil - we brought that into the world ourself by Original Sin and disobeying God in the Garden of Eden. God tolerates it for the reasons previously stated (which includes the fact that it is a necessary consequence of allowing us Free Will).

I'd ask God why he made people so different? Why did he make people so unequal? Why are some people poor and other rich. Why are some white and others black? Why did he make some handicap and others champion athletes?

Perhaps God knows our hearts from the beginning and know what tests are specifically suited to our characters. Life is a run-through, a chance for us to shine and show our mettle. Different people are perhaps given tailor-made challenges :)

If God is so good why has he made all the "bad" that is so evident in this world. Why didn't he make everything perfect?

God didn't make evil. He cannot make it as Evil is the state of an absence of Good. As God is the source of all Goodness, then Evil is the absence of God.
We create Evil everytime we reject God or go against his will, remove him from our lives. When God (Supreme Goodness) is removed, then the absence of him is Evil. God did make everything perfect in the beginning, even Satan as the Bible speaks of him-

"You were in Eden, the Garden of God; every precious stone was your covering: The sardius, topaz and diamond, Beryl, onyx, and jasper, Sapphire, turquoise, and emerald with gold. The workmanship of your timbrels and pipes was prepared for you on the day you were created. You were anointed cherub who covers; I established you; you were on the holy mountain of God; you walked back and forth in the midst of fiery stones."

It was by his own Free Will that he turned away from God. Satan was the first author of evil in creation.

It's either God doesn't exist at all. Or my mind can't understand a God that would allow humanity to go through so much pointless suffering.

Not necessarily pointless. The story of Job is an interesting one, in which Satan (who accuses us before God night and day) challeneged God to permit various kinds of suffering on Job in order to prove that he was not faithful and would resent God and turn on him for his suffering. Unfortunately for Satan (Creation's biggest loser :lol), Job was made of sterner stuff :D

Jack
Tuesday, July 13th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Where did he get the myth of free will from, given he's all powerful, he built us and knew everything that was going to happen because he, in all his infinite wisdom, build us like this? And why does he blame it on his little brother Satan when he was the one that let Satan go and mess up his sand pit, knowing full well exactly what Satan would do?

And don't say God works in mysterious ways, or that I'm too stupid to comprehend it, because this thread supposes that we can find out the logic behind his 'mysterious ways' and that we can understand it if he gave us the answer.

Milesian
Tuesday, July 13th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning :D

Where did he get the myth of free will from

What's mythical about it?

, given he's all powerful, he built us and knew everything that was going to happen because he, in all his infinite wisdom, build us like this?

Yes, he built us with Free Will. Being all-powerful doesn't preclude him giving us Free-Will.
The other option being that he could have made us mindless robots who followed his every command. Instead he made us self-aware and gave us the freedom to make our own decisions. Keep in mind that before Man was tempted to eat from the Tree of Knowledge, he was incapable of committing sin as he was not aware that it was wrong. It was only with that knowledge, that he could then make a decision in the full knowledge that it was wrong, thereby making it sinful.
It was in this means that Satan transformed the gift of Free-Will into being our downfall.

And why does he blame it on his little brother Satan

Satan was a pure angelic being that he created, not his little brother.
Faecetious remark :)

when he was the one that let Satan go and mess up his sand pit, knowing full well exactly what Satan would do?

Aquinas touches on this subject in the Summa Theologica.
However, ultimately to answer this question is to know the mind of God, which we do not. It's tempting in the absence of such knowledge to get defiant and lay the blame at God's feet. But as we don't know the mind of God, there is no basis to jump to those conclusions as it would be a conclusion made in ignorance and thus liable to be faulty

And don't say God works in mysterious ways,

Why not? :)

or that I'm too stupid to comprehend it,

Incapable, not stupid ;)

because this thread supposes that we can find out the logic behind his 'mysterious ways' and that we can understand it if he gave us the answer.

In what way?
There is nothing to suggest that we are capable of achieveing the level of understanding that God has. No being, not us, not Satan, not angel can fully comprehend the mind of God.
To do so would to be as like God. Satan too in his arrogance strived for that and was completely ruined by it.
To be like God is a good desire if you attempt to do so by the help of God.
Satan, like modern man tries to do so by their own limited facilties and in independance from God, and are doomed to fail.

Tommy Vercetti
Tuesday, July 13th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Says who?You may be satan telling your lies

White Preservationist
Friday, July 16th, 2004, 10:55 AM
The world would be a better and more peacefull place without theistic religion.

Milesian
Friday, July 16th, 2004, 11:03 AM
The world would be a better and more peacefull place without theistic religion.

Why? Would poverty, disease, famine, crime, mass immigration and war all miraculously come to an end? ;)

Don't forget what vehement Anti-Christian, Albert Pike wrote in a letter to Mazzini - That the promotion of athiesm and nihilism is designed to provoke a social cataclysm to show the world how absurd these positions are and leaving the world in ruins ready for them to usher in their New World Order :|

Seems even the most bitter Anti-Christian disagrees with your analysis :)