PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Interested in Archery?

Oresai
Sunday, October 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Is anyone else here interested in archery?
I began with a recurve bow then moved onto instinctual shooting and have a Hunic bow now which I love :D
Also have a collection of crossbows (150lb) and swords plus an assortment of knives but most of all, I love my Hunic! :thumbup

Nope, I`m not shooting at the laundry in the pic. Though my friends will say, in front of me is the safest place to be, when I`m shooting, har! :D

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq45/oresai/BOW3.jpg

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq45/oresai/BOW1.jpg

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq45/oresai/whattheshouldermusclesshouldbedoing.jpg

theTasmanian
Sunday, October 12th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I don't have any bows currently!

i started with compound bows at school and i got hooked in my younger years

ive had two compounds(45-65lb) and four cross bows 2x130lb 1x220lb compound 1x 150lb

i didnt find the crossbows to be accurate compared to recurve or compounds but they are "easy"

its very hard to find a recurve bow above 35-34lb and Left-handed;)
i must go and get a new bow compound or a recurve :thumbup

GroeneWolf
Sunday, October 12th, 2008, 04:05 PM
If I go somewhere where there is an archery range open then I usaly fire a few arrows. Last year at Archeon vikingmarket I and Dietsehammer fired dozens afther each other while all the other vistors where looking at the weaponshow # .

But outside that I don't it. There is no fit practice space here where I live and I don't own the land for my own archery range.

theTasmanian
Monday, October 13th, 2008, 07:50 AM
One of the problems with to many people in one place/space

we have a archery range in town with a great back stop for anyone to use:thumbup

Thrymheim
Monday, October 13th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I shoot, I started off on those terrible little jelly bows but quicly moved on to my 42Lb hickory and lemonwood longbow, I'm afraid I won't shoot anything other than a longbow with wood and feather arrows, I'll admit that the few times I have shot with a recurve and sights (and balancing rods) I was much more accurate but that seems to detract from the purpose.
And the less said about compounds the better I consider them cheating! equally, although I was fine shooting my ex'e 60lb longbow I can't pull the cams over on a 50Lb compound!

Oresai
Monday, October 13th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Thrymheim, I`m seriously impressed..and envious!...I want a longbow. :D
I haven`t (yet! working on it though) the muscle to pull such draw weights, my Hunic is only a 40lb, haven`t used a compound bow and used to be able to draw my crossbows fairly easily but after a neck and shoulder injury now resort to a string pull on them. :(
Like yourself, I`ve used the recurves with the paraphanalia, but somehow it`s more satisfying to hit the target with the Hunic using only line of sight. :)
The Hunic is a Steve Ralphs one, leather wrapped and very pretty :D

I`m really pleased there are others here who shoot bows too. :)
Thanks to everyone for responding.

I also plan to make some fire arrows (I make my own arrows when I get the time) and have some medieval whistling arrows which are great fun shot into the neighboring fields. :D

theTasmanian
Monday, October 13th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I'll admit that the few times I have shot with a recurve and sights (and balancing rods) I was much more accurate but that seems to detract from the purpose.
And the less said about compounds the better I consider them cheating!

well cheating they may be:P but when you can hunt with a Bow accuracy is very helpful.......mind you ive yet to find a recurve that's not accurate(one that's worth owning any way)

Thrymheim
Tuesday, October 14th, 2008, 01:09 AM
unfortunately bow hunting is illegal here, so no such fun can be had.

Oresai
Tuesday, October 14th, 2008, 05:50 AM
True, unless you poach. ;) My dad used a crossbow for hunting deer in Sutherland, but it isn`t something I would do now as he was a much better shot than me!
And here in Orkney the only things to hunt for food are the incredibly prolific amount of rabbits. Which I have kinda gone off...too much rabbit stew, rabbit casserole, rabbit curries, stewed rabbit......:(
the only benefit being, I get to tan and use the fur.
I have a crossbow foam target for the garden, and shoot at a large round straw bale with paper targets pinned to it in the back field, though I once caused a stampede of sheep by overshooting into the next farmers field...:-O
(no sheep were harmed during the incident though..and if they had been, I`d have popped it in the freezer and kept very very quiet about it all....:D )

Frozen Ash
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I was a member of my school's club, it was one of the (many) benefits of attending a rural school. Also, as a 'boarder' there were opportunities for evening activities in the summer, on top of the usual sports.

When I left that school though there was no facility at my next school and as that was a boarding school as well, there was no opportunity for me to continue.

I have been looking into the possibility of starting up again around here, but my days are so busy at the moment I don't know when I would be able to fit it in. And putting it to practice is another story, it's illegal in England and Wales so it would mean joining a club, hiring equipment etc. Essentially it would have to be a sport, rather than using it in a practical context.

Jonathan Eells
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I shoot a fairly "primitive" 55 lb. longbow. As far as I can tell, "primitive" seems to mean "leather wrap and a rustic arrow rest". I usually rest the arrow on my outstretched index finger, anyway. My accuracy is I-M-Humble-O formidable. And I'm really lucky in the sense that my house, being in a densely packed little mountain town, is on the very edge of that town on the border of our national forest. I can wander off for twelve miles out my front door before encountering any people. We have a BIG archery range of our own in the forest next to our house. Lots of varying distances and elevations. It's fun. And my son is quite a good shot on his little toy bow. As he grows older I look forward to spending lots of time with him in the forest.

Hierwend
Saturday, May 30th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I shoot, I have a compound and a recurve. I prefere recurve. I'm totally jealous of the OP's bow, it's absolutely beautiful.

Frozen Ash
Saturday, May 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM
My girlfriend and I recently started a beginner's course (it's been so long for me, and she'd never tried it) that's being run locally. We're both getting on with it very well so far. Another session today! :thumbup

Hierwend
Saturday, May 30th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Archery is a wonderful date activity, especially once know what you're doing and can do the teaching. Helping your date with their stance is an excellent excuse to get hands on, assuming of course they're ok with it ;).

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I am getting back to archery after 13 years of not doing. I want to bow hunt & I went to my local Archery facility today. I checked out different compound bows & the owners offered me a few shots for free on their range. I took 14 shots with a rental recurve bow at 90 feet (uncalibrated with no optics) & I think I had decent placement after 13 years of not shooting. I plan on getting a bow in March; start shooting indoors & out, then start hunting. :thumbup

Red circled holes are the shots, the other holes are placement tack holes.

http://forums.skadi.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=107129&d=1294184973

Hersir
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 12:38 AM
We have two bow clubs here, maybe I should try it. Seems fun!
It's not legal to hunt with bows here, and crossbows are illegal to own.

SpearBrave
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 12:44 AM
I hunt with a long bow, but I am by no means a William Tell or Robin Hood. I can however hit a 6" group at 40 yards and that is good enough to get a deer. It takes a lot of practice with a traditional bow to become really good.

I mostly bow hunt as a excuse to get out and wander in the woods.;)

Astrid Runa
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I used to shoot quite regularly. First time I ever picked up a bow and shot the arrow, I hit the bullseye. Beginners luck I was told, but I think it goes deeper than that (if you believe in past lives).
I'm severely out of practice, though, and I've been meaning to get back in to practice for quite some time.

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 02:13 AM
We have two bow clubs here, maybe I should try it. Seems fun!
It's not legal to hunt with bows here, and crossbows are illegal to own.

Crossbows are also illegal over here too (I may be wrong). Bow hunting is awesome, I have seen it, but have never done it. It is like getting back to true hunting. Anyone can shoot a gun & take down game, but if you can take any game down, especially big/dangerous game bow hunting, YOU ARE A GOD! :thumbsup Inside the range, there was a photo a 12 year old girl took down a 316lb elk in Canada with a compound bow, the mounted taxidermy was on the wall too, I couldn’t believe it! :-O

Finally, bow hunting is the only hunting where you can be in full camo with no ID colors/orange! ;-P

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 02:15 AM
I hunt with a long bow, but I am by no means a William Tell or Robin Hood. I can however hit a 6" group at 40 yards and that is good enough to get a deer. It takes a lot of practice with a traditional bow to become really good.

I mostly bow hunt as a excuse to get out and wander in the woods.;)

Good man! :thumbup

Spearbrave, you just keeping going up in my book day by day.

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 02:17 AM
I used to shoot quite regularly. First time I ever picked up a bow and shot the arrow, I hit the bullseye. Beginners luck I was told, but I think it goes deeper than that (if you believe in past lives).
I'm severely out of practice, though, and I've been meaning to get back in to practice for quite some time.

It is DEFINITELY in your blood Astrid! Go back, slam some yellow & post up your target like i did! :thumbsup

SpearBrave
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 02:19 AM
It is legal to use crossbows in Indiana, but I don't. I did at one time but I found them difficult to stalk with in thick cover( where I like to hunt ). I was not like carrying a gun or like carrying a bow, more like caring both at the same time. Besides the bolts get deflected real easy in heavy brush, more so than a arrow.

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 02:22 AM
It is legal to use crossbows in Indiana, but I don't. I did at one time but I found them difficult to stalk with in thick cover( where I like to hunt ). I was not like carrying a gun or like carrying a bow, more like caring both at the same time. Besides the bolts get deflected real easy in heavy brush, more so than a arrow.

When bow hunting, do you foot hunt or perch hunt?

SpearBrave
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I foot hunt with bow or gun, I like stalking.

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 02:42 AM
I foot hunt with bow or gun, I like stalking.

You must be very well skilled to take game on foot while bow hunting. Do you use calls/animal noises?

Barreldriver
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 02:51 AM
I grew up using a recurve bow (started out at 30lb draw weight youth then worked my way on up, I switched over to recurve crossbow before I got into compound bows, I have yet to own a compound bow just borrow the buds and such, I only own a 150lb draw weight Barnett recurve crossbow [Ranger I, really a POS but it works, I have yet to experience the faults others have experienced with this item, I'm keeping my fingers crossed because the Barnett Ranger is known for some scary screw ups), I'm hoping to save up for a traditional English longbow, if the SHTF I'd prefer to have something like an English longbow as opposed to my crossbow because you don't need a stirrup to draw a longbow safely/properly. For compounds I wouldn't mind owning a Bear product. If I was to get a new crossbow I'd get a Horton or an Excalibur.

SpearBrave
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 02:53 AM
No, just stay paralell and down wind of trails and bedding areas, I walk very slow maybe only 10-20 short steps per minute.

I don't use any calls or scents just plain old fashioned stalking, some call it still hunting. I don't know why they call it still hunting because you are not holding still.;)

Most of the deer I kill are with a gun, but I do take a few with bow from time to time. I really just use bow hunting as a excuse to go stalking and walking in the woods. If I do get one with a bow it is a bonus.:)

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 03:01 AM
This is what I am going to get...

- - - - - - -

2010 G5 QUEST HEAT COMPOUND BOW

The Heat is built with all hardcore hunters in mind. Feature packed, sleek–looking and just as lethal in a ground blind, treestand or the wide– open prairie, the Heat performs every time. A fully adjustable string suppression system dampens noise, while the HPS Cam System with adjustable draw stop provides precision accuracy.

Specifications
Axle to Axle: 33" +/- 3/16"
Brace Height: 6–5/8" +/- 1/8"
IBO Speed (Approx.): 327–330 fps
Mass Weight: 3.9 lbs.

Features:
HPS Cam System: Modular with Adjustable Draw Stop
Draw Lengths: 26" – 30" in 1/2" increments
80% Let–Off
Draw Weights: 60 – 70 lbs.
Patent Pending I–Glide Cable System
Riser is forged and then 100% CNC Machined
Pivoting and Locking Limb Pockets
MIM (Metal Injection Molding) Broadhead Shelf
Two Piece Laminated Wood Grip
Fully Adjustable String Suppression System
Blue Black 452X Precision Bowstring
BowJax Limb Silencers

Finish Option:
GFade Realtree Advantage Max 1

This is the bow, but it has the wrong optics & cradle though..

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss77/jandjarcheryrepair/006.jpg

SpearBrave
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 03:12 AM
@ DerWeißeWehrwolf that looks pretty fancy.:)

@ Cadwallon you live in the Eastern half of the country there is always good bow wood to be had. Although I did not make mine, you could get some books on how it is done or check Youtube and make your own.

One day I plan making my own bow, I just can't take on any new projects right now.;)

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 03:18 AM
@ DerWeißeWehrwolf that looks pretty fancy.:)

@ Cadwallon you live in the Eastern half of the country there is always good bow wood to be had. Although I did not make mine, you could get some books on how it is done or check Youtube and make your own.

One day I plan making my own bow, I just can't take on any new projects right now.;)

Around March I should be picking it up. After I get, I will take some photos of it fully assembled/dressed & its shot accuracy too. The photos after that will be game I have taken! ;-P

Hesse
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 06:36 AM

May I ask, what sort of being, or entity in the past life would you say that you attribute it to?

Barreldriver
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 04:22 PM

Most indeed, I watched a few vids on making bows, I was thinking of giving it a go but it's something that would only be practical for me if I was still living in the country. I wish I didn't move into the city but it was necessary for college.

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Most indeed, I watched a few vids on making bows, I was thinking of giving it a go but it's something that would only be practical for me if I was still living in the country. I wish I didn't move into the city but it was necessary for college.

How far away from the country did you move?

Barreldriver
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 05:56 PM
How far away from the country did you move?

I'm near downtown Akron. It is a living hell sometimes, the apartment is nice but the city is loud, I swear there's an ambulance emergency every half an hour all day long. I miss being able to hear nature.

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I'm near downtown Akron. It is a living hell sometimes, the apartment is nice but the city is loud, I swear there's an ambulance emergency every half an hour all day long. I miss being able to hear nature.

If it was not for cub/boy scouts, I would have never been in the country as much as I have. I hate the city & I am just waiting for my chance to escape the concrete mongrel jungle. The only thing slowing me down is college & flight lessons. But you should move back to the country when you get a chance to do so.

Barreldriver
Wednesday, January 5th, 2011, 08:38 PM
If it was not for cub/boy scouts, I would have never been in the country as much as I have. I hate the city & I am just waiting for my chance to escape the concrete mongrel jungle. The only thing slowing me down is college & flight lessons. But you should move back to the country when you get a chance to do so.

Archery was part of how I was raised, in the mountains boys are taught to use bow and knife at an early age (I was taught at the age of 7), typically it was up to the father or an uncle but since my parents were divorced I had to learn from the relatives of the kids down the road. It helped that since my family (the Reeder's) was well known in that part of Appalachia folks were willing to help teach some basic Cohee/yeoman ways (many of my relatives are in the local history books).

I can guarantee though that I'm not going to have the archery prowess I had in my teens as it's been 3 years since I've shot a non crossbow bow, and I didn't use crossbow as much as shotgun or bolt action rifle.

DerWeißeWehrwolf
Thursday, January 6th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Archery was part of how I was raised, in the mountains boys are taught to use bow and knife at an early age (I was taught at the age of 7), typically it was up to the father or an uncle but since my parents were divorced I had to learn from the relatives of the kids down the road. It helped that since my family (the Reeder's) was well known in that part of Appalachia folks were willing to help teach some basic Cohee/yeoman ways (many of my relatives are in the local history books).

I can guarantee though that I'm not going to have the archery prowess I had in my teens as it's been 3 years since I've shot a non crossbow bow, and I didn't use crossbow as much as shotgun or bolt action rifle.

It is like riding a bicycle. You never forget & can get back to it easily.