PDA

View Full Version : Stupid UEFA

Grimm
Sunday, October 12th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Why does UEFA refuse to force the minnows to enter preliminary qualifying rounds for the World Cup and European Championships? Every other confederation has preliminary rounds for their lightweights. However UEFA has every country entering at the same time, forcing the big nations to play in what appear to be high school stadiums. To me that just devalues the prestige of the competition.

There's no reason that Andorra and Liechtenstein and Malta and such should be allowed to enter competitions at the same stage as Germany, Spain, and Italy. As much as I enjoyed watching Germany beat San Marino 13-0 a couple of years back, I really think the current system should be replaced by a system with one or two preliminary rounds.

BeornWulfWer
Sunday, October 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Why does UEFA refuse to force the minnows to enter preliminary qualifying rounds for the World Cup and European Championships? Every other confederation has preliminary rounds for their lightweights. However UEFA has every country entering at the same time, forcing the big nations to play in what appear to be high school stadiums. To me that just devalues the prestige of the competition.

There's no reason that Andorra and Liechtenstein and Malta and such should be allowed to enter competitions at the same stage as Germany, Spain, and Italy. As much as I enjoyed watching Germany beat San Marino 13-0 a couple of years back, I really think the current system should be replaced by a system with one or two preliminary rounds.

Not at all.

The less developed countries are there because they are officially recognised by the governing European football bodies.
To take these countries away, or throw them into some 'mickey mouse' preliminary round would disrupt and detract the fun and experience which can be gained from encountering them.

They deserve to be there, and they have sometimes deserved to qualify.

The entrance into European and World Cups has to earned by merit and no team/country is above this.

Grimm
Sunday, October 12th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Not at all.

The less developed countries are there because they are officially recognised by the governing European football bodies.
To take these countries away, or throw them into some 'mickey mouse' preliminary round would disrupt and detract the fun and experience which can be gained from encountering them.

They deserve to be there, and they have sometimes deserved to qualify.

The entrance into European and World Cups has to earned by merit and no team/country is above this.

Well, UEFA is the only confederation that feels that way (notwithstanding CONMEBOL, who only have 10 nations). Take a look on FIFA.com at the history of the four nations I've mentioned. They are so poor, it's not even laughable. They just water down the competition and make for a lot of uninteresting matches. However I do respect your opinion and appreciate the feedback.