PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Have Any Info on the "Buren" Tribe?

Athalwulf
Wednesday, October 8th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I was browsing around the internet for information on the Swēboz confederation from the Roman times and I came across a map that shows you where each tribe lived.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Germanen_50_n._Chr.png

I am particularly interested in the tribe located beneath the giant green blob of Vandals, the Buren tribe. This is interesting to me because Buren is my last name. I've been told that my last name is a variation of "van Buren" (Buren is a city in Gelderland, a region of the Netherlands, and strongly linked to the royal family) or "von Büren" (Büren is a city in Westphalia, Germany, and is the location of the Wewelsburg Castle, which was used by the SS during World War 2 as a leadership school), but knowledge of this tribe called Buren has intrigued me to ask the people here about it. Does anyone have any information about this tribe?

Psychonaut
Wednesday, October 8th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I'm pretty sure your map is referring to the Buri Tribe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buri_(Germanic_tribe)). The -en suffix only appears because you're looking at a German map.

The Buri first appear in history as a Germanic tribe mentioned in the Germania of Tacitus, where they initially "close the back" of the Marcomanni and Quadi of Bohemia and Moravia. It is said that their speech and customs were like those of the Suebi. Such a statement implies that the Buri had recently come from Suebia, as the Germanic settlers in Bohemia and Moravia were newcomers, having driven out the Celtic Boii and taken their lands. In Tacitus, the Buri are not linked to the Lugii.

Ptolemy, however, mentions the Lougoi Bouroi (transliterated by the scholars into Latin Lugi Buri) dwelling in what is today southern Poland between the Sudetes and the upper Vistula. They are distinct from the Silingi (Vandals), who are on the upper Oder. Tacitus and Ptolemy together imply that the Buri may have entered Moravia from Suebia with the Marcomanni and Quadi and then moved into the upper Vistula region, where they allied themselves with the Lugii there.

The fate of the Buri seems tied to that of the Danubian tribes, as they joined the Marcomanni-inspired invasion of the empire in the 2nd century AD, going against the emperor, Marcus Aurelius (Julius Capitolinus, Life of Marcus Aurelius). The latter became a tougher adversary than the Germans had suspected and so many tribes, including the Buri, made a separate peace. They were well rewarded by the Romans for doing so, but they then had to face the vengeance of their old allies (Cassius Dio, Books 72-73).

After the death of Marcus, and further Germanic unrest, the Buri petitioned his son, Commodus, for peace. At this point they were destitute, having spent their resources on war. As they now met the empire's qualifications for financial aid; to wit, being destitute and potentially dangerous, they received it. The Marcomanni were enjoined from seeking retaliation. Since they themselves were now destitute and seeking terms, they complied, as far as we know.

The Buri now bow off stage. Very likely, their destiny was like that of the other Germanic peoples along the Danube; that is, they either merged with other tribes in Silesia, or they left their homes to join others in their migrations.

Another small group of the Buri accompanied the Suebi in their invasion of the Iberian Peninsula and establishment in Gallaecia (modern northern Portugal and Galicia) in the 4th century. They settled in the region between the rivers Cávado and Homem, in the area know as Terras de Bouro (Lands of the Buri).

Athalwulf
Wednesday, October 8th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I'm pretty sure your map is referring to the Buri Tribe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buri_(Germanic_tribe)). The -en suffix only appears because you're looking at a German map.

Haha! I didn't notice.

Thanks for the info.

Oswiu
Wednesday, October 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM
In the English speaking world, you're better off looking for them under the Latin version of their name:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buri_(Germanic_tribe)

They seem to have melted away and fused with the later tribal unions of the Great Migrations period, but this is a curious little titbit, on Wiki, -

Another small group of the Buri accompanied the Suebi in their invasion of the Iberian Peninsula and establishment in Gallaecia (modern northern Portugal and Galicia) in the 4th century. They settled in the region between the rivers Cávado and Homem, in the area know as Terras de Bouro (Lands of the Buri)[1].

Some also say Burians when translating into English. Do a CtrlF here:
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/tacitus-germanygord.html

It seems they were a Suebian people (Suevi, Schwaben), as were our Angles in Tacitus's book.

I wouldn't put too much into the similarity of your surname and the name of this tribe in its modernised German form. There might well be the same basic roots at play, but there the link probably ends. No reason not to take and interest in the lads, though! :D

EDIT: Psych beat me to it! :D

Athalwulf
Wednesday, October 8th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't put too much into the similarity of your surname and the name of this tribe in its modernised German form. There might well be the same basic roots at play, but there the link probably ends. No reason not to take and interest in the lads, though! :D

Well it is interesting that the Dutch and German versions of my last name mean "of Buren" or "from Buren". I'm not sure if that's referring to the tribe or the cities.

Oswiu
Wednesday, October 8th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Have a look at the timescale. NOBODY in Holland at the time when modern surnames were becoming established remembered the Buri. Hardly ANYONE even knew anything about the Batavi, never mind a small group who faded from history in the first half of the first millenium AD!

Bueren in Westfalen could have a completely different origin to the tribalname. Better to ask a German linguist, but it might be as simple as a derivation from 'farmers';

Boer
"Du. colonist in S.Africa," 1824, from Du. boer "farmer," from M.Du., cognate with O.E. gebur "dweller, farmer, peasant," and thus related to bower and the final syllable of neighbor (see boor).
boor
13c., from O.Fr. bovier "herdsman," from L. bovis, gen. of bos "cow, ox." Later re-borrowed (1581) from Du. boer, from M.Du. gheboer "fellow dweller," from P.Gmc. base *bu- "dwell" (cf. second element of neighbor). Original meaning was "peasant farmer" (cf. Ger. Bauer, Du. boer, Dan. bonde), and in Eng. it was at first applied to agricultural laborers in or from other lands, as opposed to the native yeoman; negative connotation first attested 1562 (in boorish), from notion of clownish rustics.

The town may be derived from something completely different too.

Athalwulf
Wednesday, October 8th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Have a look at the timescale. NOBODY in Holland at the time when modern surnames were becoming established remembered the Buri. Hardly ANYONE even knew anything about the Batavi, never mind a small group who faded from history in the first half of the first millenium AD!

Bueren in Westfalen could have a completely different origin to the tribalname. Better to ask a German linguist, but it might be as simple as a derivation from 'farmers';

The town may be derived from something completely different too.

I understand what you mean, it's just interesting to think about.