PDA

View Full Version : Asparagus

berserkergrrl
Thursday, April 15th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Anyone have ideas on how to cook fresh asparagus?I didn't want to just have it plain maybe used in a recipe or some soup?

Mistress Klaus
Friday, April 16th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Anyone have ideas on how to cook fresh asparagus?I didn't want to just have it plain maybe used in a recipe or some soup?

Well the straight method to cook it is....
Trim the ends & stand the bundle (in a glass) in cold water for about an hour.
To prepare for cooking, lightly scrape back any tough skin, with a sharp knife.
Wash well, then tie the asparagus in bundles of 10 each. (or 5, for a small meal).
Bring to boil, a saucepan with salted water. Drop the spears in, making sure the width of the pot allows the spears to lay horizontal.
Cook for approx 6-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the spears. Leaving a few spears loose in the pot, also helps to test the tenderness. Bite the butt end...it should be tender but firm.
When cooked, lift out the bundles & drain on a clean folded teacloth.
Snip ties & arrange on platter/plate, with melted butter. (also mixed with lemon juice & pepper). Serve as a side dish.

As for some other recipes...I will check my cookbooks. :)

Mistress Klaus
Friday, April 16th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Here's a soup I found in one of my books..

ASPARAGUS SOUP with PARMESAN CRISPS
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time :30 mins
Serves 4.

720g fresh asparagus, trimmed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
30g butter
1 large red onion, finely chopped
1 large leek, thinly sliced
2 large potatoes, cut into 1cm cubes
1.25 litres of chicken stock (best to make your own stock with chicken carcasses, but stock cubes will suffice)
1/3 cup (80ml) cream
1/3 (90g) sour cream
1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
60g grated Parmesan.

1. Roughly chop 630g of the asparagus, then cut the rest into 6 cm pieces. Heat the oil & butter in a large saucepan over medium heat & cook the onios & leek for 5 mins, or until soft.
Add the potatoe, chopped asparagus & stock and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat & simmer for 8 mins, or until the vegetables are tender. Blanch the remaining (6cm pieces) asparagus in a saucepan of boiling water.

2. Cool the soup, then puree. (in a blender/mixer). Return to the pan, stir in the cream for 1-2 mins (until heated through). Season. Garnish with sour cream, blanched asparagus, chives and serve.

Parmesan Crisps
1. Preheat the over to mod hot 190*C (375*F/Gas 5). Line 3 baking trays with baking paper & place 4 9cm eggs rings on each tray. Sprinkle 5g of the Parmesan into each ring in a thin layer (for a lacy edge, remove the rings). Bake for 5 mins, or until melted & just golden brown. Cool.

I feel like cooking this now.... :P :)

Anne14
Friday, April 16th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Melted cheese on asparagus is goooooood!

cosmocreator
Friday, April 16th, 2004, 06:36 PM
I usually eat it with butter, salt, pepper and vinegar.

Ewergrin
Friday, April 16th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Steamed or raw are my preffered methods for consuming asparagus.

I always get a chuckle when I think of asparagus. It reminds me of the Far Side cartoon in which a man was driving an "asparagus truck" and singing "I cuss, you cuss, we all cuss for asparagus!"

berserkergrrl
Friday, April 23rd, 2004, 08:54 PM
"I cuss, you cuss, we all cuss for asparagus!" :lol: oh THAT is good never heard that before!That soup made me want to start cooking too!:P I have some left I choose a soup as it had gotten cold here again.:~( I like to eat it just raw too!I also had some whitefish w/asparagas and crab meat "stuffed" in it,that was awesome!:D THX everyone!

cosmocreator
Wednesday, April 28th, 2004, 08:24 PM
I've probably eaten asparagus most of my 39 years. But last night I tried it raw for the very first time. It was very good. Tasted like raw snow peas. It had never occured to me to eat it raw. I thought it would be stalky.

Ewergrin
Wednesday, April 28th, 2004, 09:48 PM
I've probably eaten asparagus most of my 39 years. But last night I tried it raw for the very first time. It was very good. Tasted like raw snow peas. It had never occured to me to eat it raw. I thought it would be stalky.

It goes great with a dip when raw.

berserkergrrl
Wednesday, April 28th, 2004, 09:50 PM
It goes great with a dip when raw. hey I never tried that,just now trying to do the veggies NIX the dip though!;( Do you mean like carrot sticks,etc on a veggie tray kinda?

Ewergrin
Wednesday, April 28th, 2004, 09:52 PM
hey I never tried that,just now trying to do the veggies NIX the dip though!;( Do you mean like carrot sticks,etc on a veggie tray kinda?

Yes, that is how I mean it.

kinvolk
Wednesday, April 28th, 2004, 09:54 PM
I always steam it till the thick end is slightly soft, then put it in the still hot pan after pouring out the water. Add butter, salt, pepper, a small amt. of minced garlic and a bit of lemon juice. mm mm GOOD! Raw is also very good!

berserkergrrl
Wednesday, April 28th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Y'all making me hungry now!LOL Glad I made a big pot of chili last night!:D

kinvolk
Wednesday, April 28th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Y'all making me hungry now!LOL Glad I made a big pot of chili last night!:D I'm hungry also,. Can I come over and have some chile?

wirowlkwos
Monday, June 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM
We cook it just like described above then make a nice hollendaise sauce to go with it.....it can't be beat.