PDA

View Full Version : Decisive Battles - Adrianople

BeornWulfWer
Friday, September 26th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Decisive Battles - Adrianople (http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=32993)

Teuton
Friday, September 26th, 2008, 02:08 AM
They even used the Rome: Total War sound track.:P

Still, very nice watching.:)

BeornWulfWer
Friday, September 26th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I can't remember the programme on British television which brought a group of contestants in each week to assume the role of a famous historical general or leader, and take control of an army in a famous battle in time.

The contestants were given expert military tactical advice and even a few hints from a historical advisor.

Most did well and utilised what they had at their disposal. Often completely changing the method of victory.

But what got me thinking about this software, other than the gaming point of view, is the potential to liven history lessons by incorporating real life scenarios for children.

They could take charge of Harold's men at Hastings and try to stop William, all the while learning and engaging the mind.

Teuton
Friday, September 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I can't remember the programme on British television which brought a group of contestants in each week to assume the role of a famous historical general or leader, and take control of an army in a famous battle in time.

The contestants were given expert military tactical advice and even a few hints from a historical advisor.

Most did well and utilised what they had at their disposal. Often completely changing the method of victory.

But what got me thinking about this software, other than the gaming point of view, is the potential to liven history lessons by incorporating real life scenarios for children.

They could take charge of Harold's men at Hastings and try to stop William, all the while learning and engaging the mind.

Indeed, but the problem is, children(And adults) these days don't want to play strategy games(Let alone play on a PC), all they want to do is play mass killing 007-like games, nudity included.:P
I myself love strategy games, from Rome: Total War(One of my favorites) to AoEII(AoEIII was really bad quality, quite sad, and then try to make 5 million and 2 expansion packs to make up for it.)

I just don't know how we would get people interested in learning history, and then taking control of the armies involved, I personally would love it though.:D

But I think that is they way Military Schools will go, testing and improving the students by challenging them to different military scenarios, while teaching them the history at the same time.