PDA

View Full Version : HIV/AIDS and the Right to Privacy

Deary
Sunday, September 21st, 2008, 12:43 AM
Should people with HIV/AIDS have the right to privacy?
What are the laws regarding HIV/AIDS privacy in your country?
Do employers have a right to know whether or not a person has HIV/AIDS?
Should healthcare workers be allowed to tell a person's partner, family members and friends about their HIV/AIDS status?
Are people with HIV/AIDS who are unopen of their status being irresponsible?
Should we be concerned with the discrimination HIV/AIDS-infected people might face or should we care more for overall public health and safety?

Add anything else.

Patrioten
Sunday, September 21st, 2008, 12:59 AM
Our laws say that HIV infected individuals must notify sexual partners, dentists and medical personel of their desease beforehand. They are also barred from donating stuff from their bodies, naturally.

As an HIV infected individual, the rights and interests of society should come before those of the individual. I think they should be treated like the lepers were, and live separated from the rest of us. Infecting someone with HIV should be a capital offence in my opinion. It's not just another desease, it's one of the worst plagues that currently exists, and infecting someone else is to convict this person to lifelong suffering and a painful death (never mind the drugs now under development, they don't lessen the severity of infecting someone "gee sorry I infected you but hey, now they got these drugs that slow down the process so you can live longer as you carry the desease for the rest of your life", that just doesn't cut it). If gays, drug addicts and foreigners think that it is their right to expose others to their desease, then they deserve no pity, and if they do not, then they will see no problem with such a law since they will ensure that they do not infect another human being with their desease.

Nachtengel
Sunday, September 21st, 2008, 01:41 AM
Any person who carries a transmissible disease should be tagged about it. The healthy populace has a right to protect itself from catching such a disease.

People with grave diseases like AIDS should be separated from society in a special medical facility or something I think.

Oski
Sunday, September 21st, 2008, 01:58 AM
I thinks scientists should create a race based cure for whites and let the original people(s) that spawned the virus deal with it. Negroes in east africa first caught and spread this disease thanks to the bush-meat trade and eating apes.

I don't know about mass quarantine / leper colony ideas that sounds like a zombie movie. :-O

Good thing a good sized population of northern europeans are naturally immune to HIV/AIDS anyways. :thumbup

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2005/01/66198

Psychonaut
Sunday, September 21st, 2008, 01:58 AM
As an HIV infected individual, the rights and interests of society should come before those of the individual. I think they should be treated like the lepers were, and live separated from the rest of us. Infecting someone with HIV should be a capital offence in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more. AIDS is so dangerous because one can go for years infecting others without showing any visible symptoms. Also, AIDS is one of those diseases that is entirely preventable, so long as one isn't a promiscuous drug user. Knowingly giving HIV to anyone is an unforgivable crime that should be punished with a summary execution.

CrystalRose
Sunday, September 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM
I believe patients have the right to privacy but when it comes to putting others health in danger.. like Patrioten said: "HIV infected individuals must notify sexual partners, dentists and medical personnel of their disease beforehand. They are also barred from donating stuff from their bodies, naturally." It only seems fair to those in contact with the person. I don't see why anyone would want to live longer with HIV/AIDS. Can't have children.. It just gives them that much more time to spread it. I suppose we're hoping it will lead to a cure. In the meantime It's not fair for the rest of society to live in fear of this autoimmune disease. Anyone who knowingly infects someone should be charged with premeditated murder. As a precaution employers should have the right to know especially if they’re working in close contact with people and/or machinery. To protect it’s employees, or so that the co-worker(s) can protect themselves if an accident were to occur.

Thrymheim
Sunday, September 21st, 2008, 05:27 AM
How about tattooing? strategically placed tattoos on genitalia and the inside of the mouth could be used, these would not show in normal life and therefore general welfare would not be ruined, (after all there are many (mainly women) who have been infected by their husbands, and one can hardly blame them for it) However such tattoos could be easily seen if you were needing to do health procedures on the person and or wished to have a relationship with them.

Rainraven
Saturday, September 27th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I think if someone has HIV/AIDS and puts people in risk by not telling them then they deserve to have it!!

I think if all necessary precautions are taken and there is no possibility of the person infecting another then there is no reason why they shouldn't live in normal society. However as soon as they are a risk to anyone other than themselves then neccessary action has to be taking so this doesn't occur. If this happened then there is no reason as to why HIV/AIDS needs to be a problem at all.

Maelstrom
Sunday, September 28th, 2008, 12:29 AM
If I ever somehow contracted AIDs I would isolate, if not kill myself.

Of course lots of people don't think like me, I can imagine it being a problem for very orthodox Christians or others that don't believe in suicide.

What people need to understand is that society as a whole is infinitely more important than them.

Pino
Tuesday, September 30th, 2008, 07:04 PM
People with Aids should first of all be castrated and be banned from all competitive sports, is that fair? Ofcourse it's not fair but neither is having a nation full of Aids and thanks to our idiot superiors in charge who dont screen any African immigrants for Aids the problem looks like it's going to get worse.

The aids problem in western contries was COMPLETELY 100% avoidable.

Elgar
Wednesday, October 1st, 2008, 01:00 AM
I have to say, folks, I am shocked at the lack of compassion you all show.

I imagine being diagnosed as HIV+ must be very traumatic and given the stigma associated with the virus, coming to terms with a death sentence is only compounded by the lack of sympathy and loneliness the tragic individual will endure.

I remember being utterly shocked and appalled by a colleague´s remark once, when we discussed the case of a woman infected on holiday. He said he´d try to give it to as many people as he could. Outrageous, but I think that would be a minorities´ reaction, though obviously there needs to be sanctions in place to discourage that sort of mentality.

Patrioten
Wednesday, October 1st, 2008, 01:58 AM

I imagine being diagnosed as HIV+ must be very traumatic and given the stigma associated with the virus, coming to terms with a death sentence is only compounded by the lack of sympathy and loneliness the tragic individual will endure.

I remember being utterly shocked and appalled by a colleague´s remark once, when we discussed the case of a woman infected on holiday. He said he´d try to give it to as many people as he could. Outrageous, but I think that would be a minorities´ reaction, though obviously there needs to be sanctions in place to discourage that sort of mentality.The few that didn't get infected by engaging in morally and legally questionable acts (homosexuality, sex with foreigners and drug use) I can have compassion for. I cannot imagine the horror of getting HIV from a blood transfusion because some HIV infected individual was allowed to slip through the system and give blood for example. But how many of the infected in our own societies belong to this categhory? Not many. The infected are found among drug users, homosexuals and individuals who have sex with foreigners, particularly European women who have sex with african males and European men who have sex with asian prostitutes on their vacation in Thailand.

The interests of the many must come before the individual in this matter. It is not just a desease, it is a plague. A plague that can be made to go away by the choices that individuals make: don't have sex with foreigners, don't do drugs and don't commit homosexual acts, and also by banning risk groups from donating blood and checking all blood givers' blood before every blood giving session, deporting the racially foreign elements and halting immigration from racially foreign nations. It is to a large extent preventable, but the risk groups that keep on spreading it in our society and putting everyone else at risk through potential situations of contact do not care because they are more interested in their "right" to engage in the behaviour of their choice.

Loddfafner
Wednesday, October 1st, 2008, 02:18 AM
It is a matter of what strategy is most effective for public health. What works is a climate of confidential testing where a positive result leads to medication and to responsible sexual behavior that contains the disease. Some do continue with reckless behavior but most do not. If a positive test were to lead to automatic public condemnation, isolation, and incarceration then that would deter people from getting tested. They would carry on with irresponsible, reckless behavior spreading the disease further.

The principle is the same as for why a free economy is generally stronger than a planned one.

It would be disastrous for public policy to cater to the imaginative fears of the sort who think that AIDS is a form of cooties.

Oski
Wednesday, October 1st, 2008, 02:36 AM

I remember being utterly shocked and appalled by a colleague´s remark once, when we discussed the case of a woman infected on holiday. He said he´d try to give it to as many people as he could. Outrageous, but I think that would be a minorities´ reaction, though obviously there needs to be sanctions in place to discourage that sort of mentality.

Compassion is difficult for most people.

Even Hitler worried about germanics and their health and contagious sexual diseases. I believe deportation of non-germanics coupled with advanced health care for germanics (with or without HIV) would be a realistic and responsible solution rather than a rabid witch hunt.

Pino
Friday, October 3rd, 2008, 10:42 AM

I do have compassion for those who contracted it in un-forseen circumstances but like Patrioten this just generally speaking is not the case. Anybody who gets themselfs so much into a drug addiction that they carn't even resist sticking a needle in themselfs right after 3 other addicts have used it get no sympathy from me in my people, they are not in need of help they have degenerated into somthing which cannot even be described as human, the same goes for homosexuals.

The situations of blood tranfusions in hospitals is also avoidable once you remove homosexuals, druggies and race traitors who have sex with other races from society. H.I.V wont be around for people to donate there blood to hospitals in order for it to spread.

As I've said the Aids problem in western countries has been COMPLETELY avoidable and our incompetent governments have once again let us down and now we have the black plague nocking on our doorsteps waiting to engulf the nation like it has in Africa.

and if extreme measures are not taken soon this will happen, no it's not very compassionate or fair on the aids victims but I wouldn't say it's very compassionate or fair on the future generations of this country who will all be born with aids and have life expectencys of 8 in 70 years time or so.

Fortis_in_Arduis
Friday, October 3rd, 2008, 11:47 AM
I really cannot say. On one hand quarantining people with HIV might be a good idea, but it is hardly someone's fault if their partner has been playing away and infects them.

Of course, people with it should disclose it when necessary and to knowingly infect someone should be a capital offence.

The ultimate solution would be to just remove everyone who is infected with HIV from society.

In Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh's ashram in India (where 'free love' is practised) it is required to have an HIV test before entry.

Again like the issue of drugs, and so forth, I think that landlords, employers and communities should have the right to impose their own rules and restrictions.

If people want to exclude people with HIV, they should be allowed to.

Nachtengel
Friday, October 3rd, 2008, 01:26 PM

If compassion means allowing a person with a contageous disease to roam free as s/he wishes and keep the disease a secret, then I have no compassion, true enough. Think about it, that person is also likely to have contacted the disease because someone else was irresponsible and s/he didn't know s/he was infected. There are more important things than the privacy of the contageously sick. It can't come with the price of potentially infecting other people. How would you feel if you had sex with your girlfriend and she had AIDS, but she would only confess to you after it's already done? Wouldn't you wish you had known? Wouldn't you fear being infected? Wouldn't you resent her at least a little bit? Maybe it's just me, but I like to know the kind of people I come in contact with. :|

Mrs. Lyfing
Friday, October 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
Having Aids is such a wide topic. I mean we say this and we say that, but how many of us actually test our future mate before sex? How often do you test yourself? It is a scary thing because it may just spread like fire, and once infected there is really no way you can control it. It is out of your hands now, but the one thing you could control is informing others, maybe only...when involving yourself in something that could cause the spread of the disease.

I don't think a person w/ aids should wear a name tag called aids but I do think there should be some sort of affirmative action of confession when getting personal with innocent outsiders. Question is...how can that work?

Pino
Saturday, October 4th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Having Aids is such a wide topic. I mean we say this and we say that, but how many of us actually test our future mate before sex? How often do you test yourself? It is a scary thing because it may just spread like fire, and once infected there is really no way you can control it. It is out of your hands now, but the one thing you could control is informing others, maybe only...when involving yourself in something that could cause the spread of the disease.

I don't think a person w/ aids should wear a name tag called aids but I do think there should be some sort of affirmative action of confession when getting personal with innocent outsiders. Question is...how can that work?

Yes I have never tested a partner, but most of us who would probably know the person they are having sex with will know there history and unless they went and lived in Nigeria for 5 years and admitted to having sex orgys there, or if they dont have a background of drug abuse then the chances of them having Aids in western countries is like what not even 1 in a million?

If things carry on how it's going there will be a time when people will have to be very careful about who they sleep with because that many people will have aids. At this present time in our societys sleeping with people who have lead half decent lives is not really an Aids issue.

Becky Smith
Saturday, October 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Our laws say that HIV infected individuals must notify sexual partners, dentists and medical personel of their desease beforehand. They are also barred from donating stuff from their bodies, naturally.

Yes, but, do they notify these people? A few weeks ago here in Memphis a black man who was an assistant life guard at a community pool, raped a 17 year old girl at knifepoint. After his arrest, he admitted he was HIV positive and claimed he had been having unprotected sex with multiple partners, including many underage girls. He also had a criminal history which included rape. My personal opinion is that he should be either sentenced to death or kept in solitary confinement for the rest of his life, but, the laws here don't work that way. There was a man in Tennessee arrested for having sexual relations with someone when he knew he was HIV infected and he only got probation.

Many of these people don't care what happens to anyone else because they are already infected, and many continue to purposefully infect others out of anger or revenge.

A woman on television stated that when she actually DID contact her previous lovers, the majority of them stated "you could not have gotten it from me" and "i'm not dirty" and refused to be tested, even though she obviously was infected by one of them, and possibly had passed it on to the others. None of them agreed to be tested and continued to live the same way they always had. As if it doesn't even exist. HIV and the reasons for contracting HIV have been known about for a long time, yet, people continue to get it. I just can't think of any ways to make it stop, other than MAKING it stop.

Fortis_in_Arduis
Sunday, October 5th, 2008, 11:32 AM
At this present time in our societys sleeping with people who have lead half decent lives is not really an Aids issue.

It is certainly true the the scaremongering of the 80s exaggerated the AIDS 'epidemic', but you try saying what you have just said to the person who became HIV positive, not from promiscuous sex or intravenous drug use, but from a blood transfusion (there is still no sure way to screen out HIV from donated blood) or another 'innocent' form of transmission.

The situation is perhaps not so bad that we should quarantine people with HIV, but this would quickly put a stop to it spreading.

It is a horrible disease, and people who die of AIDS die with horrible cancers, and infections which are just unmentionably unpleasant. Imagine your body turning to liquid whilst you are still alive.

You are not wrong in perhaps implying that there is a scourge of immorality but I think that there is a tendency to be nostalgic in imagining that in former times people did not have illicit affairs, and that rape and paeophilia and drug abuse did not exist, and so it goes on.

We live complex metropolitan lives and no one is safe from these diseases, and who is to say that there are not other diseases which have not been discovered yet? Of course there are, and they might be worse than HIV, a virus which mutates rapidly.

Yes... morality and fidelity are our best defences against misfortune and they should be our first defence.

So, I am a virgin and I am going to marry another virgin for life (and live happily ever after) and never have an affair, never share a note when I take coke (because I never ever do that...) and never have a blood transfusion, ever...

Perhaps I am little naive, but I think that a lot of these ideas about fidelity and morality are rules laid down by men for women and lesser men anyway, and the lords and archbishops and the legislators and the moralists (mostly men) have done whatever they wanted, whilst using the rules to their own advantage and to facilitate property laws and other laws which make technocratic societies function more smoothly for the economic elites.

I do not want to suggest moral relativism, but when I encounter moral absolutism I get the same feeling I feel when someone is trying to rip me off.

Patrioten
Wednesday, October 22nd, 2008, 03:49 PM
http://www.svd.se/nyheter/inrikes/artikel_1922651.svd (In Swedish)

Our disease control agency thinks that the punishment for knowingly spreading HIV is too high and wants it to be lowered. In Swedish law it is currently counted as aggravated assault and can in theory lead to 10 years in prison (but anyone familiar with the Swedish justice system will know that the courts almost never uses the top scale in sentencing, especially not in crimes such as aggravated assault).

The man responsible for the HIV-unti at the disease control agency says that it is "unfortunate" that they have singled out HIV in the law, even though other diseases such as Hepathitis C isn't (so if one of them isn't, neither one of them should be, nice logic).

- Den här praxisen kom till när hiv var något nytt och stigmatiserat och där sjukdomen var hundra procent dödlig. Så är det ju inte i dag när vi har bra bromsmediciner. Praxis borde anpassas till dagens verklighet.

- This praxis came to be when HIV was something new and stigmatized and where the disease was 100% lethal. That is not the case today when we have good medicines that slow it down. Praxis should be adjusted to today's reality.

Recently the disease control agency refused to check a blood sample from a suspected HIV-positive woman when asked by an attorney, even though they have done so for the last 15 years. The generaldirector of the agency defended this but was unsure about whether they had the legal right to refuse such testing when asked by the court.

That's the agency that is supposed to protect us from infectious diseases...

I was reminded by the story a while ago where 4 HIV-positive homosexual men raped other homosexuals and injected them with a mix of blood from all four of them, giving 11 of 13 i think it was HIV. Today we are seeing an increase in homosexual rapes (hmmm, I wonder why, it cannot possibly be because of the recent change in laws and attitudes in society towards homosexuality now can it?), does anyone doubt the fact that we'll be seeing alot more of this in the future? There has already been cases of non-homosexual men being attacked and raped by homosexuals, what is there to say that something like this couldn't happen to a non-homosexual? Injecting infected blood into their victims.

These people need to be stopped.

Ulf
Wednesday, October 22nd, 2008, 07:54 PM
Tattoo on their head and castration. We'll have that problem fixed in no time.

Oski
Thursday, October 23rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
Tattoo on their head and castration. We'll have that problem fixed in no time.

How would you castrate a woman? Or how bout a man's rear end? Sew em up?

How bout just kill them, their kids and the kids that came into contact on the playground...

Then lets send their quarantined vile bodies into the sun!

:|

Mrs. Lyfing
Thursday, October 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
If I had AIDS or HIV I would want to be fully educated on how it can be passed to others.

Then, I would take that information and when being social or sexual, I would take into consideration if he/she needs to be informed or... do I want to exclude myself from the situation because I do not want to tell him/her.

Does the grocery buggy tell you some kids just wiped his booger germs on it? Does the handle to the restroom scream STOP! Na, sure don't. :D ( humor )

Point kinda was, today, there ain't no telling what one might get or see another get!

But, yes, people with HIV and AIDs need to inform others when needed not wear a tattoo on forehead. ;)

Pino
Friday, October 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM
If I had AIDS or HIV I would want to be fully educated on how it can be passed to others.

Then, I would take that information and when being social or sexual, I would take into consideration if he/she needs to be informed or... do I want to exclude myself from the situation because I do not want to tell him/her.

Does the grocery buggy tell you some kids just wiped his booger germs on it? Does the handle to the restroom scream STOP! Na, sure don't. :D ( humor )

Point kinda was, today, there ain't no telling what one might get or see another get!

But, yes, people with HIV and AIDs need to inform others when needed not wear a tattoo on forehead. ;)

You are a sensible person who would take others into consideration with your infection, it is wrong and naive to think others or even most would have the same attitude, some idiots would even wish to pass it about. This is why authority must step in if sombody contracts it.