PDA

View Full Version : Mead Recipe

Blutwölfin
Tuesday, May 3rd, 2005, 11:56 PM
Mead - 5 gallon recipe

8-10 lbs pure raw honey (for light, delicate Mead)
(or) 12-13 " " " " (for medium sweet Mead)
(or) 15-16 " " " " (for very sweet or alcoholic Mead)
4-5 gallons purified spring water (not distilled)
3 tsp. yeast nutrient (or 5 tablets)
1 tsp. acid blend (combination malic/citric acid)
5-7 oz. sliced fresh ginger root (1 finger's length)
1/4 tsp. fresh rosemary (optional, as desired)
5-6 whole cloves (optional, as desired)
1-2 vanilla beans (optional, as desired)
cinnamon/nutmeg (optional, as desired)
lime/orange peels (optional, as desired)
crushed fruit (peaches, strawberries, grapes, etc.)
1 tsp. Irish Moss (to clarify Mead)
1/2 tsp. clear gelatin (to clarify Mead)
1 spotted newt's tail (optional, as desired :)
1 packet yeast (champagne or ale yeast)

Heat spring water 10-15 minutes till boiling. Stir in honey, yeast nutrients, acid blend, and spices (rosemary, ginger, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, lemon peel). Boil for another 10-15 minutes, (overcooking removes too much honey flavor), skimming off foam as needed (2 to 3 times during last 15 minutes). After 15 minutes, add Irish Moss or clear gelatin to clarify. After last skimming, turn off heat, add crushed fruit, and let steep 15-30 minutes while allowing mead to cool and clarify. After mead begins to clear, strain off fruit with hand skimmer and pour mead through strainer funnel into 5 gallon glass carboy jug.
Let cool to room temperature about 24 hours. After 24 hours, warm up 1 cup of mead in microwave, stir in 1 packet "Red Star" Champagne, Montrechet, or Epernet yeast (or Ale yeast in order to make mead ale), and let sit for 5-15 minutes to allow yeast to begin to work. Add this mead/yeast mixture to carboy jug and swirl around to aerate, thereby adding oxygen to mead/yeast mixture.

Place run-off tube in stopper of bottle, with other end of tube in large bowl or bottle to capture "blow-off" froth. Let mead sit undisturbed 7 days in cool, dark area. After initial violent fermenting slows down and mead begins to settle, rack off (siphon off) good mead into clean sterilized jug, leaving all sediment in bottom of first jug. Attach airlock to this secondary carboy. After 4-6 months, mead will clear. During this time, if more sediment forms on bottom, good mead can be racked off again to another clean sterilized jug.

When bottling, in order to add carbonation, add either 1/4 tsp. white table sugar per 12 oz bottle, or stir in 1/2 to 1 lb raw honey per 5 gallons mead (by first dissolving honey with a small amount of mead or pure water in microwave).

Death and the Sun
Wednesday, May 4th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Thanks. :viking1:

Too bad the typical type of year for drinking mead here ended just a few days ago. Perhaps I'll try this next spring. :)

This gave me another idea: perhaps we should have a "traditional recipes" thread?

Sonja
Wednesday, May 4th, 2005, 06:31 AM
This gave me another idea: perhaps we should have a "traditional recipes" thread? :85563001: :vote_yes: :ja:

Aptrgangr
Wednesday, May 4th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks. :viking1:

Too bad the typical type of year for drinking mead here ended just a few days ago. Perhaps I'll try this next spring. :)

This gave me another idea: perhaps we should have a "traditional recipes" thread?

Good idea! :beer1:

Kriegersohn
Friday, September 12th, 2008, 07:59 PM
How many Heathens here brew their own mead? Personally I find it to be a greater gift to the folk, ancestors, land wights and gods when it is homemade. I see as this mostly because it is imbued with our own time and energy...a personal touch rather than some of the mass produced, commerically available meads out there. Currently I have four different batches going, each with different honeys: Wild flower, Clover, Alfalfa and Golden Rod. Choke cherry will be my next one.:D

For those that do, any preference on recipe? As for me, my usual:

12 lbs. unfiltered, raw honey
5 gallons mountain spring water (although I did use Norwegian glacial water on one, it is a bit on the pricey side though)
1 cup of green tea (for the tannin)
1 lemon rind, used only after the must has been heated and mixed
1 teaspoon of yeast energizer
I prefer to use the liquid yeasts (normally the Merlot yeast) but also use the dry yeast (Montroche) on occasion. I've found the liquid yeasts a little more "violent" and it seems to churn the batch a bit harder than the dry although either will do.

Place it in a 6-1/2 gallon carboy w/ an airlock and rack it out every month or every other depending on the weather.

I also have a German recipe from 1888 (which is a little different) that my mother gave me that I use for special batches.

Hersir
Friday, September 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I have brewed both mead, beer, dunder and now im brewing blueberrywine. Should make another batch of mead for yule and midwinterblot (4 weeks after wintersolstice)

Om norrøn drikkekultur og hvordan brygge mjød: http://www.arild-hauge.com/mead.htm (about norse drinking culture and how to brew mead)

5 gallons mountain spring water (although I did use Norwegian glacial water on one, it is a bit on the pricey side though) Haha, funniest thing I've read today.

Kriegersohn
Saturday, September 13th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I have brewed both mead, beer, dunder and now im brewing blueberrywine. Should make another batch of mead for yule and midwinterblot (4 weeks after wintersolstice)

Om norrøn drikkekultur og hvordan brygge mjød: http://www.arild-hauge.com/mead.htm (about norse drinking culture and how to brew mead)

You know, I took a look at the article and realized how much my Norwegian sucks. :D It'll take me a bit to go through it, I haven't tried speaking much less reading Norwegian in a few years. On another note, a friend of mine made dandelion wine...actually wasn't too bad.

Haha, funniest thing I've read today.

Have to try different things on occasion, hehe glad someone liked it. :-D:

Psychonaut
Saturday, September 13th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Another mead maker checking in. I made my first batch about six months ago. It turned out a bit sour and quite dry. I was hoping to have a batch ready for Yule, but I don't think I'll be able to get another batch ready in time. I want to do a melomel next time, perhaps blackberry or strawberry.

Grimsteinr
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I began making wine, in the late 1960's........
I switched to Mead making in about 1991, when I became Asatru.
I also took up home-brewing beer, along about there.

I do the brewing for a small Kindred, for all our Kindred Blots as well as our
own home use. We mostly only use our Mead for Ritual or Celebratory uses.
My Dark & Amber Ales are generally the beverage shared, around here.
I'm making Ale today. I have 9 gal. of good Mead aging, now.
Oh, I hate corking, so I put up my Mead in champagne bottles. It's easier
to use all crown caps, than corks. You need a lot of bottles, though.

I like my Mead a bit stronger. I use 15 #'s of good clover Honey for a
5 gallon batch. And I like a good Braggot, or Malted Mead.
For my Braggot, I use 12 to 14#'s of Clover Honey and 3#'s or dry
dark or amber malt extract.
The trick to get more complete fermentation, for me is to use one pkg. of
Montrache Yeast, and 1 pkg. of Champagne Yeast, sprinkled dry, on top of the must. It works off totally dry, each time.

But, we like our Mead sweeter. We like to taste the Honey.
So when I rack it, I add 1/2 tsp. of Sorbate, to stabilize it. and then I add
10 oz. or so of Honey. I let it sit, for 30 to 60 days to assimilate.
It comes out right strong and very sweet.

I also find that adding 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of grape tannin, to the Must, gives my Mead a more balanced Character.
My Braggot has a great Character, too.

Don't you just love Brewing?

Halfr
Sunday, March 22nd, 2009, 11:02 PM
I've been brewing and making mead for a few years now. Right now I make around three batches every six months. As I said in the homebrewing thread I specialize in making brews based on locally available ingredients that I try to harvest myself, as much as I can. I try to create brews that could be seen in a norse household. I'm currently trying to do some experiments with wild yeast.

rainman
Sunday, March 22nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
This seems to be a little known fact: mead was not a common drink among the Norse. Noting that Norse culture comes from a common Aryan culture I'd like to comment on honey. It was very expensive in the past. It was also equated with the sacred drink "Ambrosia" akin to Vedic "Soma". Mead, Ambrosia, and Soma are all made with honey and are varations of the same Aryan tradition to different climates. Later to some degree Wine even played this role. Honey has many amazing attributes. It is anti-bacterial and can be applied to wounds which it also is an anti-coagulent (slows bleeding). It also does not go bad when stored and tastes great. Thus mead was a drink of royalty and for special religious occasions and such. Yes it was written about and sung about a lot but the common peasant seldom drunk it.

What you would see around the table in the Norse was beer. Of course in modern times honey is cheaply available so I guess if you want to brew it all the time do so, but understand the significance of it.

Basically from what I can tell the sacred drink represents the body of a human being. "Ambrosia" literally means blood and guts in Greek. Similar to "blot" (pronounced blowt). Soma in Greek means body. I think the old Vedas had some cognate there. The Christian tradition carries this over as well. The body of the human being is a vessel of the gods (sort of a gnostic belief which was corrupted later by the Christian church wanting to control others by depriving them of any personal connection to the divine, thus they could only get it through the church). Also the intoxication is supposed to serve some purpose. Maybe relates to Shamanic practice. It inspires poetry and a spiritual experience. It can also be used to help with folk binding and the socialization process. Of course this is what I deduce from the common thread running through these various Aryan religions. Some people may disagree with me and unless we can travel back in time we may never know.

Halfr
Tuesday, March 24th, 2009, 06:51 PM
No secret there. Mead had a religious, mythical significance, but you'd probably go along time between the times you found yourself with some of it in your cup.

Ale was, as you said, by far more common. Which is pretty natural, given that the ingredients are both cheaper and easier to obtain. I use ale at least as much in ritual toasts as anything else.

Runesinger
Friday, April 24th, 2009, 06:39 AM
According to the Hymiskvitha of the Elder Edda, ale was the particular ritual drink of the sea-god Aegir, so it's not just a drink of the commoners.

I brew mead myself. I won first place at the state fair for a mead brew I call Shaman's Special. It has mugwort and hawthorne berries flavoring it. :D

drpkckmrphy
Thursday, December 10th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I've got a just under 6gal batch and a little 1gal batch of meads going right now. The bigger batch is just a traditional sweet mead made with just honey, water and yeast. I started this one on 9-27-09. It has been done fermenting for a while, I'm trying to let it drop clear without using any fining agent in it;)
The smaller batch I put in a cinnamon stick, a couple cloves, and a pinch or so of nutmeg. We'll see how that turns out.

I think I need to start brewing beer though to fill in the gaps between batches of mead... Mead takes a lot of time. My godi makes tons of beer and mead every year and actually got me interested in brewing to begin with. I have fun with it.

Honestly I had my oldest daughter put all the ingredients together for the bigger batch I have going right now:) She always seems interested when I put a batch together so I walked her through it. She had a great time.

Hail the Aesir!
Hail the Vanir!
Hail the Folk!

drpkckmrphy
Sunday, December 13th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Alright, The just under 6 gallon batch has been done fermenting for a while now. I have been waiting on it to start clearing but after talking to a much more experienced mead maker, I found that with the large amount of honey I used it may not clear on its own for a long, long time. So today I racked the mead off the lees it's been sitting on into a fermentation bucket. I then boiled a pint of water and added 5 tspns of sparaloid to the water and continued the boil for a few minutes, stirring until it was all well dispersed and creamy. I then removed the slurry from the heat, let it stand for just a minute or two, then poured it into the mead still hot and stirred it up well. I then racked the mead back into the glass carboy and put it away where it wont be bothered. I gather it should clear up the mead in about 2-4 weeks.

The little 1 gallon batch of spiced mead I have, I racked it today into another 1 gallon glass carboy to get it off the lees and off the spices as well. I sampled a small bit of it and the cinnamon and cloves come through good without being overwhelming at all. I have high hopes for it too. I think with aging these meads will come out quite good. I'll keep ya posted on any changes.

Hail the Aesir!
Hail the Vanir!
Hail th Folk!

Vindefense
Monday, December 14th, 2009, 01:13 AM
We're (myself and a good friend) are getting ready to do two batches as well. It is just a matter of racking the two 61/2 gallon carboys of hard cider we did early this month. One has 5lbs of honey and the other has 8 ounces of sweet blackberries. Should be tasty, we did a batch in June and it did not last long although I did stash some bottles for next year.;)

I think the plan will be to do two batches of semi-sweet first, rack them into 6 gallon carboys and pitch 2 more batches, one with blackberries and one with blueberries. This schedule should yield us about 20 gallons of mead and 15 gallons of cider/year. :) That's about all I have room for, for now...

drpkckmrphy
Monday, December 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Good you could stash a couple bottles! I find that very hard to do. hmhmhm. I'm gonna try to put back some bottles of these for as long as possible. I'm gonna try to start a trend of putting back at least 2 bottles from each batch I make for at least a couple years. We'll see how that works out;)

Hail Odin!
Hail Thor!
Hail Tyr!
Hail Frigga!