PDA

View Full Version : Mythbusters Blocked From Revealing RFID Myths

GroeneWolf
Monday, September 8th, 2008, 07:30 PM
There is push towards getting these thing everywhere. Here in the Netherlands one can see the following posters :

http://www.dierenchip.nl/images/chipPoster_2007.jpg

Encouraging people to put microchips in their pets. Alto not nessarly directly related to RFID it does help make the population ready for the next step. The gradual chipping of the human population. So of course we will be more easly monitered. And now the article (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Mythbuster-RFID-HOPE,6313.html) I found :

If you were ever hoping to see an episode of Mythbusters busting the myths behind RFID security, you might be saddened to hear it looks like that will never happen, and not due to a lack of interest either.

Adam Savage of Mythbusters, when speaking to the audience of The Last HOPE hacker conference, revealed why RFID has become a bit of a taboo topic at Discovery Channel. In response to an audience question about revisiting RFID as an episode, Adam responds, “Dude, the RFID thing. I’m sorry. It just is not going to happen. ... Here’s what happened. I’m not sure how much of this story I’m allowed to tell, but I’ll tell you what I know.” Mythbusters did cover RFID in an episode last January, but did not focus on RFID security concerns.

After some cheers from the audience, Adam says, “We were going to do RFID and on several levels, you know, how hackable, how reliable, how trackable, etc., etc., and one of our researchers called up Texas Instruments and they arranged a conference call between, I think, Tory and the head producer over there for the other team, Linda Wolkovitch, and one of the technicians at Texas Instruments. We were supposed to have a conference call to talk about the technology on like Tuesday at 10 am and Tuesday at 10 am, Linda and Tori get on the phone and they.. uh.. Texas Instruments comes on, along with the chief legal council for American Express, Visa, Discover, and everybody else.”

Adam continues, “I got chills just as I described it. They were way way out-gunned and they absolutely made it clear to Discovery they were not going to air this episode talking about how hackable this stuff was and Discovery backed way down, being a large corporation who depends upon the revenue of the advertisers. Uh, and now it’s on Discovery’s radar and they won’t let us go near it. So I’m sorry. It’s just one of those things, but man, that was.. Tory still gets a little white when he describes that phone conversation.”

On one episode of Mythbusters, biometric security is visited and attempts are made to see if fingerprint scanners, for example, could be bypassed easily. Sure enough, the Mythbusters were able to beat the fingerprint scanners, several ways. It is not surprising that such a popular show, attempting to publicize possible faults in RFID technology, would garner the attention of certain companies. With RFID chips finding their way into our credit cards, passports, and many other aspects of our lives, trusting the technology with our security and privacy is becoming an everyday scenario.

As Adam stated, some of the aspects of RFID that would be covered by Mythbusters, if they had their way, would include how hackable they are, how reliable they are, and how easy they are to track. Some security experts fear information stored on RFID chips could be read remotely by strangers, such as the personal information stored on credit cards or passports that use vulnerable RFID chips. While typically an RFID chip used in a credit card, for example, is designed to be read from only a short distance away, some believe as far as 40-feet away is possible. There are also concerns that the data encryption and other means of added security given to some RFID chips may be vulnerable.

It seems RFID-related myths regarding whether a person should be worried about the having their credit cards cloned, having their identity stolen, or just having a store know who they are and what is in their wallet when they walk in will just have to remain myths on Mythbusters.

[...]

Praetorianer
Monday, September 8th, 2008, 08:08 PM
According to an article in a german newspaper (I canīt find an english version) there already was a conference in Bielefeld a few days ago. It was stated that there is a club in Barcelona (Baja Beach Club), where you can only enter a special VIP-lounge with this kind of chip. Kirstie Ball, a guest at this conference, said, that this technology will soon sprawl out in Europe.

An interesting question would be, whether they can not only trace the people with this chips, but also even poison them. :|

Teuton
Monday, September 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM
According to an article in a german newspaper (I canīt find an english version) there already was a conference in Bielefeld a few days ago. There was stated that there is a club in Barcelona (Baja Beach Club), where you can only enter a special VIP-lounge with this kind of chip. Kirstie Ball, a guest at this conference, stated, that this technology will soon sprawl out in Europe.

An interesting quesdtion would be, whether they can not only trace the people with this chips, but also even poison them. :|

I think if something like that happened, we would be in an even more Orwelian world, horrible.

CrystalRose
Tuesday, September 9th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Sure, it sounds innocent and comforting now, until your privacy and rights are thrown out the window. It seems they're trying to make this as main stream as possible so people are more inclined to get the chip in their pets. And eventually their children. Making parents paranoid until they do so. Who's to say what the chip can or can't do to our health, privacy, and so-called rights. Sounds more or less like a barcode. we'll have to scan into everything from work, cars, etc. We've already got cameras at intersections to 'give tickets'. (not to spy or anything like that:P) Chips in our cars, now us? I don't think so. :| I wouldn't get the chip, too many 'what if' questions. I can understand why they don't want the truth out there in a negative light. Because they want people to be open to the idea of it.

Reminds me of..
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
or other 'futuristic type' books

GroeneWolf
Tuesday, September 9th, 2008, 10:43 AM
An interesting question would be, whether they can not only trace the people with this chips, but also even poison them. :|

Poison not realy. But I also read of chips that are being tested to control the behaivor of animels.

Praetorianer
Tuesday, September 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't get the chip, too many 'what if' questions.

When there is no hardcash anymore you might need them to pay for your food. ;)

CrystalRose
Tuesday, September 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM
When there is no hardcash anymore you might need them to pay for your food. ;)

That's what I fear. Which is why i'm against it even being planted into animals. I envision people growing comfortable with the idea of the chip in animals. And figure why not humans? And see no harm in it. Especially when they market it in a positive light. And most people get their information from the TV. :thumbdown If shows like Mythbusters aren't 'allowed' to talk about the pro's/cons of the chip people will just assume everyone's doing it so it must be ok. I suppose if the masses are easily brainwashed maybe they deserve to be controlled by a chip because they're too dumb to funtion on their own. :P

Crimson Guard
Tuesday, September 9th, 2008, 10:26 PM
This lowjack on a pet is unbelievable, not really a fan of the idea either . For scientific reasons out in the field with wild animals I can understand, but regular pets not really. For humans, they kinda already do this, with criminals.

Scary stuff, makes the Nazi's look like choirs boys compared with some of the things they may want to do under the guise of Democracy and Freedom..Soon we'll all be bar coded and laser scanned. The hell with that!

odinruler
Friday, September 12th, 2008, 09:02 AM
It can only lead to further erosion of freedoms.

Angharad
Friday, September 12th, 2008, 11:43 AM
There are already people with implants in Mexico. The technology is pretty primitive right now.

Here's an article on them:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=satellites-track-mexico-k

It seems that there is so much kidnapping in Mexico that some people are getting the implants because they are so afraid. They are putting RIFD chips in new American passports now. Mine is currently last-generation, so no chip (yet).

However, there is already a lot of non-implant tracking going on.

I talked to a guy who put a tracker in his daughter's car, he knows where she drives and her rate of speed.

I also know one mom who uses the tracking function on her son's cellphone to check up on him. I am not sure that she has told her son that she's tracking him though. He's just happy because he can download music and video to his phone, I'm wondering how long it will take for him to realize that his mom has ulterior motives for being that generous. ;)

Cythraul
Friday, September 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM
We'll be pushed to fear everything if that's what it takes to make us accept the RFID chips. And if that fails, as Harm Wulf said, the Governments will make survival without the chip impossible. It will happen eventually. But those of us who are awake in mind and spirit must always remember our principles and fight to remain free of this kind of control.

^ A dramatic scenario I know, but if we prepare for the worst, we can withstand anything.