Franks

1493664015999801126&hl=en

Lombards

1853123231903114120&hl=en

Vandals

5960030150373686358&hl=en

Aemma
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM
This looks like an interesting series! Thank you for bringing it to the fore. It puts me in mind of an interesting book I read this past summer called Barbarians: An Alternative Roman History by Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame) and Alan Ereira. It takes a different look at Roman history in terms of the positive attributes offered by these so-called 'barbarian' civilisations and makes an argument that it was the Romans who were in the end more brutal and barbaric than the folk from these particular civilisations. Truly an interesting read.

Has anyone else read this book? [Well H., I know you have so... :D]

Frith...Aemma

Hrafnmann
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM
This looks like an interesting series! Thank you for bringing it to the fore. It puts me in mind of an interesting book I read this past summer called Barbarians: An Alternative Roman History by Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame) and Alan Ereira. It takes a different look at Roman history in terms of the positive attributes offered by these so-called 'barbarian' civilisations and makes an argument that it was the Romans who were in the end more brutal and barbaric than the folk from these particular civilisations. Truly an interesting read.

Frith...Aemma

Yes, I read the book and it was thoroughly refreshing and more inline with reality. For too long we have been fed by classicists and xianity who have held sway in academia about how great Rome was and the superiority of all things Roman at the expense of our indigenous culture. Such a slap in the face to our ancient ancestors. Words like 'vandal' and 'goth' have been corrupted and used as disparaging terms are shining examples of this perversion of history. Frankly, I'm glad to see such books make it to print that say "Bollocks!" to all this. It is unfortunate that most tv series water down anything about our ancient past, for even in the series above I believe they make biased comments in favour of xianity and Rome, but we should be glad these series are made at all. A good starting point to capture folks' imagination who are ignorant of their own kind which hopefully leads to further inquiry into their own illustrious past.

And yes, Aemma, are you not glad I made you stick your Frankish nose in said book? :D

Hauke Haien
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I have also posted a German-dubbed version of the Goths episode in the Germanen Documentary thread and a German documentary on the Saxon Wars in a separate thread.

We should approach a historical view that includes Rome as a means to an end for Germanics, who conquered much of its former territory. This roughly corresponds to the view Romanised peoples like the French and Spanish already had for centuries. It is anachronistic to judge Germanics based on how much of Roman "civilization" they preserved since we no longer need to appease the Southrons and we should focus instead on that which is either specific or useful to us.

From what I gather, their major point of pride seems to be that they already lived in graves when we still preferred beautiful longhouses and other house forms built from healthier materials.

Morning Wolf
Wednesday, December 10th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I just watched the Gothic one, it was great. :thumbup

Aemma
Friday, December 12th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I just watched the Gothic one, it was great. :thumbup

And I just finished watching the one about the Franks. Well done and fun to watch too. Despite some of the language being a bit over-the-top and melodramatic, I very much enjoyed it though and think that it gives a really good overview of the origins of the Frankish people.

I'm looking forward to watching the others.

Great find BeornWulfWer! Thanks again!:thumbup

Frith...Aemma

Ormus
Friday, December 12th, 2008, 09:35 PM

Frith...Aemma

I have read that book as well it was rather funny at some points, and I thought it put in perspective how uncivilized the civilized Romans were. And how they kept technological developments at a stand still.

Vandal Lord
Friday, February 13th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Although you can watch these for free online, I recently purchased both Barbarians 1 and 2 cheaply and it was nice to watch them on a bigger screen. They are not historically perfect visually speaking but they did do decent job in depicting the Great Migration and Vikings periods. There are hardly any programs on these eras especially the Great Migration Age. There was still some occasional biased remarks about how savage these Germanics were and how the poor little Romans would suffer at their hands, even though the Romans themselves were once ruthless conquerors, but what goes around comes around.:D The hosts did acknowledge the legacy the Vikings and the Great Migration Age Germanics gave to Western Civilization though.

I thought they were all interesting episodes but I especially enjoyed the Goths, Vandals, Saxons and Vikings episodes. I watched them in this order: Huns, Franks, Goths, Lombards, Vandals, Saxons, Vikings and Mongols.