PDA

View Full Version : Bavarian Hotel Offers a Field of Dreams

Siebenbürgerin
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008, 01:38 AM
Welcome to the Bad Kissingen hotel: No room service, no bed, no wi-fi - no room at all in fact. Here in what is officially one of Germany's weirdest hotels, you sleep in a field.

It is laid out like a labyrinth in a wheat field in Bavaria in southern Germany. You arrive at "reception" - a circus tent - before being led along paths to one of 19 "rooms" where you sleep.

Forty-year-old Monika Fritz says she first had the idea when she heard on the radio a 1970s German folk hit called "Ein Bett im Kornfeld" ("Bed in a cornfield") by crooner Jürgen Drews. She then teamed up with local farmer and town councillor Otto Funck, 64, and the hotel is now in its seventh year, charging €7 ($10.30) a night - €3 for kids - plus €8 for a hearty breakfast.

"The people that come here are looking to get away from the everyday and to get close to nature," Fritz told AFP, who calls her business "romantic, good value and adventurous."

Dubbed the "thousand-star hotel," it is not quite under the stars that you spend the night, however. There is a small awning above you to keep the rain off, but through the open sides you can still see the night sky and the sunrise the next morning.

More at source:
http://www.thelocal.de/14071/20080902/

Hmm, I must say it's an innovative but strange idea.

BeornWulfWer
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008, 01:48 AM
For a second I thought Bavaria was offering a chance to meet Kevin Costner and an assortment of American baseball players!

The 'sleeping in a field' idea seems like a very good one, but I can't help shake the feeling that the experience of music festivals has now gone upmarket. :)

Guntwachar
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008, 02:13 AM
It can be me but why would anyone pay for that? if you want to sleep outside go outside and do it, thats what i do with friends nothing better then to find your own spot in nature.

Evolved
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008, 03:17 AM
It sounds romantic until you think of bugs and critters crawling on you while you sleep, not to mention itchiness caused by the hay, total lack of privacy (where are the bathrooms?) and obvious potential for crime.

If you love nature why not just go camping instead?

Thrymheim
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008, 04:36 AM
indeed it appears to be camping without the benefit of a tent

saxonblood
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Excellent post, I really wanted to spend some time in the Bavarian countryside, might find this 'hotel' ;)