PDA

View Full Version : Germany and Denmark to Sign Mega-Bridge Treaty

Dagna
Saturday, August 30th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Germany and Denmark to Sign Mega-Bridge Treaty

After 15 years of squabbling, Germany and Denmark will sign an agreement next week to build a bridge that will significantly expedite travel and trade between Scandinavia and the European mainland.

After fighting over who was going to pay for it for over 15 years and more than a year after hammering out the text of an agreement, Germany and Denmark are finally going to sign a treaty next week to build an enormous bridge between their countries by 2018.

Germany's Transport Minister Wolfgang Tiefensee and his Danish counterpart Carina Christensen are scheduled to meet next Wednesday in Copenhagen to sign the treaty allowing the construction of the €5.6 billion ($8.2 billion) bridge that will span the 19-kilometer (11.8-mile) divide between Puttgarden on the German island of Fehmarn and Rødby on the Danish island of Lolland. Both islands are in the Baltic Sea.

Once the treaty is signed, it will still need the approval of the Danish and German parliaments.

The bridge will significantly speed rail traffic and reduce driving times between Hamburg and Copenhagen from the current approximately four hours to about three. It will also make trade between northern Scandinavia and the European mainland much easier as it will complement the 17-kilometer (10.5-mile) Oresend Bridge completed in 2000 between the Swedish city of Malmo and Copenhagen.....

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,574723,00.html

Teuton
Saturday, August 30th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I think this bridge, even if costly, would pay for itself with all the trade and easy access it will make between the Northern Germanics and the Southern Germanics.

Æmeric
Saturday, August 30th, 2008, 02:03 PM
$8.2 billion seems like a lot to spend to eliminate 1 hours driving time between Hamburg & Copenhagen. Most likely the persons benefiting most from this venture will be the owners of the contruction companies involved.

BeornWulfWer
Saturday, August 30th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I would have to agree with Æmeric. Can't they think more wisely upon how to spend over £8 billion? Surely the countries of Denmark and Germany have other pressing issues to fund before considering the cutting of travel times!

Hauke Haien
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008, 02:51 AM
Bringing the North Germanic peoples one hour closer to us by means of a solid steel connection does not sound bad at all from a spiritual perspective.

The Fehmarn Belt bridge is at least cheaper than the proposed alternative, the Gedser-Rostock bridge, but I am not entirely sure if it is the better choice. Traffic to and from Berlin has higher growth potential and Rostock itself is not exactly unimportant when compared to the Ostholstein area.

Depending on the economic success of the first bridge, we might see the other being built as well.

SwordOfTheVistula
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008, 05:22 AM
$8.2 Billion doesn't sound that bad, that's half the cost of Boston's 'Big Dig' which merely replaced an overhead highway with an underground one of similar size.

Hauke Haien
Friday, September 5th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Perhaps I am being inconsiderate of the disproportionate burden placed on Denmark since I am not a tax-paying citizen of the Danish state. All I can think of is the fact that I have a more enticing opportunity to connect my next visit at my mother's family in Hamburg with a trip to my more distant Northern relatives.