PDA

View Full Version : A German Snack

CrystalRose
Monday, August 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Posting German snacks with a bit of history.. I'll start with my favorite. :)

Bretzeln or Pretzel is the perfect example of a German snack. You could purchase ready made or try making your own,

Bread: Bretzeln (Pretzels)
Historians trace the invention of the pretzel all the way back to 610 A.D. when French monks offered them to children as a reward for learning their prayers. These first pretzels were called "pretiola" which means little reward. In Austria and Germany, they became known as "bretzeln." German children used to tie bretzeln on a string around their necks at the beginning of every new year in hopes that they would receive prosperity, health and good fortune. In the 1800's, immigrants brought bretzeln with them to the U.S., where they became known as "pretzels."

Today, these soft pretzels are served warm salted or unsalted with sides of mustard, butter or cream cheese.

1 package of active dry yeast 1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons oil
tablespoon baking powder baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Then, mix in 1 1/4 cups flour, the oil and the sugar.
With an electric mixer, beat the mixture for 3 minutes or until smooth. Then stir in the rest of the flour until it forms into a loose ball.
On a lightly floured surface, kneed the dough for about 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Put the dough into an oiled bowl and cover. Place in a warm place until the dough doubles in size (Usually takes 1 hour).
Punch down the dough and divide in into 12 pieces. Form each section into a rope that is about 1 1/2 feet long.
Twist the dough into a pretzel shape - like an '8' and place on and oiled baking sheet. Cover until they have double in size (for about an hour).
In a large pot, boil several cups of water and add 1 tablespoon of baking soda for every cup of water. Gently put a pretzel in the water and let it boil for 20 seconds. Repeat with each pretzel and then place them on a baking sheet.
Sprinkle with course salt, if you would like and bake at 450 for 13 minutes or until golden brown.
Eat them while they are warm with mustard in the German fashion

Yum!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/slsprincess/pretzel.jpg