PDA

View Full Version : Good Places to Travel in South Africa?

gebirgsjager
Thursday, August 7th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Wheres good places to travel in SA thats not negro/liberal infested and or overly dangerous? Im starting to pick up Afrikaans and want to make holiday somewhere cool. Has anyone got an opinion on Orania, like are they dumn american traveller friendly?

Stormraaf
Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008, 12:49 AM
Wheres good places to travel in SA thats not negro/liberal infested and or overly dangerous? Im starting to pick up Afrikaans and want to make holiday somewhere cool. Has anyone got an opinion on Orania, like are they dumn american traveller friendly?

Whatever you do, stay away from the Gauteng province. That means no Johannesburg, no Pretoria. It's insanely dangerous. Gauteng is not a holiday destination anyway.

I'm not an authority on the topic of Orania, so I can't tell you anything about it. I get the impression that it's not anything to write poems about, though. And I'm pretty sure it's not a typical holiday destination either.

If I were to make a recommendation: Stellenbosch and perhaps the surrounding winelands. It's a common tourist destination (well... common enough, though you won't bump into other tourists all day), a short drive to Cape Town, and have been called the last Afrikaans bastion in SA.

Actually... I'm assuming a lot based on your saying you're picking up Afrikaans and asking about Orania. If it's not culture and history you're interested in, but caves and animals, it might be a different story. In any case, you can't go wrong with travelling in the Western Cape province, if you'll keep in mind that no place in South Africa is truly safe all of the time.

P.S. It might be worth mentioning that you don't need to know Afrikaans to travel in SA - everyone here knows English. If you speak a few awkward Afrikaans words to an Afrikaner, he'll love you for it, but will gladly converse in English (very much unlike the French, I hear).