PDA

View Full Version : Holland vs. Deutschland

andrea
Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 03:09 PM
I went in Germany, in Aachen,where I had a host family, and my host mother told me that German people are not agreeable with Holland people, and vice-versa. The fact is that we had a trip in Holland, and I got lost in Maastricht with a firend. I asked for help, in German, English language, and they said "we are tourist", or they spoke French to us. So no one helped us, until we found a hospital, and an assistant helped us.
I can not belive that all those, whom we asked, could not speak German or English, cause the city is near to Aachen(Germany), I think it is 30 km far.
So I just want to know, if my host mother from Germany was right.

Hrodnand
Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 03:22 PM
There's a girl whom I know in Haarlem and she told me the same. Though we are good friends for a long period now she is mocking me sometimes (with jokes).:p

GroeneWolf
Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM
First of all it is the Netherlands and not Holland. Just like Germany isn't Prussia for example. and secondly I have heard about it and there are still among some/many here that don't think high about Germans.

Hrodnand
Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 03:31 PM
and secondly I have heard about it and there are still among some/many here that don't think high about Germans.

And the main reason for that?

GroeneWolf
Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 03:38 PM
And the main reason for that?

My own theory about it thatbhas to do with WOII.

ysebaert
Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 06:44 PM
The people over here (Gelderland) don't seem to have a problem with Germans AFAIK.

Aragorn
Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 07:16 PM
It also depends which area in Netherlands you are.

In the borderregions, where I live myself, people are more seeing Germans as neighbours, also a significant numbers of Dutch moved to German towns across the border. Secondly, the eastern Dutch dialects are related to the German dialects.

People in the west of Netherlands usually are not well informed. In the East, many locals are negative about our western countrymen, due the fact of their ignorance. Not without reason we say that Netherlands start at Amersfoort:rolleyes:

If you where in my region, Andrea, you would be answered either in German or English. Most be due the fact that we are Saxons, not Franconians:D

Jäger
Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 07:25 PM
First of all it is the Netherlands and not Holland. Just like Germany isn't Prussia for example.
What about your national football team, is it from Holland? In the stadium I can hear you orange guys scream "Holland, Holland, Holland" ?

The Nether Germans in the Netherlands have the same inferior complex as every neighbor of Germany, they always seem to think we would look down on them etc.
The Swiss are especially touchy about this :D
I once told a guy from the Netherlands that they are Germans, and that it used to be this way for a long time, he didn't take it well, then again I didn't expect him to do so :D

andrea
Thursday, July 31st, 2008, 09:02 PM
First of all it is the Netherlands and not Holland. Just like Germany isn't Prussia for example. and secondly I have heard about it and there are still among some/many here that don't think high about Germans.

Have I insulted you somehow, cause I wrote Holland instead of Netherland? It was not my intetion. Sorry

GroeneWolf
Friday, August 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM
Have I insulted you somehow, cause I wrote Holland instead of Netherland? It was not my intetion. Sorry

No, but I only get tired that my coutry is mostly callled afther one of it's provinces. One of the more wealthier ones and the like. Depending on where from the country one comes some locals do not realy like being called Hollanders. For me iot is more a point of principle.

What about your national football team, is it from Holland? In the stadium I can hear you orange guys scream "Holland, Holland, Holland" ?

Just repeat a song with that a refrain long enough and the masses will sing/scream it. Call it making them used to it. Now the team, in theory it is selected from local teams from al over the country.

I once told a guy from the Netherlands that they are Germans, and that it used to be this way for a long time, he didn't take it well, then again I didn't expect him to do so :D

Not anymore since we fell under the Spanish branch of the Hasburg dysnasty, if not longer. So we are also not Germans for a very long time ;) .

Van Speijk
Friday, August 1st, 2008, 09:22 PM
I went in Germany, in Aachen,where I had a host family, and my host mother told me that German people are not agreeable with Holland people, and vice-versa. The fact is that we had a trip in Holland, and I got lost in Maastricht with a firend. I asked for help, in German, English language, and they said "we are tourist", or they spoke French to us. So no one helped us, until we found a hospital, and an assistant helped us.
I can not belive that all those, whom we asked, could not speak German or English, cause the city is near to Aachen(Germany), I think it is 30 km far.
Thanks:)Those people who spoke French to you, almost certainly were tourists, because not many Dutch people speak any other foreign language than English these days. :D

As to the others...

I have to say, I find it hard to believe people would't help you because you are German in this day and age. The people you asked probably really weren't locals, even if they were Dutch. It's not that unlikely, when you think about, in a destination like Maastricht, which attracts a lot of day-trippers, for the majority of people not really to know their way about the place themselves.

I get the feeling that the anti-German sentiments of olden days are quickly dying out as WW2 fades farther and farther away into the past.

Jäger
Saturday, August 2nd, 2008, 06:08 AM
Those people who spoke French to you, almost certainly were tourists, because not many Dutch people speak any other foreign language than English these days. :D
Nope, I made the same experience in Maastricht. I bet it was even a very broken kind of french they spoke to me, but my french skills are not good enough to judge :)

CrystalRose
Saturday, August 2nd, 2008, 07:25 AM

What if your dna consists of German and Dutch.. does this mean my cells are having it out?:p

Brynhild
Saturday, August 2nd, 2008, 01:59 PM
I can't say I fully understand why the Germans and Dutch aren't so predisposed towards each other, but I've noticed this attitude in Australia. My daughter was friendly with a girl from Munich, and our neighbours are Dutch. The same thing I seem to keep hearing is that each think the other is arrogant, carry on above their standing etc.

I guess there's no being rid of racial prejudices, regardless of where you live! :D

Jute
Saturday, August 2nd, 2008, 11:32 PM
I guess there's no being rid of racial prejudices, regardless of where you live! :DGood point, but I would say "tribal prejudices" when speaking of Dutch vs German. They are basically the same people when placed on the global stage.

If there is Dutch animosity against Germans, it is probably about the same level as the animosity that people from [insert a region of Germany] feel against [insert another region of Germany] :p

Thusnelda
Sunday, August 3rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
I think Dutch and Germans have a small "hate-love-relationship". :) While there aren´t less people who don´t have the highest sympathy for the neighbouring country (may it be the Netherlands or Germany) the amount of people who fell strong dislike or even hate for the neighbour is, gladly, very low!

I guess everyone has to suffer on it´s steretypes...and the "Holländer" are just famous for their flood of camping-wagons on our German Autobahnen (highways)...:p (Honestly, they REALLY seem to love their camping caravans! :D )

Guntwachar
Monday, August 4th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I guess everyone has to suffer on it´s steretypes...and the "Holländer" are just famous for their flood of camping-wagons on our German Autobahnen (highways)... (Honestly, they REALLY seem to love their camping caravans! )

We do;)

I guess the hatred thats still here from the ww2 is because of stories from grandparents, i still know when i was a small kid that the mother of my grandma would tell me stories about how the Germans invaded her city and killed her neighbours.
Because of that i used to be anti-German when i was younger, but i see us basicly as the same people.

Germans arent Dutch, and Dutch arent German we are the same people since before we were even called germans or dutch of course with some local differences.
Still Germans are i think together with the Flamish most related to us and are our Germanic brothers so i cant hate them for real about one war that i never experienced.

And yes i do ignore Germans sometimes to here not because they are German but i get sick of all the tourists here in the summer.:p

Boche
Monday, August 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I was often in the Netherlands. I experienced unfriendly dutch people, but also alot of very friendly ones. I wouldn't say that its really existant. I believe it exists everywhere. There are also people unfriendly towards germans in France, England, Poland etc.
Its just prejudice existing everywhere around the world. Nothing to take seriously.

Gruß,
Boche

Preuße
Wednesday, September 17th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I can't believe, that no one in Maastricht spoke at least English! Dutch people normally speak English and German fluent and in Maastricht is home of Maastricht University, a University where one can study completly in English.
And if you speak the local dialect of Aachen, just compare this dialect with the dialect that is spoken in Vaals and you'll see, there is no great difference.
Apart from football most Germans and Dutch respect each other, because particularly in the border region they are linked on business.